Single Stage Paint Finishing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 07:28 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Single Stage Paint Finishing

Hi

I've got a local shop who will be painting my new cowl induction steel hood. they offered my prices for single stage and BC/CC. their price was about
$200-300 cheaper for single stage. I opted for that. the remainder of the car is also single stage. It is not a show car - just a low budget muscle car.

My question is - what do I have to do, if anything to finish the job after they paint it. Is there anything I should do like sanding, buffing, etc, or is it just over and done with when they finish the painting? Are they supposed to be sanding and buffing between coats?

They are offering a price of $500 to paint the hood including 2 wide racing stripes. Sounds like a reasonable price. what do you think. they will not be painting the underside, they want another $100 for that.

the hood will be painted yellow with black racing stripes. It is for a 72 Nova.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2006, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejoy
Hi

I've got a local shop who will be painting my new cowl induction steel hood. they offered my prices for single stage and BC/CC. their price was about
$200-300 cheaper for single stage. I opted for that. the remainder of the car is also single stage. It is not a show car - just a low budget muscle car.

My question is - what do I have to do, if anything to finish the job after they paint it. Is there anything I should do like sanding, buffing, etc, or is it just over and done with when they finish the painting? Are they supposed to be sanding and buffing between coats?

They are offering a price of $500 to paint the hood including 2 wide racing stripes. Sounds like a reasonable price. what do you think. they will not be painting the underside, they want another $100 for that.

the hood will be painted yellow with black racing stripes. It is for a 72 Nova.
Single stage just means that it is not bc/cc. It could be lacquer (I hope not), acrylic enamel (older technology) or acrylic urethane (best). So, clarify with them what you are getting.

Sanding and buffing between coats? No, this is not done.

SS acrylic urethane can be sanded and buffed but is not necessary if the paint is applied smooth with little orange peel and dust. A pro shop shouldn't have any problem doing that.
If he is using acrylic enamel or urethane and is a good painter, this should be fine without any finish work needed by you. For a non-show car like you descibe, I think you are making the right choice.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

I guess the price sounds okay, but the material cost shouldn't be reak high being it is single stage, I am assuming solid colors. There are also different lines and paint types, so don't really know what you are getting. Is it just sand paint wait tape off stripes and shoot stripes, or is more work involved on that hood? Also labor rates can vary widely in different areas. To me it sounds just a little high if its a basic sand and shoot mask off simple stripes in with single stage. Like roger said if it is a urethane or enamel and he does a good job spraying it and doesn't get much for imperfections, no buffing would really be required. What also concerns me some, are they guarenteeing it will match. If that single stage on the rest of the car is a bit old and some or one of the colors has faded in that particular mix formula, getting a good match could require some paint matching and sprayouts.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:17 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1
Single stage just means that it is not bc/cc. It could be lacquer (I hope not), acrylic enamel (older technology) or acrylic urethane (best). So, clarify with them what you are getting.

Sanding and buffing between coats? No, this is not done.

SS acrylic urethane can be sanded and buffed but is not necessary if the paint is applied smooth with little orange peel and dust. A pro shop shouldn't have any problem doing that.
If he is using acrylic enamel or urethane and is a good painter, this should be fine without any finish work needed by you. For a non-show car like you descibe, I think you are making the right choice.
thanks for your opinion buddy. I means a lot to me and I appreciate it. I will ask them what type of single stage they are offering - hoping what you suggested - acrylic urethane.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:22 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17
I guess the price sounds okay, but the material cost shouldn't be reak high being it is single stage, I am assuming solid colors. There are also different lines and paint types, so don't really know what you are getting. Is it just sand paint wait tape off stripes and shoot stripes, or is more work involved on that hood? Also labor rates can vary widely in different areas. To me it sounds just a little high if its a basic sand and shoot mask off simple stripes in with single stage. Like roger said if it is a urethane or enamel and he does a good job spraying it and doesn't get much for imperfections, no buffing would really be required. What also concerns me some, are they guarenteeing it will match. If that single stage on the rest of the car is a bit old and some or one of the colors has faded in that particular mix formula, getting a good match could require some paint matching and sprayouts.
they did not guarantee a match - but if it's very close that's fine with me. Again its a low budget car - worth about $10,000. that doesnt mean I don't care about it, just that if I wanted the best of everything for the car I would be broke. I do all the other work on the car myself, but when it comes to body and paint I am inexperienced and need help. I live in chicago area. labor rates are high - approximately $70 to $80 per hour is average price. I think these guys are shaving about $150 off the price because I know the owner of the body shop a little bit and am friends with one of his son's brother in laws. Anyway I appreciate your help. sorry for the long response.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

really, I am only a few hours from chicago, and I think body shop rates around here are in the neighborhood of $50/hr here. Of course it may vary place to place. I work on semis and the shop rate where I work is $60/hr.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:11 PM

paint

It could be the single stage is simply the chroma and the clear mixed together - a technique shops like MAACO use to put out cheap paint jobs. ($350 for a compact - no prep work). Less paint, overall, and less labor. Works fine for general purposes. A friend of mine (professional) just recently tried something different - a single stage paint, which he liked for non-critical work.Compatable with chroma and clear. I don't have the information on it at hand, but it's supposed to be cheaper than using chroma and clear - I think he said it was about $150 gallon, and he was content with the results. Not 'show' quality.

As for the cost of painting the hood - how much prep work does the hood need?
Old 08-05-2006, 08:11 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
really, I am only a few hours from chicago, and I think body shop rates around here are in the neighborhood of $50/hr here. Of course it may vary place to place. I work on semis and the shop rate where I work is $60/hr.
you want to paint it? I'll give you the money instead of the shop. come on down. where you at?
Old 08-05-2006, 08:13 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1 -Volvo
It could be the single stage is simply the chroma and the clear mixed together - a technique shops like MAACO use to put out cheap paint jobs. ($350 for a compact - no prep work). Less paint, overall, and less labor. Works fine for general purposes. A friend of mine (professional) just recently tried something different - a single stage paint, which he liked for non-critical work.Compatable with chroma and clear. I don't have the information on it at hand, but it's supposed to be cheaper than using chroma and clear - I think he said it was about $150 gallon, and he was content with the results. Not 'show' quality.

As for the cost of painting the hood - how much prep work does the hood need?
the hood is new, steel, from goodmark. It's basically ready to paint except for a couple tiny dimples that need a little filler and sanding. that's about it.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

I am in Green Bay. I actually am kinda busy right now. Been working on a '89 mustang several weekends straight, including most of last weekend which was very hot and humid. I had to mask off hood, roof, decklid rear bumper for stripes and also the mustang name in the bumpers. It took the majority of the weekend to lay the paint. I am repainting a few panels above the mouldings due to sanding through where there were runs. With the tempd and activator I had the clear drying so fast on me, it was a fine line between leaving dry spots and getting a run. I still have to put it all back together once I fix those panels and still need to get back to a guy with an estimate on his trans am. Pretty worn out right now between my full time job and doinh side work. I am sure your friend will do a good job on it. Sorry I can't help you out. Just wanted to make you aware, match could be tricky on that with old single stage, just painting the hood. Here is a few pics of what has been keeping me so busy. The pic is of it in basecoat, which is why there isn't gloss. I'll take some more of it with the clear once I redo the panels and finish a little buffing I have to do yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	base1.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	13923   Click image for larger version

Name:	base2.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	13924   Click image for larger version

Name:	base3.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	13925   Click image for larger version

Name:	base4.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	13926  
Old 08-07-2006, 11:10 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
I am in Green Bay. I actually am kinda busy right now. Been working on a '89 mustang several weekends straight, including most of last weekend which was very hot and humid. I had to mask off hood, roof, decklid rear bumper for stripes and also the mustang name in the bumpers. It took the majority of the weekend to lay the paint. I am repainting a few panels above the mouldings due to sanding through where there were runs. With the tempd and activator I had the clear drying so fast on me, it was a fine line between leaving dry spots and getting a run. I still have to put it all back together once I fix those panels and still need to get back to a guy with an estimate on his trans am. Pretty worn out right now between my full time job and doinh side work. I am sure your friend will do a good job on it. Sorry I can't help you out. Just wanted to make you aware, match could be tricky on that with old single stage, just painting the hood. Here is a few pics of what has been keeping me so busy. The pic is of it in basecoat, which is why there isn't gloss. I'll take some more of it with the clear once I redo the panels and finish a little buffing I have to do yet.
the mustang looks nice. lots of work though - which is ok if you have the time for it. I do most of my work during the winter when the car is in the garage and not driven. during the summer I like driving it around. anyway I will bring it into the painter later this week and cough up $500 for a single stage paint job with 2 racing stripes. I have no choice if I want it to look good. i can't do it myself. no experience and most importantly no painting equipment and paint shop. I hate paying someone to work on my car but I've learned to deal with it. If I can do 80% of the work and pay someone to do the other 20% thats' just the way it is. For example I paid the machine shop $800 last winter to recondition, rebuilt and port/polish my big block chevy heads. they did a valve job, new seats, springs, valves, seals, guides, etc. big difference when I put them back on. Lots more power. but it would be nice though to have someone nearby that does body work for me. I'm willing to pay a good buck (like $30 to $40 per hour) for someone to do a sidejob working on my 72 nova body. I'm in chicago west suburbs. If anybody out there is interested contact me.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.