Hot Rod Forum banner

Single stage racing stripes without ridges

10K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
This question comes from someone who has never painted a car. For racing stripes, I've read that most people shoot the base color and stripes, color sand the edges of the stripes, then clear over everything. Is it possible to have racing stripes without ridges using only single stage paint and no clear coat? Since I'm using solid colors (candy apple red with white stripes), I want to use single stage urethane, hoping I could color sand and buff after the stripes are on to knock the ridges down a bit if not completely.

#4 ·
A true candy is a 3 stage paint, but there are lots of other
paints that have a color named "candy apple red"
It's a generic term that doesn't necessarily mean it's a
real candy paint. Just a name for a color.
Very few real candy's out there anymore. :pimp:

#5 ·
I've taped off for stripes with fine line then painted stripes. Then when dry taped off the stripes again with fine line and done my paint job. Tring to keep paint levels the same and it works some what but you still end up with a little of a edge at tape line.

#7 ·
This is of course not a car but this is how I do my planes. This is single stage Centari. The white is laid down but the gold area is taped off with fine line tape. After the white is painted, the tape is removed then the gold section taped off. The paint sections are butted up against each other. I have done several projects this way.

To get an idea of the size of the plane look at the tire marks on the concrete behind the plane.

#8 ·
Here's an idea that I read on another forum that sounds like it could work well without clear coating everything...

"One thing to consider, you will want to have the edge as straight as possible on your first color. Spend extra time making it perfect and the edge sealed tight to the body as this will also serve as your finished line when sanding the two colors off. Lay the first color like coreyd mentioned, you want extra thickness for future sanding. When taping the second color tape as close to the first color as possible giving a little to the second color going onto the first color vs. leaving any blank space between colors. As you sand the two colors where they overlap you will remove any overlap as you come down to the original perfect straight edge you created in the first step. Just becareful to sand down only far enough to achive that edge and not sand through either color."

Any opinions for or against this idea?

Mike

#11 ·
Here is an article on a method I have used for years on two tone masking.

http://www.autobodystore.com/ms24.shtml

If you use this method the edge is WAY less sharp and needs very little buffing to get where you would need to do MUCH more sanding and buffing to be if you leave the hard line.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.