Single stage vs Two Stage vs 50% base/clear - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
That's not what the tech sheets say.
I did what the owner of SPI (the clear I used) told me was best.
Spray the single stage and wait over night then clear it.
Kirker says the clear MUST be topped within 24 hrs of the color.
(not sanded).
I found it best to wait at least 3 hrs to keep it from mottleing the
metallics but overnight is sure safer.
I didn't sand before the clear, I didn't want to disturb the metallics.
Like I said. mine is almost 4 yrs old, driven daily and has held up better
than any basecoat/clearcoat I've done.
Are you saying you used a SS metallic and used SPI over it ????
and its looks better than any BC/CC you ever did?

I think you misunderstood something ..or he misunderstood you...no one with any experience would say to do that unless they were trying to get you of the phone its about the biggest waste of time there is
SS metallic dosn't even come close to the look of BC/CC because no matter what you do it wont dry quick enough and the metalics wont stand up they always lay down because the paints wet...BC on the other hand drys quick and you can stand them up so theres a BIG difference in the way they reflect light...
Now ,with solid SS colors its totally differnt you would let it dry... the longer the better this way it'll shrink and when you sand it your leveling it ,getting rid of the extra thickness,getting rid of trash and giving the clear something to stick to....and all that material wont be shrinking all at once,showing sand scratches later on .But even thats kinda a waste of time if your only going to clear it with out intermixing color/clear ...the depth is the same ,you would be better off just doing a BC/CC job its way faster ...
So, if you let it sit over night and dont sand the trash out then clear it you couldnt have sanded and buffed it if you did you would know right away why we sand SS before clearing it ...the trash in the SS will pop through when you sand the clear and you'll see that for sure....
if you were told to clear over SS metallic you were told wrong you gained nothing ....I only use SPI clear so I know it very well its very good but it'll never make SS metallic look good no clear will...shinier but thats about it... But as long as YOUR happy with it thats all that matters...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
Why so quick to contradict me?
I didn't. I only asked you a question.

I may take time to contradict you in the future, though, if I feel your advice is unsound enough to require it.

The question of whether or not to put clear over a single stage paint job mostly comes down to personal preference and intended use, there is no one right answer for every job and situation.

As to application techniques, it's best to defer to people with long experience in producing excellent results. Shine is in that category.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:49 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

once again a thread turned into useless bs .
Old 09-15-2010, 03:07 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

and for the record a ss metallic will look 10 times better with a clear coat over it.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1960apache
I keep forgetting to get other peoples input. I have been playing around with some panels. One with single stage black, another base/clear black and another single stage base, with single stage 50% clear mix. In pictures they look about the same, but in the sun, the single stage seems to just have more depth and gloss, but I am not sure if it is just my imagination.
What go me thinking is, I saw some reruns of American Hot Rod, and noticed that Boyd used single stage on most of the projects that were on the show, but they never say why?
Also, how much effect does the final grade of paper used to do the last sanding before painting? 400 vs 800 or ??
Let me know your thoughts and experiences. I have few projects that will be Black. Some black cars I see in the shows, just look like liquid black plastic and a mile deep shine, where others look good straight on, but looking down the side seems like they look "cloudy" is the only way to explain it!
Here is a good example of one that just looks what I am talking about, in the sun or florescent light, it looks great.
Sometimes there are differences in the brands as to how they look in the sun and this is where one needs to spend a bit of cash to see just which ones look the best for you. Beleive it or not black can be a tough color to make and not have it turn out muddy or brownish..I think in this case it may be better to go with a top line material..as far as sanding is concerned you may not need to after the first coat goes on at all unless the bugs or dustbunnies bite you..I think you are on the right track to shoot some test panels..

Sam
Old 09-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
and for the record a ss metallic will look 10 times better with a clear coat over it.
10 times better yes (shinier) but still ,nothing like a metallic BC/CC it's impossible ...gravity always wins, it pulls the metalics down ...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
10 times better yes (shinier) but still ,nothing like a metallic BC/CC it's impossible ...gravity always wins, it pulls the metalics down ...
You have some insight on the mater. The rest of it just seems like a big pissing match. I will just be a spectator from now on. I have already worn out my welcome.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
you obviously have not done much custom work or you would know how to suspend the metallics . base coat is primarily for collision work. where speed is required. you'll get better adhesion with ss and a much better base for your clear. base coat is the weak link in the job and will be the source for any problems you have. this is the reason it is activated by most painters.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

I think you misunderstood something ..or he misunderstood you...no one with any experience would say to do that unless they were trying to get you of the phone its about the biggest waste of time there is
Copy and paste from Deadbodyman.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well Jim, is a personal friend, so I really doubt, I would give him bad advice to get rid of him.

Keep me out of this post please, I'm a tree hugger and hate the wasteful use of paper as it kills trees.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM

OK ,so if you can get good results with it you must know something I dont.You stated you have to know how to suspend the metallics (automotive painting 101) so with all my experiance 35yrs of painting and I cant do it ,Your going to recomend it to someone just starting out??? I agree with you on one thing Shine ,this thread is turning into BS...and is starting to sound like a pissing contest...but the fact is I've never seen a SS metalilic look "great" and I simply wont believe it unless I see it up close and personal...none of the painters I've ever met in 35 yrs will agree either...As far as I know the only shops that use SS metallics are the Econo types where a full paint job costs 275.00...wanna explain to these guys how you do it or just let them see for themselves ???
It would be wise to try ALL these styles on a test panel like an old hood or something so you guys can see what works best for you....
Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 AM

Barry,
Your a great guy and have many personal friends...anyone thats ever met you or talked to you on the phone (me included) Thats a lot of people..If I'm wrong about this SS metallic just say so, I can handle it...from you..and might even give it some consideration...I didnt even know anyone made a good quality SS metallic paint...heck I've been wrong once or twice before so have you ...but I still gotta see it to believe it ....it seems to defiy the laws of gravity...and makes no sence to me.
I dont know if you've noticed but I'm a tree hugger too.you going to the big meeting this weekend???
Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Mike,
Both point sides are right on certain things, one way does not fit all and the poor guy that posted the question, was spammed right off, so I'm sure he is just scratching his head at this point, in pure confusion.

Thread is just not worth anything now as too much bull posted.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Well guys shall I dump or close this thread..?? let me know..

Sam
Old 09-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Too bad the irrelevant stuff could not be edited out, I would edit mine out if I could. I apologize for my role in the fiasco.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

jc clark gave him the right answer before it became a zoo. go ahead and dump it .

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.