Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Single stage vs Two Stage vs 50% base/clear (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/single-stage-vs-two-stage-vs-50-base-clear-184317.html)

a1960apache 09-12-2010 12:54 PM

Single stage vs Two Stage vs 50% base/clear

I keep forgetting to get other peoples input. I have been playing around with some panels. One with single stage black, another base/clear black and another single stage base, with single stage 50% clear mix. In pictures they look about the same, but in the sun, the single stage seems to just have more depth and gloss, but I am not sure if it is just my imagination.
What go me thinking is, I saw some reruns of American Hot Rod, and noticed that Boyd used single stage on most of the projects that were on the show, but they never say why?
Also, how much effect does the final grade of paper used to do the last sanding before painting? 400 vs 800 or ??
Let me know your thoughts and experiences. I have few projects that will be Black. Some black cars I see in the shows, just look like liquid black plastic and a mile deep shine, where others look good straight on, but looking down the side seems like they look "cloudy" is the only way to explain it!
Here is a good example of one that just looks what I am talking about, in the sun or florescent light, it looks great.

jcclark 09-13-2010 11:58 AM

Single stage paints are well known for being richer/deeper in color.
I like single stage urethane with a clearcoat for the best look.
I won't use single stage enamel or lacquer, period, it's much less durable
and not much difference in money.
Enamel stays soft forever, even with a hardener.
Lacquer gets rock hard and chips easily.
So when you say single stage, which one?
Lacquer, enamel or urethane?
Big difference between all of them. :mwink:

V8&4spd 09-13-2010 12:24 PM

Why would you want to use clear on a single stage? I would use the money from the clear and buy some more black. You can color sand it or use the extra paint to top coat it again years down the road or use it for touch ups.

V8&4spd 09-13-2010 12:46 PM

I can show you what a single stage black urethane looks like after years in the sun without any washing, waxing or polishing and then what it looks like with some polish.

V8&4spd 09-13-2010 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Original paint on a inner fender.

V8&4spd 09-13-2010 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Inner fender with epoxy primer and a single stage black urethane paint. The activator for the paint was already years old when used. The paint has not had anything done to it since it was put on. It sat out in the direct sunlight for years.

V8&4spd 09-13-2010 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Inner fender rinsed off with water, color sanded with 800 and then rubed with polishing compound. You can see the UV rays have already started to break down the paint, you can see the epoxy primer. Even with clear on there at this point the paint would be shot.

jcclark 09-13-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8&4spd
Why would you want to use clear on a single stage? .

For one reason the mfg. recommended it.
I used a Kirker SS urethane that had a large metallic in it and the tech
sheets recommend to clear coat it.
It's a color used for a base under candy.
I would clear anyway when I'm going to cut and buff a metallic,
you really don't want to sand into the metallic to buff it.
I've seen a lot of "show cars" with clear coated single stage paint.
It's one of the best looking paint combos out there, and durable.
My car's paint is almost 4 yrs old and still looks as good as new,
I drive it everyday and haven't got the first chip,
That paint has been unbelievable for durability.
And the color was about a third of the cost of basecoat.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3.../IMG_0013a.jpg

Here's the paint I used
http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/imag...UCB_Series.pdf

V8&4spd 09-13-2010 06:22 PM

That"s a metalic color. On solid colors I would not use clear. The sun here will end up destoying anything you put on it. The same paint without the sun beating down on it won't have the same problem. Black is the hottest color, it aborbs the sun. When I get ready to use the inner fenders, I will scuff it up and shoot some more black on. That paint will go the distance without the UV rays breaking it down.

V8&4spd 09-13-2010 07:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is single stage with no clear less than 2 hours after it was put on.

SuthnCustoms 09-13-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8&4spd
That"s a metalic color. On solid colors I would not use clear. The sun here will end up destoying anything you put on it. The same paint without the sun beating down on it won't have the same problem. Black is the hottest color, it aborbs the sun. When I get ready to use the inner fenders, I will scuff it up and shoot some more black on. That paint will go the distance without the UV rays breaking it down.

So a good clear coat won't help with durability and wear and tear over a SS urethane?
I thought it would protect it from the elements,plus easy to sand scratches out later,plus a good cut n buff give it a better shine?

I'm no pro,just my thoughts on it

V8&4spd 09-13-2010 08:43 PM

When UV rays destroys the clear on high line factory cars, how do you expect it to make a single stage last longer? In the desert you are only going to get a certain amount of years out of a paint job on car that is outside all the time. There is not a single make of car with a BC/CC that is imune to the sun. It gets them all, BMW, Lexus, Cadilac. White paint last the longest.

V8&4spd 09-13-2010 09:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is the same paint. The picture with the black in it was right after it was put on.

V8&4spd 09-14-2010 01:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the paint after 4.5 years. For what it cost I am not complaining. I would do it all over again the same way.

deadbodyman 09-14-2010 02:26 PM

heres my perception of urethane paint in my simple minded version.
bare in mind I'm only talking about solid colors and never use SS metalics.
I consider solid color,SS ,urethane,paint to be clear with color added ..
so if I want a noticeable difference in depth first goes 2-3 coats of color and let it dry a couple days then I'll sand it with 600-800 mix some color and clear together (I do it by eye so I cant tell you the ratio) maybe 1/3 color 2/3 clear,I'll apply 2 coats of that ,let it dry a couple days sand it with 800 and shoot 2 coats of clear ...this seams to give me some very good depth and it takes a long time so I don't do it very often but it sure looks impressive the car has to be stripped first and I would never do it over another paint job. also just because it works for me and is a personal trick of mine I don't recommend anyone doing it until they painted a few cars.and can tell when the SS paint is dry enough to be re-coated.Also the paint has to be of the same brand and mixing ratios