Hot Rod Forum banner

Single or two stage Urethane?

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
I have looked through the past posts and wasn't able to find a good answer to this question.
I am going to get my 59 mopar painted in a few weeks with an original 1959 Mopar turquoise solid color. The painter is going to use PPG urethane and said I could go with either single stage or two stage urethane. Because the car will always be waxed and stored in a garage, and not a daily driver, he said the single stage would last me about as long as two stage and save me a little money. He would sand and buff the single stage too.
Would the single stage look more like 1959? The car is kind of a sleeper hot rod. Would the clear coat look better on a hot rod and be much more durable? I have spent so much money already I wouldn't do single stage just to save the money. I appreciate any advice from all the experienced people on this site!

#2 ·
Single stage are for jobs where economy is the main requirement. They will shine and last well but you will not get the depth of gloss that putting the clear over the finish will provide. Sincle Stage will have the look of an older paint job. The 2 stage (clear coat) will look like the new cars and sparkle, the single stage not so much. But the single stage will still shine up nicely.

#5 ·
The durability of the single stage urethane and the BC/CC is the same. Some guys mix urethane clear in with the last coat of single stage to give some depth to the color also. The big advantage of the BC/CC is two-fold. First of all if your paint is a metallic you certainly want a BC/CC because color sanding a metallic single stage can really make it look bad (mottled) Secondly, blending repairs is more easily accomplished with a BC/CC than it is with a SSU

#6 ·
One of the biggest misconceptions is that SS is cheap paint and wont last...NOT true...as long as your using a quality paint,keep in mind just because you are using a BC/CC dosent mean it'll last 2 stage paint comes in the cheap stuff also...
When done properly NOBODY can tell SS(solid color) from BC/CC (solid color)untill you actually sand it...
The problems and reason for SS getting a bad rap is is with SS metallics they might look ok but nothing like the chrispness of 2 stage metallic so dont use SS "metallic"... for solid colors SS is great,easier and faster to spray...PPG has a good SS so I wouldnt have any problem whatso ever using it.
I've got SS jobs that I did 10 years ago and they're still looking good...

#8 ·
I'm doing a show paint right now thats Black using SPI's SS black, a high quality urathane...one thing you can do after its painted is sand the SS with 800 or so and then clear for extra UV protection... its going to cost extra because its like two paint jobs...the one advantage this has is since the clear and the color are the same material they work better together and you wont have any problems later on with delamination of the clear ,especially around stone chips and such something a 2 stage tends to do after a few years...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.