Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-site-suggestions-help/)
-   -   Site Freezing (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/site-freezing-229780.html)

123pugsy 02-20-2013 12:19 PM

Site Freezing

I was having problems at home a while back and still am with a 20 second freeze/delay every time I click a page.

I am now getting the same thing on my work computer except the freezing is only about ten seconds.

Windows XP with IE8.
Anyone else have the same issues?

Is my operating system out dated for todays web sites? :smash::smash::smash:

painted jester 02-20-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123pugsy (Post 1648412)
I was having problems at home a while back and still am with a 20 second freeze/delay every time I click a page.

I am now getting the same thing on my work computer except the freezing is only about ten seconds.

Windows XP with IE8.

My XP works great the only delays or freezing I get is on threads with Utube in them like the music one! My other computers have Win 7 & 8 They suck! Man don't get Win 8 it is the S$%^#!!!!!

Jester

123pugsy 02-20-2013 04:51 PM

Thanks.

Maybe I'll have to reinstall Windows.

gearheadslife 02-20-2013 07:59 PM

go into internet options and clear out your web history..

killeratrod 02-20-2013 08:40 PM

Only happens when you post to many thing on here! LOL

Helena 02-21-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123pugsy (Post 1648412)

Windows XP with IE8.

Did you try deleting your cookies?

gearheadslife 02-21-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helena (Post 1648810)

on my computer the right mouse button acts like the left.. and only here..

go to use right to open a thread in new tab. and it left clicks...
again only here..
not at
gearheadslife
monte carlo SS
yellow bullet
team chevelle
team camaro
etc etc

123pugsy 02-21-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helena (Post 1648810)

I got about 5 seconds off the freeze up after deleting cookies.

It's only this site of all the sites I visit. :pain:

It just started out of the blue within the last couple of months.

OLNOLAN 02-26-2013 04:43 PM

Having problems too

I have been having the same problems. The problem appears to be related to all the adware services that have to load. Every single time you try to use the back button to exit a thread or click on another thread or another page all that adware crap (cookies I guess) has to reload again. Why can't it all load one time when you get on the site, then allow you to move around the site without it having to reload with every action? Its even worse when you're just browsing without logging in because you then have to wait for the page ads to load also. On several occasions the site just locked up requiring me to turn my PC off to reboot and clear.

I don't have this problem anywhere but here at HR. and one other auto related site, come to think of it, I believe that site is also owned by the same firm.

If I delete my browsing history it speeds up a little bit, but gets back slow again within a few minutes of activity. If I delete the history which removes the cookies, then run a Norton scan, the Norton usually finds 20-30 more cookies.

Another issue is when I try to log out, I have to log out twice. It tells me that I'm logged out, but I'm stilled logged in until I log out a second time.

Please speed it up, its become real aggravating.

123pugsy 02-26-2013 06:23 PM

A pain in the butt is right. :pain:

I hardly check the site anymore because of this issue.

Irelands child 02-27-2013 07:05 AM

Currently, no problems on Hotrodders as I have totally given up on IE whatever version. It was/is the pits on my computers as far as freeze up or just dumping you completely. I switched over to Mozilla Firefox and seldom have any problems - yeah, sometimes, but probably not more then once every couple months, if that often, and it is probably the ISP. While I haven't tried it, Google Chrome is also supposed to work just as well. You just download Firefox (it's free too), tell your computer which you want to use as default in the Windows options. IE is still there but dormant, that is it's on your hard drive, but not being used. As far as XP - you had best be looking for a replacement as MS will stop XP support on April 8, 2014. And worse - you just can't load Win 7 or 8 on many if not most older computers - I have 2 that will need replacement:pain: including the nice big, fast desktop I'm using to type this.

Technical skills needed to try another search engine - if you can turn your 'puter on, then follow the directions here: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser , that about all it is. You may have to import your bookmarks - been many changes over the last 5-6 years since I made the move, so don't really know if it can be done automatically. Then download the Adblock add on to dump those annoying pop ups.

Dave W

poncho62 02-27-2013 07:46 AM

I am just wondering what the people who are having these problems are using as computers, ram, operating systems etc?...It seems to me that these days, the faster your computer, the better....For instance, if you are still using XP with 1 gig of ram or less, you are going to have trouble...especially on a big complicated site such as this one.....Smaller sites may run fine because there isnt so much to load.......Just my thoughts, I may be wrong, but to me that makes sense

OLNOLAN 02-27-2013 09:02 AM

thanks

Thanks Dave, I remember you cussing google sometime back. I too have come to believe that google has become too intrusive. Proof is in the pudding, earlier this morning I swapped to the google chrome and its wayyy faster. It appears that the regular googles adware junk is the culprit.
Alot of stuff is still linking, but at an accelerated speed. I'm gonna give the chrome a try for a few days and see if it continues to speed things up. I now need to learn the chrome system. Still haven't figured out how to import my favorites list. :smash::thumbup:
Nolan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child (Post 1651083)
Currently, no problems on Hotrodders as I have totally given up on IE whatever version. It was/is the pits on my computers as far as freeze up or just dumping you completely. I switched over to Mozilla Firefox and seldom have any problems - yeah, sometimes, but probably not more then once every couple months, if that often, and it is probably the ISP. While I haven't tried it, Google Chrome is also supposed to work just as well. You just download Firefox (it's free too), tell your computer which you want to use as default in the Windows options. IE is still there but dormant, that is it's on your hard drive, but not being used. As far as XP - you had best be looking for a replacement as MS will stop XP support on April 8, 2014. And worse - you just can't load Win 7 or 8 on many if not most older computers - I have 2 that will need replacement:pain: including the nice big, fast desktop I'm using to type this.

Technical skills needed to try another search engine - if you can turn your 'puter on, then follow the directions here: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser , that about all it is. You may have to import your bookmarks - been many changes over the last 5-6 years since I made the move, so don't really know if it can be done automatically. Then download the Adblock add on to dump those annoying pop ups.

Dave W

OLNOLAN 02-27-2013 09:09 AM

Google

Thanks for the input Harry,see my post above. I think its the regular Google thats slowing things down.:smash::smash:
Nolan

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho62 (Post 1651087)
I am just wondering what the people who are having these problems are using as computers, ram, operating systems etc?...It seems to me that these days, the faster your computer, the better....For instance, if you are still using XP with 1 gig of ram or less, you are going to have trouble...especially on a big complicated site such as this one.....Smaller sites may run fine because there isnt so much to load.......Just my thoughts, I may be wrong, but to me that makes sense

gearheadslife 02-27-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho62 (Post 1651087)

newish dell 5 core laptop
16 gigs of ram..
windows 7 (8 is rumored to look like a smartphone app page)
cookies always cleared once a week..
my 5y/o dell with xp and 4gigs of ram works better here..
than the newer faster..
I'm on dsl if that matters
to cheap to pay 60 a month for cable internet