Site Freezing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Site Freezing

I was having problems at home a while back and still am with a 20 second freeze/delay every time I click a page.

I am now getting the same thing on my work computer except the freezing is only about ten seconds.

Windows XP with IE8.
Anyone else have the same issues?

Is my operating system out dated for todays web sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I was having problems at home a while back and still am with a 20 second freeze/delay every time I click a page.

I am now getting the same thing on my work computer except the freezing is only about ten seconds.

Windows XP with IE8.

My XP works great the only delays or freezing I get is on threads with Utube in them like the music one! My other computers have Win 7 & 8 They suck! Man don't get Win 8 it is the S$%^#!!!!!

Jester
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

Thanks.

Maybe I'll have to reinstall Windows.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

go into internet options and clear out your web history..
Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Only happens when you post to many thing on here! LOL
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post

Windows XP with IE8.

Did you try deleting your cookies?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
on my computer the right mouse button acts like the left.. and only here..

go to use right to open a thread in new tab. and it left clicks...
again only here..
not at
gearheadslife
monte carlo SS
yellow bullet
team chevelle
team camaro
etc etc
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

I got about 5 seconds off the freeze up after deleting cookies.

It's only this site of all the sites I visit.

It just started out of the blue within the last couple of months.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Having problems too

I have been having the same problems. The problem appears to be related to all the adware services that have to load. Every single time you try to use the back button to exit a thread or click on another thread or another page all that adware crap (cookies I guess) has to reload again. Why can't it all load one time when you get on the site, then allow you to move around the site without it having to reload with every action? Its even worse when you're just browsing without logging in because you then have to wait for the page ads to load also. On several occasions the site just locked up requiring me to turn my PC off to reboot and clear.

I don't have this problem anywhere but here at HR. and one other auto related site, come to think of it, I believe that site is also owned by the same firm.

If I delete my browsing history it speeds up a little bit, but gets back slow again within a few minutes of activity. If I delete the history which removes the cookies, then run a Norton scan, the Norton usually finds 20-30 more cookies.

Another issue is when I try to log out, I have to log out twice. It tells me that I'm logged out, but I'm stilled logged in until I log out a second time.

Please speed it up, its become real aggravating.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

A pain in the butt is right.

I hardly check the site anymore because of this issue.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Currently, no problems on Hotrodders as I have totally given up on IE whatever version. It was/is the pits on my computers as far as freeze up or just dumping you completely. I switched over to Mozilla Firefox and seldom have any problems - yeah, sometimes, but probably not more then once every couple months, if that often, and it is probably the ISP. While I haven't tried it, Google Chrome is also supposed to work just as well. You just download Firefox (it's free too), tell your computer which you want to use as default in the Windows options. IE is still there but dormant, that is it's on your hard drive, but not being used. As far as XP - you had best be looking for a replacement as MS will stop XP support on April 8, 2014. And worse - you just can't load Win 7 or 8 on many if not most older computers - I have 2 that will need replacement including the nice big, fast desktop I'm using to type this.

Technical skills needed to try another search engine - if you can turn your 'puter on, then follow the directions here: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser , that about all it is. You may have to import your bookmarks - been many changes over the last 5-6 years since I made the move, so don't really know if it can be done automatically. Then download the Adblock add on to dump those annoying pop ups.

Dave W
The Following User Says Thank You to Irelands child For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I am just wondering what the people who are having these problems are using as computers, ram, operating systems etc?...It seems to me that these days, the faster your computer, the better....For instance, if you are still using XP with 1 gig of ram or less, you are going to have trouble...especially on a big complicated site such as this one.....Smaller sites may run fine because there isnt so much to load.......Just my thoughts, I may be wrong, but to me that makes sense
OLNOLAN (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

thanks

Thanks Dave, I remember you cussing google sometime back. I too have come to believe that google has become too intrusive. Proof is in the pudding, earlier this morning I swapped to the google chrome and its wayyy faster. It appears that the regular googles adware junk is the culprit.
Alot of stuff is still linking, but at an accelerated speed. I'm gonna give the chrome a try for a few days and see if it continues to speed things up. I now need to learn the chrome system. Still haven't figured out how to import my favorites list.
Nolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Currently, no problems on Hotrodders as I have totally given up on IE whatever version. It was/is the pits on my computers as far as freeze up or just dumping you completely. I switched over to Mozilla Firefox and seldom have any problems - yeah, sometimes, but probably not more then once every couple months, if that often, and it is probably the ISP. While I haven't tried it, Google Chrome is also supposed to work just as well. You just download Firefox (it's free too), tell your computer which you want to use as default in the Windows options. IE is still there but dormant, that is it's on your hard drive, but not being used. As far as XP - you had best be looking for a replacement as MS will stop XP support on April 8, 2014. And worse - you just can't load Win 7 or 8 on many if not most older computers - I have 2 that will need replacement including the nice big, fast desktop I'm using to type this.

Technical skills needed to try another search engine - if you can turn your 'puter on, then follow the directions here: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser , that about all it is. You may have to import your bookmarks - been many changes over the last 5-6 years since I made the move, so don't really know if it can be done automatically. Then download the Adblock add on to dump those annoying pop ups.

Dave W

Last edited by OLNOLAN; 02-27-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spellin-google not goggle
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Google

Thanks for the input Harry,see my post above. I think its the regular Google thats slowing things down.
Nolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I am just wondering what the people who are having these problems are using as computers, ram, operating systems etc?...It seems to me that these days, the faster your computer, the better....For instance, if you are still using XP with 1 gig of ram or less, you are going to have trouble...especially on a big complicated site such as this one.....Smaller sites may run fine because there isnt so much to load.......Just my thoughts, I may be wrong, but to me that makes sense
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post

newish dell 5 core laptop
16 gigs of ram..
windows 7 (8 is rumored to look like a smartphone app page)
cookies always cleared once a week..
my 5y/o dell with xp and 4gigs of ram works better here..
than the newer faster..
I'm on dsl if that matters
to cheap to pay 60 a month for cable internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.