Site upgrade complete - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Have you tried right clicking on the highlighted words?

What I dislike about changing browsers or spellcheckers is you have to "teach it"; add all the compound words, proper nouns, etc. to it so the page doesn't light up like a freaking Christmas tree.
God yeah!
I dislike even doing a spell-check as it highlights so many things that aren't even words (eg "D1AZ-6565-A"), slang (eg "dunno" -- suggests "doughnut") ... etc.

The laughable part is that it allows things like "I have 12 x 2 breaks on my car"

It's too bad that they stopped teaching spelling and grammar in schools ... before word processors and spell-checking. Anyone else remember getting a hand-written essay back from the teacher with a bunch of red circles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
My mozila firefox works good but the spell check on this site when working was better !!!

Chris
I've actually used both together. I would correct the stuff highlighted by Firefox first, and then run the spell check from this site. The one thing I did not like about the spell check on this site was if you wrote a long-winded post (I usually do), and the spell check picked up on a word but didn't offer the correct correction, you had to do it manually by returning to the post. Often times, I would forget where the misspelled word was had to rerun the site spell check to locate it. Minor issue, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
What I dislike about changing browsers or spellcheckers is you have to "teach it"; add all the compound words, proper nouns, etc. to it so the page doesn't light up like a freaking Christmas tree.
Really? Mine lights up because I have keyboard dyslexia. Despite my long-winded-ness ( <<== this word just got highlighted!), I guess I use pretty simple words.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Im a pretty good speller but when I type I make a lot of mistakes that I dont catch like witch and which I dont know why But the site spell check was better then fire fox or google or chrome It caught a few engineering terms and mechanical terms the others didn't! And I remember slide rules and ink wells and Parker pens you put the Indian ink in, we didn't have ball point pens LOL "66 GMC"

Jester
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Last journal entry: Front fenders cont.
Last photo:

Photo Journals

Any luck on the my journal issue?
Chief
Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Im a pretty good speller but when I type I make a lot of mistakes that I dont catch like witch and which
... Jester
Yeah, and that was my point ... the spell-checker won't catch those kind of errors either.

eg. "Can somebody look at this pitcher of my breaks and tell me what this leaver is for?"
(Actually it might catch "leaver" and suggest "beaver")

Edit:
FWIW, I just copied/pasted that sentence above into Microsoft Word 2010 and ran it's sophisticated spell-checker. No red OR green wavy lines at all!

Last edited by 66GMC; 07-16-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 PM

Last journal entry: Seats
Last photo:

my photo journal doesn't work. when I go to the photo journal page, it doesn't even show that I'm logged in. as soon as I click on the forum tab, I'm magically registered somehow.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTfast View Post
my photo journal doesn't work. when I go to the photo journal page, it doesn't even show that I'm logged in. as soon as I click on the forum tab, I'm magically registered somehow.
FWIW ... The project journals have always required a seperate login.

According to what Helena has posted elsewhere ... the reason that your (everyone's) journal isn't working is an upgrade to the vBulletin software.

She ensures us all that they are working on the transition, that it's a big job, and asks for us all to be patient.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
Anyone else remember getting a hand-written essay back from the teacher with a bunch of red circles?
That was back when teachers actually taught. Back before they had to worry about kids (or their parents) coming to the classroom with a knife or a gun. Back when an unruly kid could be sent to the principal for a paddling (yes, I visited once or twice) without triggering a lawsuit. Back before they started teaching ebonics and English as a second language.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
FWIW ... The project journals have always required a seperate login.

According to what Helena has posted elsewhere ... the reason that your (everyone's) journal isn't working is an upgrade to the vBulletin software.

She ensures us all that they are working on the transition, that it's a big job, and asks for us all to be patient.
That I did

We did add a fix to the site last night, but seems there may still be issues, if you are having any please let us know in as much detail as you can what is happening.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM

Last journal entry: like starting over

still no journals? but nobody will die without it till they get it solved
Old 07-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Last journal entry: Front fenders cont.
Last photo:

Helena
I still am having the same problem.
Every time I go to photo journal it shows that I am not logged in. I log in and a screen pops up thanking me for logging in, but goes back to the same photo journal screen showing that I am not logged in.
I can ivw my journal but can't update it.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Leading
Last photo:

I can view my journal.

I can not update my journal.

I can not view my journal from the beginning.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Last journal entry: Moving my Journal
Last photo:

I was just curious as to how long the repairs to the journal might take. If it's a week or so I can wait, but if it may be a month or so I need to make arrangements.

I know this is the internet and many people can get attitudes, so I want to make sure it's known that isn't my purpose here. I just have quite a few people that are regularly looking at my journal for progress and if it's going to be a while I will need to make arrangements to use another website. I'm not complaining, I'm sure everyone is doing all the can and it's a difficult problem, it would just help out a lot to have a possible idea on timing, however short or long that may be.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 07-22-2012, 02:03 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman61 View Post
I was just curious as to how long the repairs to the journal might take. If it's a week or so I can wait, but if it may be a month or so I need to make arrangements.

I know this is the internet and many people can get attitudes, so I want to make sure it's known that isn't my purpose here. I just have quite a few people that are regularly looking at my journal for progress and if it's going to be a while I will need to make arrangements to use another website. I'm not complaining, I'm sure everyone is doing all the can and it's a difficult problem, it would just help out a lot to have a possible idea on timing, however short or long that may be.

Thanks,
Brandon
Why don't you start a build thread in the lounge?
Its looking like this will be the "new" journal method around here.

That way I can subscribe and get notification every time you add something.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:16 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

The gray border on reply's ( I cant see the gray arrows to inlarge)
I was using a magnifying glass today and I found a blue "A" in the corner !!!!! Whats switch editor mode?????

I need the journal I have a road runner build to put in it! and 3 engine builds!!!! When I go to my journal Im signed out???
And cant sign in
Last pic posted Its so old its driving me nuts!!!!!

When I try to Pm someone it takes forever to find it !!!! I can find guest messaging but not personnel messaging !!!

Spell check would be nice????

Is this all still being fixed or is this the way its going to be?

Cordially: Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 07-22-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.