Six Shooter disapointment Hope the Barry Grant guy is watching - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #61 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
a vacuum advance adds to the inital mechanical idle time. so the total is higher than 12...

the idle easy was included months after i bought mine. you knew there were problems. i called you guys back then. the sd carb was another rushed example. then you relase 2.0, idle eazy.

looked nice.
Not sure where you are getting your facts from but your assumptions are totally wrong. The Speed Demon was not a "rushed" example as you would like to claim and had been out several years prior to the idle-eze. Up to the point that we came up with the idle-eze it was a commonly accepted practice to drill holes in the butterflies if you could not get them set with less then .020 transfer slot showing. It still is on Holleys. Barry came up with the idle-eze to make it easier for the mild performance kind of guy to tune his carburetor without having to drill holes and it was a running product improvement that was offered. The Mighty Demon also incorporates the same feature. At the same time both Race Demons and King Demons received the large diameter alcohol jets in their baseplates so guys would not have to drill the butterflies on them as well. Once again not "rushed" but rather taking things one step further to improve on a product and give the customer more for their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #62 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 AM
spinn's Avatar
More dogs than bones
 

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,212
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts
drilling holes to make it idle. it wouldn't perform its most basic function, without a guessing game modification. on a brand new $600 carb for my application.

thats the way everything should be. you have to drill holes in it for basic function.

my new notebook will run vista, first let me get the drill.

you disagree with the additional vacuum advance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #63 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHD
BG tech could you discuss why you feel people are not qualified to install seals and o rings in your fuel pumps.

We are now forced to get parts from other vendors to repair/service your products.
Has nothing to do with whether we feel people are not not qualified as that is not the case but I suspect you already knew that prior to posting as this has been hashed out many times on the internet already.

For those who dont know or haven't seen it posted that has been our policy going on 25 years now. The pumps carry a lifetime labor warranty and all the customer pays for is parts costs plus the return shipping. We have an obligation to ensure that the pump is up to the original flow standards so guys do not go out and hurt an engine.


All pumps wear over time [not just ours] and just because a pump has started leaking does not always mean it just needs a seal. Once the pump motor has been split from the lower housing it needs to be reset while on the flow bench so that the pump has the correct flow and amp draw. Many a time guys just want the seals replaced and dont want to hear that it takes other parts to return the pump to spec but we will not "patch" a pump. Once repaired the pumps are then flow tested on the same machines as when they were originally built. This practice ensures that the pump is safe and also of sufficient flow so that you do not go out and burn an engine up with a pump that might have otherwise been "patched" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #64 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
drilling holes to make it idle. it wouldn't perform its most basic function, without a guessing game modification. on a brand new $600 carb for my application.

thats the way everything should be. you have to drill holes in it for basic function.

my new notebook will run vista, first let me get the drill.

?
I think some of the other members have summed this up and I will leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #65 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
you disagree with the additional vacuum advance?
Not at all but that is a BASIC function of setting timing. Why do you think the vacuum has to be disconected prior to setting it? Our base timing recommendations are with the vacuum disconnected as our anyone elses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #66 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 AM
spinn's Avatar
More dogs than bones
 

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,212
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Not at all but that is a BASIC function of setting timing. Why do you think the vacuum has to be disconected prior to setting it? Our base timing recommendations are with the vacuum disconnected as our anyone elses.
top- this isnt body work, chopping up hotrods to make things fit. its a precision calibrated component. the recommended carb could NOT adjust to my idle calibration. my engine doesnt need 18 intial mechanical timming. that would hurt driveability and the vacuum advance's ability to alter timming for part throttle power. 18-20 inital will be hard starting especially hot.

i should have built my engine around your carb. that was your real recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #67 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:44 AM
spinn's Avatar
More dogs than bones
 

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,212
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
I think some of the other members have summed this up and I will leave it at that.
hide under a cloak of darkness.


hey look i say again. i bought one. kept it. tried to get what i could out of it. they look very impressive.

you have a fanbase, keep going. make more cool products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #68 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
top- this isnt body work, chopping up hotrods to make things fit. its a precision calibrated component. the recommended carb could NOT adjust to my idle calibration. my engine doesnt need 18 intial mechanical timming. that would hurt driveability and the vacuum advance's ability to alter timming for part throttle power. 18-20 inital will be hard starting especially hot.

i should have built my engine around your carb. that was your real recommendation.
http://automotiveu.com/tuningperformance.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #69 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
hide under a cloak of darkness.


hey look i say again. i bought one. kept it. tried to get what i could out of it. they look very impressive.

you have a fanbase, keep going. make more cool products.
No hiding, just trying to stay professional about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #70 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
C-10's Avatar
Revolution Calling
 

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashport, Ohio
Posts: 920
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hey Tech@BG, thanks for being on this BB. It's a good gesture. Some people do not realize that you joined HR by choice.

Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #71 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 AM
OHD's Avatar
OHD OHD is offline
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: outhouse
Posts: 285
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BG tech

"The pumps carry a lifetime labor warranty and all the customer pays for is parts costs plus the return shipping. We have an obligation to ensure that the pump is up to the original flow standards so guys do not go out and hurt an engine"

Example of last 2 we had serviced one by BG on on our bench

here are the breakdowns

Sent to Bg for "free larbor lifetime service"
parts 58.60 inbound shipping 10.00 return shipping 16.80 turnaround 2 weeks

Total cost 85.40 without pump 3 weeks ONE PUMP SERVICE

Seal and oring on our bench
parts 8.00 (same manufacturers oring and seal) time 28 mins in and out of car

Both pumps serviced by us, for last 3 years, total cost of servicing less than

70.00 including replacing BG "one way" screws with tamper proof torque ss fastners... That is 70.00 for 6 PUMP services......

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out where the "Bg free lifetime labor" is paid...............YOUR SMALL PARTS MARGINS ARE OUTRAGEOUS...

We replaced your BG400s with WELDONS, with our savings, and will never come back....after being a customer since the middle 80s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #72 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHD
BG tech

"The pumps carry a lifetime labor warranty and all the customer pays for is parts costs plus the return shipping. We have an obligation to ensure that the pump is up to the original flow standards so guys do not go out and hurt an engine"

Example of last 2 we had serviced one by BG on on our bench

here are the breakdowns

Sent to Bg for "free larbor lifetime service"
parts 58.60 inbound shipping 10.00 return shipping 16.80 turnaround 2 weeks

Total cost 85.40 without pump 3 weeks ONE PUMP SERVICE

Seal and oring on our bench
parts 8.00 (same manufacturers oring and seal) time 28 mins in and out of car

Both pumps serviced by us, for last 3 years, total cost of servicing less than

70.00 including replacing BG "one way" screws with tamper proof torque ss fastners... That is 70.00 for 6 PUMP services......

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out where the "Bg free lifetime labor" is paid...............YOUR SMALL PARTS MARGINS ARE OUTRAGEOUS...

We replaced your BG400s with WELDONS, with our savings, and will never come back....after being a customer since the middle 80s
So you posted a question just so you could turn around and slam us...nice. We are here though to help those that actually need assistance and that is why we post and answer questions.

You would be incorrect that your 8.00 seal is the one we are using now as for quite a number of months we have been using an improved walrus seal. If you were charged 58.60 for parts then your pump needed and received more than just a seal which is what I eluded to above in my answer to you.

Here's a little math for you.... if a BG400 needs to be completely rebuilt and requires a motor it only costs 179.00 + shipping to do so while the cost for a replacement is 414.00 . Still looks fair to me .

As I mentioned in my original post you already knew the answer when you asked the question but by your response to my answer I think it will be clear to the others as well. Like I said, we are here to help those who have legitimate issues and will continue to do such as we have in the past.

Just as a reference though for those who may need a pump or regulator repaired ,we are trying to turn these around in 7 business days from the time they hit our receiving department. As of September 1st any pump that is here longer then that will be repaired at no charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #73 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10
Hey Tech@BG, thanks for being on this BB. It's a good gesture. Some people do not realize that you joined HR by choice.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks, we participate in quite a number of boards and have been able to help many. That alone makes it worth the effort. We also realize that you are never going to make everyone happy but we try to take care of as many as possible. You are also going to have guys spin their story or their issue and leave out pertinent information to try and make their case but even with some of them we have been able to help as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #74 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 PM
PutPut72's Avatar
Earplugs are in the glovebox
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone, please don't get all pissed, but a bit to the side of the subject, I think Car Craft did an article on the different manifold/carb setups. They tested the Six Shooter Barry grant, reg tri power, 4 and 2 barrels on hi,tunnel,duel plane, and low hood clearance manifolds. The grant wasn't even close to the top of the power tree but it does look cool. FYI the manifold that won was a Edelbrock RPM Airgap with a 750 grant mech secondaries..... sure wish I could find the article though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #75 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PutPut72
Everyone, please don't get all pissed, but a bit to the side of the subject, I think Car Craft did an article on the different manifold/carb setups. They tested the Six Shooter Barry grant, reg tri power, 4 and 2 barrels on hi,tunnel,duel plane, and low hood clearance manifolds. The grant wasn't even close to the top of the power tree but it does look cool. FYI the manifold that won was a Edelbrock RPM Airgap with a 750 grant mech secondaries..... sure wish I could find the article though.
In a lot of cases depending upon the application the Six Shooter is not going to make more hp then a properly matched up single 4 barrel and conventional intake but it was not intended to. I can tell you the Demon carb and single 4 will make more power then the comparable Edel carb all day long and also that the Pontiac Six Shooter made 65hp more than a stock Pontiac tri-power in independant testing. Each case will be different however. Several benefits of the Triple Induction are that most see better fuel mileage yet still have the performance when needed ,drivability is improved and you get the cool factor when you go to a cruise in and raise the hood just to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which Barry Grant carb 1934chevycoupe Engine 3 11-20-2006 06:55 AM
question for barry grant guy 69er Engine 1 10-18-2005 08:42 AM
Barry Grant Demon carb gilby246 Engine 4 03-24-2005 12:12 PM
barry grant carb ??? k-star Engine 1 05-19-2004 05:14 PM
barry grant carb cjhutch02 Engine 2 12-22-2002 12:54 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.