Six Shooter disapointment Hope the Barry Grant guy is watching - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sometimes quality contol issues happen, and a certain number of production units go out with a flaw. Mechanical error and plain human error can and do cause this. Carb stud holes drilled oversize? It happens. Notify the manufacturer in a civil and professional way, and see what happens. Water neck doesn't fit? Mispick maybe, get the straight one you need. If that doesn't fit YOUR MODIFIED CAR, it's not BG's problem. That is hotrodding. Making something fit where it was never designed to. Should a $3000.00 part fit right? Yes, but issues do happen.

As for pumps, how many vehicle manufacturers will warrenty an engine overhaul that you did yourself, in your garage? OHD, you may very well be able to properly do the pump job yourself, but you are one in tens of thousands. They have a blanket policy so that the other 9,999 people who can't do it right don't screw it up.

BG has had quality control issues, but come on, so has almost every other parts manufacturer. Holley had warpage on metering blocks right out of the box, and trash in passages as well. I had to overhaul more than one "new" carb, just to get it to run properly, due to customers needing it right away and not being able to wait for the turnaround. It shouldn't becom the norm, but hiccups do happen, and we do have to live with them.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Trying to stay on track with the original topic of this thread, I agree that the quality seems to be poor and a lot of mis-machining has been passed off as "acceptable". I went through a similar problem with a set of Pro Topline heads. My sons first engine. Spent the big bucks on the heads. Guess what, tons of problems. As stated by others, pushrods not fitting was the biggest problem, along with ports that were so far off it was rediculous.

My complaint was almost identical to the one here. When you spend big bucks, you expect a better product. AND since most manufacturers are now using CNC equipment, there is NO excuse for a crappy product to make it out the door. I could see misdrilled holes or whatever if some guy was drilling them by hand but on CNC parts, it should be close enough to go on the space shuttle!

CNC has now made it into the woodworking industry (my field) and the accuracy is increadable. I have a program here (free) that if I had a CNC pin router, I could build things to machinist tollerances.....out of WOOD!

There is just NO excuse for crappy parts when someone is paying big bucks from a big buck company, who ever it is!

Lets hope this problem gets resolved in a positive manner. We all know that "things happen", but this seems a little over the top.

Mark
I know from experience myself with CNC eqiupment, its only as good as the operator, as is most machinery!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchevfreak
Sometimes quality contol issues happen, and a certain number of production units go out with a flaw. Mechanical error and plain human error can and do cause this. Carb stud holes drilled oversize? It happens. Notify the manufacturer in a civil and professional way, and see what happens. Water neck doesn't fit? Mispick maybe, get the straight one you need. If that doesn't fit YOUR MODIFIED CAR, it's not BG's problem. That is hotrodding. Making something fit where it was never designed to. Should a $3000.00 part fit right? Yes, but issues do happen.

As for pumps, how many vehicle manufacturers will warrenty an engine overhaul that you did yourself, in your garage? OHD, you may very well be able to properly do the pump job yourself, but you are one in tens of thousands. They have a blanket policy so that the other 9,999 people who can't do it right don't screw it up.

BG has had quality control issues, but come on, so has almost every other parts manufacturer. Holley had warpage on metering blocks right out of the box, and trash in passages as well. I had to overhaul more than one "new" carb, just to get it to run properly, due to customers needing it right away and not being able to wait for the turnaround. It shouldn't becom the norm, but hiccups do happen, and we do have to live with them.
Well spoken! #1-Notify manufacturer of problem in a professional tone(email pics of problem also helpful to them). #2-Give manufacturer reasonable amount of time to respond to issue or defect! #3-Give manufacturer reasonable amount of time to access the issue once they respond and realize there is an issue! #4-Never give ultimatums, only reasonable solutions as to how you would like to see issue resolved(still using a professional tone)! #5-Remember, you will never be out your investment(cash), return for refund is always an option, if you feel the issue isn't going to be resolved in your favor! #6-In all fairness,give manufacturer every opportunity to resolve issue in a reasonable time frame, before you make comments on forums without having all the answers yourself! #7-Most importantly, you can always speak to someone higher up the chain if you feel you are not getting a fair shake. Get a SEMA directory, and listed in it are all the CEO's and "Big Dogs" email addresses and contact info of all the companies that are members of SEMA! #8- #7 works everytime!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

BG tech

Telling people to they are to modify a carb makes you look silly while telling people they can not disassemble a fuel pump for maintenance.....

a full retail, list price quantity one, 2.55 seal, you charge 25.00, installed of course...with FREE LABOR. Real good way to promote your pump that needs new seals every racing season...

Futhermore at a cost of $179 is MORE than your cost, on those BG400 fuel pumps, Brand New...so even replacing the whole unit you do not lose any money....under your FREE LIFETIME LABOR WARRANTY

That is why people go to Weldon, Product Engineering, Magnaflow, Aeromotive,etc for quality and you get the "uneducated", low ball, price shoppers...with these type "problems"..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.