Hot Rod Forum banner

Six Shooter disapointment Hope the Barry Grant guy is watching

24K views 77 replies 29 participants last post by  OHD 
#1 ·
I received my Barry Grant six shooter set up for my SBC in my street rod and guess what the air cleaner dosen't fit I suspect it is for the Big Block Version it has BBC cut in the top of the base plate. I also expected to receive both the straight and angle thermostat housing for the money spent but only got the straight and of course I need the angle there is also only one port in the manifold for temp sensors for the kind of money I spent and the reputation of Barry Grant I am a little disappointed. I have left three messages on their tech page two before I purchased and one concerning the above, they state that they answer by close of business the following day mon thru fri but still waiting. I hope this is not a sign seems like this is my luck I tried to buy a system from vintage speed but ran into delivery problems so bit the bullet and decided to get the best "barry Grant" spent my last penny I hope its not shame on me.

#27 ·
Quarter Flash said:
I am the person that has spent $30 k on my drag car and tools. If you think I have not made things work and did my fair share of fitting take a look at my journal. I have spent four years of blood, sweat and sacrifice to get where I am with my project. Better than ninety percent of my car was fabbed my me, a first time builder and it passed NHRA safety inspection recently. We all look at our projects with different eyes and different values but that is what makes the hotrodding world go around. :(
I agree it is our hobby how ever we choose to do it, I have spent lots of time not being able to afford the cool stuff with Kids, house payment and all but now that that is all behind me I can enjoy this phase of my hobby. Some do bass boats, Harley's or drinking to each their own.

#28 ·
Tech @ BG said:
Mark,

I have sent you PM's here about this, and left a message on your voicemail at your office earlier today asking you to contact me.
Sorry! I didn't get the message I called after 4 PM but I expect you had left for the day I left you a message (phone tag) with my work number and extension I have voice mail. Hopefully we can connect tomorrow. The Hot Rod Power Tour is coming Thu our area I was planning on driving along but now will most likely be here all day.

Thanks

#29 ·
Not A T 25 said:
Oops:
Sorry you are wrong but if you would like to give six figures for the car in the avitar I would be glad to sell it to you and all the work I have done myself so I would say I know how to hot rod!
please clarify?? sorry i am wrong about what the car is worth? have all the work done by me or you?
the general statement was to say that you need to understand no one can make a bolt on to your needs setup. everything is different and something always will be different. you as a"HOTRODDER" should be able to adapt and make what you want. the wrong air cleaner they will make good on it.
guess i am disappointed in the fact that people seem to think that opening a magazine and catalogs and buying parts is the way to build a hot rod.. guess i should realize that most people see no problem with setting a standard bolt in to aluminum with out a time cert if not at least a helicoil install. that most don't build or look at something and say how could i make this work...not many problem solvers any more in the world..
and no this is not to justify BG lack of customer support but the issues you have been complaining about really are not that big.everthing is you attetion to detail if this was custom built for you than yah you could complain. but it is a "production "piece. chips in the fuel log ..ok ..clean it out.. just like you would do if you were assembling you engine. you clean everything don't you ??
i guess what i need to say is that i don't expect anything i have bought out of a catalog ever to fit with out issues.. and at 3k it not gonna be a perfect bolt on.not like having a custom built piece just the way you want it..

#30 ·
seriousracer said:
please clarify?? sorry i am wrong about what the car is worth? have all the work done by me or you?
the general statement was to say that you need to understand no one can make a bolt on to your needs setup. everything is different and something always will be different. you as a"HOTRODDER" should be able to adapt and make what you want. the wrong air cleaner they will make good on it.
guess i am disappointed in the fact that people seem to think that opening a magazine and catalogs and buying parts is the way to build a hot rod.. guess i should realize that most people see no problem with setting a standard bolt in to aluminum with out a time cert if not at least a helicoil install. that most don't build or look at something and say how could i make this work...not many problem solvers any more in the world..
and no this is not to justify BG lack of customer support but the issues you have been complaining about really are not that big.everthing is you attetion to detail if this was custom built for you than yah you could complain. but it is a "production "piece. chips in the fuel log ..ok ..clean it out.. just like you would do if you were assembling you engine. you clean everything don't you ??
i guess what i need to say is that i don't expect anything i have bought out of a catalog ever to fit with out issues.. and at 3k it not gonna be a perfect bolt on.not like having a custom built piece just the way you want it..
There is truth to what you say and fixing it is not the problem or the issue but if we don't expect parts suppliers to do the job right why should they? We shouldn't expect or accept less than what we pay for. Even though I can fix it the fact is the time I spend redoing work I shouldn't have to the less time I have to do the work I want to. I am alarmed at what we have learned to accept rather than expect good service or product. How often do you run into a crabby Waiter or waitress that still expects the tip? I have a well outfitted shop and have spent the last 30+ years in machining and wouldn't have been able to if I hadn't produced good work. I respect your opinion if that is the part of the hobby you enjoy so be it!

#31 ·
seriousracer said:

Are you nutz? Maybe a little crazy?

We're not talking about a custom 6 figure race car installation - nor some antiquated 50.s carb setup on an Olds engine.

This is a modern BOLT-ON application for a Small Block Chevrolet which I think this GM engine configuration has been around for what 50+ years?

For BG to not pick the order correctly - ship parts that don't fit and are of dubious questionable quality for that kind of scratch is not good business.

The consumer has a right to complain when things aren't as ADVERTISED. $3k might not be a lot to you and your six figure car ~ but for the average builder for an intake system only it's a lot of $$

#32 ·
Rambo_The_Dog said:
Are you nutz? Maybe a little crazy?

We're not talking about a custom 6 figure race car installation - nor some antiquated 50.s carb setup on an Olds engine.

This is a modern BOLT-ON application for a Small Block Chevrolet which I think this GM engine configuration has been around for what 50+ years?

For BG to not pick the order correctly - ship parts that don't fit and are of dubious questionable quality for that kind of scratch is not good business.

The consumer has a right to complain when things aren't as ADVERTISED. $3k might not be a lot to you and your six figure car ~ but for the average builder for an intake system only it's a lot of $$
so does this mean that he won't have to port match the heads to the intake?? why would that be acceptable by this reasoning...look i just get tired of everone expecting a production part to meet there needs with out troubles.. and at 3k now a days.. you don't get much.
and between you complaining about how much something costs and complaing about quality if it was another 500 or a thousand dollars and was prefect you would not buy it do to the price..so send bg your heads and make sure they are matched up after all this should be part of the price...

and trust me i am doing my t bucket for about what he has in to his intake setup. so no six figure car for me eitherthey are what i do for a living..
right now the t stands at about 1800 including getting the body and frame and buying an engine and trans axle. everything else has been dredged up out of trash bens or bought for next to nothing,including wish bones shocks radiators,fuels cell(needs new foam) fuel pumps,intercooler(hit left tank repaired it although it may be sold)turbo off a rally car,seat,areoquip(got a good deal on some free stuff from a race team that was changing chassis,dig it out and haul it away)upright steering beams and some hiems. the rest will be made by me.

and once again i am not making excuses about recieving a missed boxed part but the rest (especailly if your a machinist) is stuff you have to pay attention to detail yourself production parts won't get you there out of the box.

#33 ·
seriousracer said:
so does this mean that he won't have to port match the heads to the intake?? why would that be acceptable by this reasoning...look i just get tired of everone expecting a production part to meet there needs with out troubles.. and at 3k now a days.. you don't get much.
and between you complaining about how much something costs and complaing about quality if it was another 500 or a thousand dollars and was prefect you would not buy it do to the price..so send bg your heads and make sure they are matched up after all this should be part of the price...

and trust me i am doing my t bucket for about what he has in to his intake setup. so no six figure car for me eitherthey are what i do for a living..
right now the t stands at about 1800 including getting the body and frame and buying an engine and trans axle. everything else has been dredged up out of trash bens or bought for next to nothing,including wish bones shocks radiators,fuels cell(needs new foam) fuel pumps,intercooler(hit left tank repaired it although it may be sold)turbo off a rally car,seat,areoquip(got a good deal on some free stuff from a race team that was changing chassis,dig it out and haul it away)upright steering beams and some hiems. the rest will be made by me.

and once again i am not making excuses about recieving a missed boxed part but the rest (especailly if your a machinist) is stuff you have to pay attention to detail yourself production parts won't get you there out of the box.
OK I tried to be nice but you are just way out there! besides please understand that 30,000 is not a six figure car count it is a 5 figure car and I really don't care how cheaply you build your car I have worked hard and saved and made good financial decisions for the past 30 years so I can afford to build the rod I want and spend what I want on it and don't need to make excuses to you because you cannot or choose not to! You have strayed so far from the subject here I purchased a quality product paid top dollar for it and not for a discount version of it. It is not something I went to the junk yard and bought to try and make fit (which is actually the basis of hotrodding)! And for what ever reason it is not what it should be and BG or any other manufacturer needs to and I am sure will make it right! You obviously are the kind of person who would buy a new crate motor take it home and if it quit running just figure that was part of hot rodding and put a new motor in? Get a grip although Hot rodding is putting to gether parts that don't normally fit the purchasing of aftermarket parts for a specific application should work with no issues. Cheap is not necessarily better you often get what you pay for and I have been building and Hot rodding since I was 15 and now am 50 so I have built on a budget but never shoved it in someones face because they didn't have to. I recently went thru cancer and after that decided life could be short and decided to quit waiting to build that rod I have always wanted. You need to learn to respect others for however they want to enjoy their hobby and if you want to rebuild that brand new crate motor so be it to each his own. We have all built on a budget done with out get over it! I say again you are way out there!

#34 ·
sorry you think i am out there. but i am just not into the fact that everyone thinks a part will be perfect if bought out of a catalog. hince are you going to match ports if so than why not complain about that. and for a crate motor ... no i would not buy a crate motor and expecting to take it apart. of course i won't buy a CRATE MOTOR EITHER no one makes what i want. although i will be honest i was looking at an ls1 crate motor for my wife mustang. but they don't have what i want..
30 k is alot to me for something that doesn't do more than just look shiney,,,,i would have a hard time justifing that amount on a street rod with no history no desiarbilty to any one else. but you know what people out there spend alot more than that..
i think it is out there to expect on this type of deal to have the attenion to detail that you would want for yourself to be for everone else..which is what you are saying of a PRODUCTION piece... a production part will never be what you want it to be as an indvidual. and if it is than well your happy... now the air cleaner they need to get their butts moving and deal with it.

other machenist i know just get the parts to make what they want and go from there ...once again because they are not happy with anything out there but the need the starting point. hell one has his own measuring unit, krillenths. how would you expect to satisfy everyone with a single bolt on piece.

#35 ·
seriousracer said:
sorry you think i am out there. but i am just not into the fact that everyone thinks a part will be perfect if bought out of a catalog. hince are you going to match ports if so than why not complain about that. and for a crate motor ... no i would not buy a crate motor and expecting to take it apart. of course i won't buy a CRATE MOTOR EITHER no one makes what i want. although i will be honest i was looking at an ls1 crate motor for my wife mustang. but they don't have what i want..
30 k is alot to me for something that doesn't do more than just look shiney,,,,i would have a hard time justifing that amount on a street rod with no history no desiarbilty to any one else. but you know what people out there spend alot more than that..
i think it is out there to expect on this type of deal to have the attenion to detail that you would want for yourself to be for everone else..which is what you are saying of a PRODUCTION piece... a production part will never be what you want it to be as an indvidual. and if it is than well your happy... now the air cleaner they need to get their butts moving and deal with it.

other machenist i know just get the parts to make what they want and go from there ...once again because they are not happy with anything out there but the need the starting point. hell one has his own measuring unit, krillenths. how would you expect to satisfy everyone with a single bolt on piece.
Nothing else I need to say your post speak for themselves! God bless you and have a nice life!

#37 ·
seriousracer said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXU3N9wT3u0&eurl=

listen to the lines about 600 dollar steering wheels .

sorry to think that hotrodding has gone to the extant that if you can't buy it the way you want it it is a production fault.
I apologize to all others reading this thread I wanted to be the bigger guy and let it go but OK I can't let this go! The stud holes are drilled oversize! the studs strip out! Jerk this is a production fault! I said nothing about matching ports or any other tunning issues! Get over it find some other thread to argue with go dig thru a trash bin something OK!

#38 ·
quality concerns

hey guys i'm new to this site,not new to hotrods!
when i decided to switch from an offy 2x4 setup to a 2x3 i looked at quite
a few options out there!
a few people in this thread are 100% correct, when you pay top dollar for
a bg setup you are paying for thier engineering!,proper fit,proper parts
and yes customer support should be way up there!
i couldn't afford bg's setup(says wife)
so i bought a edelbrock 2x3 ,no messing arround it fits, minor fabbing for the linkage but it works.,edelbrock answered my tech & setup right away!
barry grant take notice! :nono:

#39 ·
Not A T 25 said:
I apologize to all others reading this thread I wanted to be the bigger guy and let it go but OK I can't let this go! The stud holes are drilled oversize! the studs strip out! Jerk this is a production fault! I said nothing about matching ports or any other tunning issues! Get over it find some other thread to argue with go dig thru a trash bin something OK!
haha ok ..

#40 ·
seriousracer said:

I'm glad there are forums out there like this for folks to talk about their experiences and quality issues - it educates us all and keeps the fire lit under these vendors and manufactures to have better quality parts and service.

I'm sorry but You are "out there" ~ I suppose "with your reasoning" if you bought a brand new "production" car for 50k and something wasn't right - let's say the window didn't roll down - you would just crack the door open - void the warranty and fix it yourself - although the car came with a manufacturers warranty?

I suppose if you did work on customers cars and they had an issue with your quality of work - you'd just tell them "oh well ~ fix it yourself, you got what you paid for"

You must have gotten your *** kicked several times in your life because you seem to be one of those people who let others just walk all over you - probably you were the kid the bullies beat up on and just took it rather than fight back so you didn't get hurt more.

It doesn't matter if the part is $30, $300, $3000 or $300,000 - if it's advertised to fit and has a gaurantee the manufacturer should honor it = or they won't be doing business long.

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
The fact is that Not-a-t paid nearly $3000 for a part with a supposedly well-respected "brandname" stamped on it, a brandname company that openly claims to provide excellent quality and customer service.
What he got sounds to be something you'd expect from JC Whitney, a no name part with suspect components and quality, likely made off-shore, that may or may not continue to cause future problems.

Had he expected more?? I think so, and probably could have gotten a better fitting, better working used 6 pack setup from a swap meet.

IMO opinion the BG setup is way overpriced, 3-$300 carbs, a MAYBE $300 intake, and a fancy aircleaner adds up to about $1500 max. Somehwere there had better be some damn good factory support for this product.

I don't care what a company sells, and even if it's only $5, they had better be prepared to provide service after the sale.

#43 ·
Rambo_The_Dog said:
I'm glad there are forums out there like this for folks to talk about their experiences and quality issues - it educates us all and keeps the fire lit under these vendors and manufactures to have better quality parts and service.

I'm sorry but You are "out there" ~ I suppose "with your reasoning" if you bought a brand new "production" car for 50k and something wasn't right - let's say the window didn't roll down - you would just crack the door open - void the warranty and fix it yourself - although the car came with a manufacturers warranty?

I suppose if you did work on customers cars and they had an issue with your quality of work - you'd just tell them "oh well ~ fix it yourself, you got what you paid for"

You must have gotten your *** kicked several times in your life because you seem to be one of those people who let others just walk all over you - probably you were the kid the bullies beat up on and just took it rather than fight back so you didn't get hurt more.

It doesn't matter if the part is $30, $300, $3000 or $300,000 - if it's advertised to fit and has a gaurantee the manufacturer should honor it = or they won't be doing business long.[/QUOTE
]
no actaully i go over board to fix my customers problems and they know it.
thats why i draw from all over the country. they also know and respect the fact i don't expect anything to work out of the box and know i don't expect fit and finish to be what i will make it. hmm key word make it... wow wait hotrodding used to be.. instead of assembler out of a catalog...
no i take my stuff back for warranty all the time. heck two ford dealers that i prep their racecars for know what i expect because I prep their race cars...

and no i never got my a**kicked for whatever reason you think.. most people when they meet me no i don't hold any punches and care more about doing the job right EVEN if it means reworking something to my specs...because once again nothing never come in the form of what i expect it to be...if it does my expectations have drop to average lows and that will not make the people i am working for happy...

there are things left out of the post i would like to know ...but i won't go there.. i just get real disappointed when people call assembling something "building" especally somone whos says he is a machineist..... most be a very ambitous one because like i stated before the machinest i know all rework everything to their specs..
i never disagreed bg should not have taken care of somethings the rest of mass produced product fit and finish it all sucks today. that why i NEVER expect anything to work.. you know the prime example of this i have to fly to work on a raceteam in portland tonight ... the team thinks something is good enough but iwill go the the FTR trans do it right ..tonight ..when i get there...because it is not good enough. oh by the way most of this will include building the back cover and installing time certs in all the bolt holes...LOL you 3k intake isn't worth 1/4 of what this gear box is ...used...
and i still have to fix problems. so with this said i am heading to portland please try and flame me while i am away.. but in reality this has been a real dissappointment in poeple just assembling hot rods... long live the catalogs and magazines!

#51 ·
Get in Line

I have a 383 stroker with the 6 shooter setup. I have had the most disgusting experience with the BG group. You are not alone. I also hope that Mr. Grant is reading this. An almost good product? Not quite ready for release. No support due to Slow.....................Slow...........even slower response on help. They fire the ones that help! They have an almost great product... but, ......I still have problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.