Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Six Shooter disapointment Hope the Barry Grant guy is watching (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/six-shooter-disapointment-hope-barry-grant-guy-watching-116734.html)

Not A T 25 05-24-2007 09:56 PM

Six Shooter disapointment Hope the Barry Grant guy is watching
 
I received my Barry Grant six shooter set up for my SBC in my street rod and guess what the air cleaner dosen't fit I suspect it is for the Big Block Version it has BBC cut in the top of the base plate. I also expected to receive both the straight and angle thermostat housing for the money spent but only got the straight and of course I need the angle there is also only one port in the manifold for temp sensors for the kind of money I spent and the reputation of Barry Grant I am a little disappointed. I have left three messages on their tech page two before I purchased and one concerning the above, they state that they answer by close of business the following day mon thru fri but still waiting. I hope this is not a sign seems like this is my luck I tried to buy a system from vintage speed but ran into delivery problems so bit the bullet and decided to get the best "barry Grant" spent my last penny I hope its not shame on me.

BIGMIKE79 05-24-2007 10:21 PM

wha is a bbc i might be able to help i know i am still learning

BLAZERMAN 05-24-2007 10:34 PM

Do they have a tec line you can call? If so I would give them a call about it. They must get over 100 e-mails a day and I guess sometimes it takes a while to answer.

KULTULZ 05-25-2007 12:34 AM

This will be a disappointment if they do not address it quickly. Please keep us informed.

Johnny406 05-25-2007 02:22 AM

Pretty good traffic on one of the Pontiac forums on these. Seems for the Pontiac manifolds, the front carb mounting holes were drilled off and the carbs won't mount.

Rambo_The_Dog 05-25-2007 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGMIKE79
wha is a bbc i might be able to help i know i am still learning

Big Block Chevrolet = BBC

I too am very interested in hearing about your outcome. I've been bouncing back and forth trying to decide on a dual quad setup (no particular make) or the BG Tri-Power - which is the only tri-power setup made for the 454 I have seen.

I do think the pricing is outrageous though @ 2400.00

That price almost makes me want to forget about the tri-power and step up and put a blower on my motor!

rossco 05-25-2007 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambo_The_Dog
I do think the pricing is outrageous though @ 2400.00
That price almost makes me want to forget about the tri-power and step up and put a blower on my motor!

I agree Rambo, that's alot of hay.
I'm hearing ya, and there's three things that would suggest you are right.

1:- Better power output.
2:- Probably better fuel mileage.
3:- No on going Barry Grant problems.

Tech @ BG 05-25-2007 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not A T 25
I received my Barry Grant six shooter set up for my SBC in my street rod and guess what the air cleaner dosen't fit I suspect it is for the Big Block Version it has BBC cut in the top of the base plate. I also expected to receive both the straight and angle thermostat housing for the money spent but only got the straight and of course I need the angle there is also only one port in the manifold for temp sensors for the kind of money I spent and the reputation of Barry Grant I am a little disappointed. I have left three messages on their tech page two before I purchased and one concerning the above, they state that they answer by close of business the following day mon thru fri but still waiting. I hope this is not a sign seems like this is my luck I tried to buy a system from vintage speed but ran into delivery problems so bit the bullet and decided to get the best "barry Grant" spent my last penny I hope its not shame on me.


Mark,

You have both a PM (here), and an email from us. We don't show any older emails in our system from you, and received the one about this situation at 11:32 PM last night, and you posted this thread at 11:56 PM not really enough time for us to get back to you. There is a typo on the water necks, the SBC systems only use a straight water neck, an angled neck would not fit with the forward carburetor. The angled necks are only offered on the BBC systems. As far as the air cleaner base, if you'll mail the BBC one back to us we'll send you out a new SBC unit.

pepi 05-25-2007 06:58 AM

Don't ya just love it, looked at it and went back to the 2x4s plans, of course if you were bolyd c. old barry would be right there to install it for you. You might need a tv show also. All kidding aside I am getting the distinct impression that other then fancy castings there is a for sure quality problem going on, Summit discontinued the line. barry does write a tec. article for Track magazine not sure what to think of that one.

Not A T 25 05-25-2007 07:00 AM

I apologize for the time between the messages but the problem is the same and please check again I sent two other messages over the last two weeks but that aside I would recommend you go ahead and send me the correct air cleaner ASAP with a return authorization for the wrong one if you want to make it right! But there is a bigger problem that may make me return the unit I may not be able to fit the straight thermostat housing in my car! Is there someone in particular I should call. The cost of this unit is a lot of money but it is beautiful and even with the minor problems the workmanship appears to be great. Please consider sending the replacement out ASAP and make this right. Again sorry for the short time between the email and post but as you should understand I am very frustrated I went with BG because I felt I wouldn't have any problems.

Quarter Flash 05-25-2007 08:43 AM

Six Shooter disapointment
 
Not defending Berry Grant here, but when I put my 406 together the list of things I had to re-machine that was supposed to fit was surprising. Comp Cams told me my Pro magnum rockers would work with their cam kit, but the rockers contacted the spring retainers. Dart told me my pro 1 heads would come ready to bolt on, but the pushrods slots in the heads did not line up and I had to machine. Jeg's said that their stud girdle and polly loc kit would work with the Pro Magnum rockers, but I had to machine the polly locs. Ohio Crankshaft said the short blk they sent me was set up and ready to go, but when I checked the rod bearings they had 3.5 +- clearance and the blk had not been decked as promised. Finely I just turned the #$**@ thing over to my local machinist and said give me back a solid drag engine and he did. The moral to this story is sometimes a lot of #$@*% happens.

Bob

Not A T 25 05-25-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarter Flash
Not defending Berry Grant here, but when I put my 406 together the list of things I had to re-machine that was supposed to fit was surprising. Comp Cams told me my Pro magnum rockers would work with their cam kit, but the rockers contacted the spring retainers. Dart told me my pro 1 heads would come ready to bolt on, but the pushrods slots in the heads did not line up and I had to machine. Jeg's said that their stud girdle and polly loc kit would work with the Pro Magnum rockers, but I had to machine the polly locs. Ohio Crankshaft said the short blk they sent me was set up and ready to go, but when I checked the rod bearings they had 3.5 +- clearance and the blk had not been decked as promised. Finely I just turned the #$**@ thing over to my local machinist and said give me back a solid drag engine and he did. The moral to this story is sometimes a lot of #$@*% happens.

Bob

I know exactly what you are saying and that is a part of hot rodding but if we don't try to hold suppliers accountable it will soon become the norm instead of the exception. Every project I take on is more work than expected I have learned to expect it as a part of the hobby but what has disappointed me here is that I went the extra $$$ in an effort to avoid that and still seem to have a struggle ahead of me but I also believe given what others have experienced here in other post that Barry Grant Co. will do what ever it takes to make it right and that is very important!

Rambo_The_Dog 05-25-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Mark,

You have both a PM (here), and an email from us. We don't show any older emails in our system from you, and received the one about this situation at 11:32 PM last night, and you posted this thread at 11:56 PM not really enough time for us to get back to you. There is a typo on the water necks, the SBC systems only use a straight water neck, an angled neck would not fit with the forward carburetor. The angled necks are only offered on the BBC systems. As far as the air cleaner base, if you'll mail the BBC one back to us we'll send you out a new SBC unit.

If this is truly BG Support....While I defend your email response times (once emails are sent who knows how many times it gets routed or how long it takes) but telling a customer to
Quote:

"...if you'll mail the BBC one back to us we'll send you out a new SBC unit"
has got to be the single worst customer service response in this situation.

This isn't a 500.00 setup - this customer paid TOP DOLLAR for your system - and quite frankly with a SBC the customer had a lot more options to choose from than purchasing BG products - and telling him to foot the bill for packaging and shipping FOR YOUR ORDER DEPARTMENT PICKING AND PACKAGING MISTAKES is not going to earn you any business from me or a lot of others reading this thread.

I'm going to be watching this thread very closely as my time is fast approaching to buy my intake system...



If I were your customer - you would get the entire package back

Quarter Flash 05-25-2007 09:26 AM

Six Shooter disapointment
 
I have spent well over $30000 in parts on my project. As much as 20 - 25% of those parts I have had to make some alternations to or return for the correct part. I still believe in Berry Grant as a company, however I don't feel it would affect their long term financial status to send you the correct part and pay for the return of the incorrect part. The person that made the mistake should go the extra mile. You trusted them with your money, and now it's time for them to trust you with their part. Just my thoughts.

Bob

Not A T 25 05-25-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarter Flash
I have spent well over $30000 in parts on my project. As much as 20 - 25% of those parts I have had to make some alternations to or return for the correct part. I still believe in Berry Grant as a company, however I don't feel it would affect their long term financial status to send you the correct part and pay for the return of the incorrect part. The person that made the mistake should go the extra mile. You trusted them with your money, and now it's time for them to trust you with their part. Just my thoughts.

Bob

I feel what you have spoken goes for most all hot rodders there will always be some occasional modifications anytime you are building something custom and as you said a part of the price we spend is for the support we expect should we need it. for those who think the cost of this intake is excessive check out the Lokar bracket for the kick down and throttle TCB-40BG at $99 keep in mind it dosen't include any of the cables just the billet bracket a couple of springs and fittings Wow where is this hobby going looks like the little guy is getting priced out of the hobby unless you can settle for less than your dream. I have sent an Email to BG and still waiting on a reply nothing yet but I will definitely post the results.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.