Six Shooter disapointment Hope the Barry Grant guy is watching - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 58
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Six Shooter disapointment Hope the Barry Grant guy is watching

I received my Barry Grant six shooter set up for my SBC in my street rod and guess what the air cleaner dosen't fit I suspect it is for the Big Block Version it has BBC cut in the top of the base plate. I also expected to receive both the straight and angle thermostat housing for the money spent but only got the straight and of course I need the angle there is also only one port in the manifold for temp sensors for the kind of money I spent and the reputation of Barry Grant I am a little disappointed. I have left three messages on their tech page two before I purchased and one concerning the above, they state that they answer by close of business the following day mon thru fri but still waiting. I hope this is not a sign seems like this is my luck I tried to buy a system from vintage speed but ran into delivery problems so bit the bullet and decided to get the best "barry Grant" spent my last penny I hope its not shame on me.

    Advertisement
__________________
Success is getting what you want but happyness is liking what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 57
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wha is a bbc i might be able to help i know i am still learning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007, 11:34 PM
BLAZERMAN's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: GLEN BURNIE,MD
Age: 68
Posts: 46
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do they have a tec line you can call? If so I would give them a call about it. They must get over 100 e-mails a day and I guess sometimes it takes a while to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 01:34 AM
aka Duke of URL
 
Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,821
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will be a disappointment if they do not address it quickly. Please keep us informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 03:22 AM
Johnny406's Avatar
Poncho Power
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fountain Colorado
Age: 44
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty good traffic on one of the Pontiac forums on these. Seems for the Pontiac manifolds, the front carb mounting holes were drilled off and the carbs won't mount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 04:19 AM
Rambo_The_Dog's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 736
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMIKE79
wha is a bbc i might be able to help i know i am still learning
Big Block Chevrolet = BBC

I too am very interested in hearing about your outcome. I've been bouncing back and forth trying to decide on a dual quad setup (no particular make) or the BG Tri-Power - which is the only tri-power setup made for the 454 I have seen.

I do think the pricing is outrageous though @ 2400.00

That price almost makes me want to forget about the tri-power and step up and put a blower on my motor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 04:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 30
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo_The_Dog
I do think the pricing is outrageous though @ 2400.00
That price almost makes me want to forget about the tri-power and step up and put a blower on my motor!
I agree Rambo, that's alot of hay.
I'm hearing ya, and there's three things that would suggest you are right.

1:- Better power output.
2:- Probably better fuel mileage.
3:- No on going Barry Grant problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A T 25
I received my Barry Grant six shooter set up for my SBC in my street rod and guess what the air cleaner dosen't fit I suspect it is for the Big Block Version it has BBC cut in the top of the base plate. I also expected to receive both the straight and angle thermostat housing for the money spent but only got the straight and of course I need the angle there is also only one port in the manifold for temp sensors for the kind of money I spent and the reputation of Barry Grant I am a little disappointed. I have left three messages on their tech page two before I purchased and one concerning the above, they state that they answer by close of business the following day mon thru fri but still waiting. I hope this is not a sign seems like this is my luck I tried to buy a system from vintage speed but ran into delivery problems so bit the bullet and decided to get the best "barry Grant" spent my last penny I hope its not shame on me.

Mark,

You have both a PM (here), and an email from us. We don't show any older emails in our system from you, and received the one about this situation at 11:32 PM last night, and you posted this thread at 11:56 PM not really enough time for us to get back to you. There is a typo on the water necks, the SBC systems only use a straight water neck, an angled neck would not fit with the forward carburetor. The angled necks are only offered on the BBC systems. As far as the air cleaner base, if you'll mail the BBC one back to us we'll send you out a new SBC unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 AM
pepi's Avatar
How’s that hopey-changey thing
 
Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Georgia ... USA
Posts: 1,835
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ya just love it, looked at it and went back to the 2x4s plans, of course if you were bolyd c. old barry would be right there to install it for you. You might need a tv show also. All kidding aside I am getting the distinct impression that other then fancy castings there is a for sure quality problem going on, Summit discontinued the line. barry does write a tec. article for Track magazine not sure what to think of that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 58
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I apologize for the time between the messages but the problem is the same and please check again I sent two other messages over the last two weeks but that aside I would recommend you go ahead and send me the correct air cleaner ASAP with a return authorization for the wrong one if you want to make it right! But there is a bigger problem that may make me return the unit I may not be able to fit the straight thermostat housing in my car! Is there someone in particular I should call. The cost of this unit is a lot of money but it is beautiful and even with the minor problems the workmanship appears to be great. Please consider sending the replacement out ASAP and make this right. Again sorry for the short time between the email and post but as you should understand I am very frustrated I went with BG because I felt I wouldn't have any problems.
__________________
Success is getting what you want but happyness is liking what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merlin, Oregon
Age: 59
Posts: 260
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Six Shooter disapointment

Not defending Berry Grant here, but when I put my 406 together the list of things I had to re-machine that was supposed to fit was surprising. Comp Cams told me my Pro magnum rockers would work with their cam kit, but the rockers contacted the spring retainers. Dart told me my pro 1 heads would come ready to bolt on, but the pushrods slots in the heads did not line up and I had to machine. Jeg's said that their stud girdle and polly loc kit would work with the Pro Magnum rockers, but I had to machine the polly locs. Ohio Crankshaft said the short blk they sent me was set up and ready to go, but when I checked the rod bearings they had 3.5 +- clearance and the blk had not been decked as promised. Finely I just turned the #$**@ thing over to my local machinist and said give me back a solid drag engine and he did. The moral to this story is sometimes a lot of #$@*% happens.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 58
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter Flash
Not defending Berry Grant here, but when I put my 406 together the list of things I had to re-machine that was supposed to fit was surprising. Comp Cams told me my Pro magnum rockers would work with their cam kit, but the rockers contacted the spring retainers. Dart told me my pro 1 heads would come ready to bolt on, but the pushrods slots in the heads did not line up and I had to machine. Jeg's said that their stud girdle and polly loc kit would work with the Pro Magnum rockers, but I had to machine the polly locs. Ohio Crankshaft said the short blk they sent me was set up and ready to go, but when I checked the rod bearings they had 3.5 +- clearance and the blk had not been decked as promised. Finely I just turned the #$**@ thing over to my local machinist and said give me back a solid drag engine and he did. The moral to this story is sometimes a lot of #$@*% happens.

Bob
I know exactly what you are saying and that is a part of hot rodding but if we don't try to hold suppliers accountable it will soon become the norm instead of the exception. Every project I take on is more work than expected I have learned to expect it as a part of the hobby but what has disappointed me here is that I went the extra $$$ in an effort to avoid that and still seem to have a struggle ahead of me but I also believe given what others have experienced here in other post that Barry Grant Co. will do what ever it takes to make it right and that is very important!
__________________
Success is getting what you want but happyness is liking what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Rambo_The_Dog's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 736
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Mark,

You have both a PM (here), and an email from us. We don't show any older emails in our system from you, and received the one about this situation at 11:32 PM last night, and you posted this thread at 11:56 PM not really enough time for us to get back to you. There is a typo on the water necks, the SBC systems only use a straight water neck, an angled neck would not fit with the forward carburetor. The angled necks are only offered on the BBC systems. As far as the air cleaner base, if you'll mail the BBC one back to us we'll send you out a new SBC unit.
If this is truly BG Support....While I defend your email response times (once emails are sent who knows how many times it gets routed or how long it takes) but telling a customer to
Quote:
"...if you'll mail the BBC one back to us we'll send you out a new SBC unit"
has got to be the single worst customer service response in this situation.

This isn't a 500.00 setup - this customer paid TOP DOLLAR for your system - and quite frankly with a SBC the customer had a lot more options to choose from than purchasing BG products - and telling him to foot the bill for packaging and shipping FOR YOUR ORDER DEPARTMENT PICKING AND PACKAGING MISTAKES is not going to earn you any business from me or a lot of others reading this thread.

I'm going to be watching this thread very closely as my time is fast approaching to buy my intake system...



If I were your customer - you would get the entire package back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merlin, Oregon
Age: 59
Posts: 260
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Six Shooter disapointment

I have spent well over $30000 in parts on my project. As much as 20 - 25% of those parts I have had to make some alternations to or return for the correct part. I still believe in Berry Grant as a company, however I don't feel it would affect their long term financial status to send you the correct part and pay for the return of the incorrect part. The person that made the mistake should go the extra mile. You trusted them with your money, and now it's time for them to trust you with their part. Just my thoughts.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 58
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter Flash
I have spent well over $30000 in parts on my project. As much as 20 - 25% of those parts I have had to make some alternations to or return for the correct part. I still believe in Berry Grant as a company, however I don't feel it would affect their long term financial status to send you the correct part and pay for the return of the incorrect part. The person that made the mistake should go the extra mile. You trusted them with your money, and now it's time for them to trust you with their part. Just my thoughts.

Bob
I feel what you have spoken goes for most all hot rodders there will always be some occasional modifications anytime you are building something custom and as you said a part of the price we spend is for the support we expect should we need it. for those who think the cost of this intake is excessive check out the Lokar bracket for the kick down and throttle TCB-40BG at $99 keep in mind it dosen't include any of the cables just the billet bracket a couple of springs and fittings Wow where is this hobby going looks like the little guy is getting priced out of the hobby unless you can settle for less than your dream. I have sent an Email to BG and still waiting on a reply nothing yet but I will definitely post the results.
__________________
Success is getting what you want but happyness is liking what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which Barry Grant carb 1934chevycoupe Engine 3 11-20-2006 07:55 AM
question for barry grant guy 69er Engine 1 10-18-2005 09:42 AM
Barry Grant Demon carb gilby246 Engine 4 03-24-2005 01:12 PM
barry grant carb ??? k-star Engine 1 05-19-2004 06:14 PM
barry grant carb cjhutch02 Engine 2 12-22-2002 01:54 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.