Which size of alternator pulley?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 07:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which size of alternator pulley??

I am having problems keeping the alternator belt on right around 6000 rpm. The pulleys themselves are aligned so that is not the problem. My stock pulley is 2 5/8" and the only deep groove pulley I can find is a 5". With the 50% loss of charging at idle, the 5" is kinda out of my needs. I have looked at serpentine systems but the cost is not what I want to spend. I recently found this pulley on Ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...spagenameZWDVW) that looks like it is exactly what I want but not for sure if it would fit my alternator that I just bought 2 weeks ago when the fan on the alternator disengrated. It is a stock alternator for a 1983 Chevrolet truck. Do you guys know if it will fit or do you have another option?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Last photo:

What kind of car are we talking about? I had a 70 Nova that would sling the alternator belt at around 6500 (or if I missed a power shift). I eventually installed a 69 Z/28 deep groove pulley from GM.

Vince
Old 08-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Go to your local Alt/starter shop and tell them what you need and most likely you can get it for like $10 or so...?

As for a serpentine system if you want to keep your alternator on the passenger side and A/C or...? On the drivers side just go to the salvage yards and look for a V8 Chevy van 93-95 get all the brackets incl PS pump and use a new reverse rotation water pump and enjoy a single belt system that take a spin`in and keep tick`in...
Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

It is on a 1983 ex-diesel 4x4 that is used on the street and at local mud-bogs and drags. I would really like to keep my v-belt setup since my standard-rotation aluminum water pump is not that old. The alternator is on the passenger side and the hydraboost power steering pump is on the drivers. I have already checked around the local parts stores and came up with nothing except for a 5" pulley which will turn the alternator just a little too slow (I think). The salvage serpentine system is an idea but will be expensive in the long run just to keep an alternator belt on.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you can't find a deep groove pulley you can make one out of your old one by tack welding on some sheet metal discs (1/2" larger in diameter) on the front and back of the pulley. I've used this method with a few small four bangers. Deep groove pulleys are just not available for many of them. This won't stop the belt from flipping over on it's back however, keep adding tension if this happens to yours.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Solved my problem by going to a 1986 c-10 pulley set-up. It allows the power steering pump to go off of a v-belt and the alternator to go off a serpentine belt. Bought the pulleys for $10 and the belt was $25.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.