Skinnies on the highway - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Skinnies on the highway

Hey, I cant find any forums related to this anywhere, so Ill create one.

Do any of you drive on the highway with skinnies; Skinnies as in 7.10 x 15 Moroso drag specials?

They say "not for highway use", but why is that? Will they be prone to blow out if they get too hot; or are they too skinny to take turns at a high rate of speed?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 11:51 PM

If you corner with a heavy car you might roll the tires off the rims,peel the bead off the rim.Most street guys just use Volkswagen tires as they are ok to drive daily,but they are not speed rated. I had skinnies on My Z-28,1980. Handled awful.Car was very heavy and needed as much help as possible
Old 10-09-2013, 03:52 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Like Vinnie says. The tires are "Drag Specials" for a reason. Lite weight means less plys which translates into less sidewall stiffness for cornering. Granted, driving these on the street is done everyday but, they are very unsafe and can make for a dangerous to drive vehicle. There are better choices.
Mark
Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Sure makes ya wonder how the hell we all do wheelstands with them inflated to........

BTW-on street use,I totally agree it is dangerous.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Look for the D.O.T. rating on the side of the tire. No D.O.T., no street use.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

i did all through my high school years and honestly if i had to choose between those or the dot approved vw tires id go with those drag racing tires from moroso ive had a few blow outs at high speed with brand new vw tires. the drag tire will not be to friendly cornering so if you do use them you will have to be a little more careful driving and especially in the rain.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

If you do anything to get pulled over and the officer is just looking for something to gig you with and finds you running non-D.O.T. tires on the public highways, you're not gonna like the outcome. I know, I know, I was young myself once.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster76 View Post
i did all through my high school years and honestly if i had to choose between those or the dot approved vw tires id go with those drag racing tires from moroso ive had a few blow outs at high speed with brand new vw tires. the drag tire will not be to friendly cornering so if you do use them you will have to be a little more careful driving and especially in the rain.
It doesn't matter if the tires are DOT rated or not - using tires not designed for the application is just plain stupid. Skinny VW tires may be DOT approved, but I'm sure you were exceeding the load rating of those tires. Mis-use trumps the DOT rating. Have an accident with those tires on the front of a big-block car and you WILL be found at least partly at fault.

Front runner don't have the sidewall stiffness nor the heat capacity for sustanied highway use. The fact the people get away with it doesn't mean that it's OK.

NASA got away with using poorly-designed joints on the Space Shuttle boosters for 25 flights before Challenger.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
It doesn't matter if the tires are DOT rated or not - using tires not designed for the application is just plain stupid. Skinny VW tires may be DOT approved, but I'm sure you were exceeding the load rating of those tires. Mis-use trumps the DOT rating. Have an accident with those tires on the front of a big-block car and you WILL be found at least partly at fault.

Front runner don't have the sidewall stiffness nor the heat capacity for sustanied highway use. The fact the people get away with it doesn't mean that it's OK.

NASA got away with using poorly-designed joints on the Space Shuttle boosters for 25 flights before Challenger.
the load rating is about 1200lbs per tire on the vw tires it would be kind of hard to over load the tire on my 2800lb car considering there was only about maybe 15-1600lbs of wieght on the front tires in total. its all in the speed rating these tires are not designed to go fast, which is what i was referring to. furthermore what i am telling him if i had to choose between the two my vote goes to the moroso drag only tires. they are not made for handling, no they are not meant for a road trip but they are far safer to run than the vw counterparts is just my opinion. legality is a whole different subject if the cop that pulls you over wants to be a ****** im sure the tires are the least of your worries dark tints, loud exhaust, missing cat's, and the list of stuff they can write for 99% of hot rodders on the road goes on and on.

Last edited by monster76; 10-09-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: wrote a word twice
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:

If you need to run skinnies, run these...
Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

DOT rated and 8 plys... No brainer.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 PM

another big issue is braking!!!!!
skid into a bus load of kids,,,,,,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (10-09-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 AM
Nostalgic Racing Decals

Last photo:

Funny story

While reading about driving with skinny front drag racing tires it reminded me of sitting and talking with Dick Moroso back around 1967 when he told me he had just gotten off the phone with a company he found who would make the skinny front drag racing tires for him.

I will never forget the look on his face when he said Jim who would but a skinny front drag racing tire with an Italian guy's name on it?

I looked at him and said that's a good question and then he told me he had just placed an order for a few thousand tires!!!!!

The rest is history as they say.

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2013, 05:51 AM

Last photo:

Well if you want to look at the logic of tall skinnies for drag racing it is for sure to get unladen wt off and get a better R/T with roll-out.Let's say you know for sure the engine/power train is there,but every time you hit the tree,your package is off.The Moroso's are gonna help,but the M/T's not so much being a heavier tire.

It is those things for racing only parts and guys "trying" to go go a poser look or sound with a cam choice that gets me heated up.Why??. Well for one thing I think it undermines all we have learned over the yrs and ignores that.That part ticks me off.......................................
Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Both of my gassers run skinny tires, but I wont run strip rated skinny tires on the street! Mine are DOT street radials. 165-15 on my Austin, and 185-15 on my Falcon. The Falcon is heavier with the BBC engine, so I went a little wider on tire and wheel.
I drive my cars thousands of miles, through lots of cornering, and they work great. They also work great on the strip, and I see no huge advantage to using strictly strip front runners.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Both of my gassers run skinny tires, but I wont run strip rated skinny tires on the street! Mine are DOT street radials. 165-15 on my Austin, and 185-15 on my Falcon. The Falcon is heavier with the BBC engine, so I went a little wider on tire and wheel.
I drive my cars thousands of miles, through lots of cornering, and they work great. They also work great on the strip, and I see no huge advantage to using strictly strip front runners.
You do know how much do I respect your input.The race wt front runners are for sure for cars like my Malibu strip only car.It is the same goal as any drag racer would take to try to gain any advantage possible.It is apart of trying to get the car built so it will have a package for hits on the tree and 60' times in line with the power train combo it will have.I do think on the top end,they in a straight line race car,help handling given a taller tire thus really a larger contact patch for handling.Want to add I only run them with a tube.If your going to lose it on the top end,any tire will slide and then it is up somewhat to the driver.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.