Skip Wite Performance 383 or ZZ383 crate motor??? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cobalt, I think this is one of those times where you just shake your head and walk away, he'll get what he deserves. Remember, "Life's tough, but its even tougher when you're stupid."

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Cobalt, I think this is one of those times where you just shake your head and walk away, he'll get what he deserves. Remember, "Life's tough, but its even tougher when you're stupid."
I agree- when someone perceives something, it's THEIR reality. Doesn't matter what is said, or what the facts are. Perception is reality AFA they're concerned.

Funny, too, that I'm actually a 'moderate' when it comes to off-shore parts, especially compared to many- even those who've posted on this very thread. lol
Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I agree- when someone perceives something, it's THEIR reality. Doesn't matter what is said, or what the facts are. Perception is reality AFA they're concerned.

Funny, too, that I'm actually a 'moderate' when it comes to off-shore parts, especially compared to many- even those who've posted on this very thread. lol
Quality is quality and after years of politicians ramming this country's economy into the ground buying offshore makes sense in a lot of ways. I try to buy for value, value in product and support.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM

The PC heads are simply a good value for a mild to medium buildup. We sell the newest version Dart Platinum Pro One heads, and really think they to are a somewhat good value, all things considered. I did have a really good add on the Darts trying to emphasize some of the benifits, but sales on them were not very good. The PC heads fills the bill for so many street rodders on a budget and we are glad to have them. I do notice that some people that have choose to go with a set of Dart heads feel the need to critize others for using the lower cost PC heads. The PC heads certainly have a place, and always will. As far as reliability, they are excellent for the average street rodder. Most of these egines are using a hyd. flat tappet cam that would never see the benifit of higher flowing heads. I go to the local car shows frequently and see some really nice cars with the PC heads on them, and this is in line with the engine they usually have them on. It doesn't make sense to buy a set of heads costing $1,200.00 or more for an engine that has a $79.00 flat tappet cam in the 460 to 525 range. Your not going to see much if any difference from the better heads. On the other hand if you could afford to spend an additional $600.00 on your engine then the Dart or Afr heads would definately establish bragging rights, and improve the resale of your vehicle, plus offer outstanding reliability exceeding other low cost heads. If I only had $600.00 extra to spend on my engine, I think I would upgrade to a hyd. roller cam, and a set of retro lifters, and go up slightly on lift and duration or at least keep it the same, and add a set of stud girdles. Spending the $600.00 this way would make more sense in my opinion.

Last edited by SKIP WHITE; 01-12-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:59 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIP WHITE
If I only had $600.00 extra to spend on my engine, I think I would go with a hyd. roller cam, and a set of retro lifters, and go up slightly on lift and duration or at least keep it the same, and add a set of stud girdles. Spending the $600.00 this way would make more sense in my opinion.
Is this in addition to a set of PC heads already on this engine (in other words, not bought w/the same $600), or instead of a set of PC heads?

I can understand the Dart heads not selling as well as the PC's. When you can buy a new set of heads cheaper than you can rebuild and upgrade an OEM set, there will be takers- a lot of takers.

I'd still really like to pin down the seat material and the guide material. Not in order to find fault w/the heads.

I'm going to be surprised if the seats are some exotic alloy, in fact the intakes are likely ductile iron and the exhausts may just be hard bronze.

In that the guides are just liners, they could be manganese bronze but may be bronze/alloy.

Is the deck thickness known?

What aluminum alloy is used to make them?

And are the heads heat treated?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Is this in addition to a set of PC heads already on this engine (in other words, not bought w/the same $600), or instead of a set of PC heads?

I can understand the Dart heads not selling as well as the PC's. When you can buy a new set of heads cheaper than you can rebuild and upgrade an OEM set, there will be takers- a lot of takers.

I'd still really like to pin down the seat material and the guide material. Not in order to find fault w/the heads.

I'm going to be surprised if the seats are some exotic alloy, in fact the intakes are likely ductile iron and the exhausts may just be bronze alloy of some sort.

In that the guides are just liners, they could be manganese bronze but may be bronze/alloy.

Is the deck thickness known?
To clarify this, I meant that if you were doing an engine project from scratch such as a 350/383, and were going with a hyd. flat tappet cam, nothing real serious, the PC heads are in line. If you then could afford to spend another $600.00 on the engine, the cam upgrade would be more enjoyable, but if you spent the money on upgrading the heads, and kept the low cost hyd. flat tappet cam in the engine, you are not going to see much difference in performance. But then again as I said the bragging rights are certainly established with a set of Dart Platinum Pro one heads on the engine, not to mention a very high level of reliability, and excellent resale value on your vehicle or engine.

Last edited by SKIP WHITE; 01-12-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I think Cobalt is asking these questions because if quality can be verified then its a great deal. I'll get in line if the quality can be proven.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
I think Cobalt is asking these questions because if quality can be verified then its a great deal. I'll get in line if the quality can be proven.
I will talk to our head builder in the morning. He is very knowledgable on this. I'm sure the guide material is what it should be, as we have never had a customer experiance a problem with them. One thing for sure, if any of these factors were an issue we would have heard about it by now. You can't believe how many of these we have sold in the last two years with zero problems concerning guide and seat issues.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIP WHITE
I will talk to our head builder in the morning. He is very knowledgable on this.
Thanks for following up w/this with your head builder.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 PM

It really boils down to what Skip said in that if the PC heads are what you can afford then they are a viable alternative for a budget engine. if you feel you need more then step up and buy the Darts, AFR, Edelbrock or Brodix.
I don't think Skip needs to prove anything to anyone. He's a businessman and so long as he has confidence in what he sells and more importantly his customers buy what he sells then its all good.
I am sure he stands behind his product and has a good support team doing his head and machine work.
So Skip, I say keep up the good work!!!! If the product was bad in this electronic age we live in you would not still be enjoying great sales of these budget heads.
Just to set the record straight, our domestic manufacturers don't necessatily produce the best product available either. The United States and Canada have turned out their share of turds too!!!
It's good to be back!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

I'd like to hear the facts about the materials and heat treating, for comparison purposes. I never heard of pro comp engine components before this thread, so I'm wondering how they stack up.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 PM

Last photo:

Customers

If you can find one hotrod in china with north american parts then this thread makes sense. If as I suspect the closest thing to a hotrod is a two man rickshaw then don,t buy Chinese parts.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by price
If you can find one hotrod in china with north american parts then this thread makes sense. If as I suspect the closest thing to a hotrod is a two man rickshaw then don,t buy Chinese parts.
Those who type such nonsense on there Microsoft keyboard made in China that cost around $8.95 not to mention the low cost monitor and much of your computer don't seem to be complaining about those products. You most likely have more offshore parts on your car than you realize that were installed at the factory. Weather or not this situation is a good thing, it's part of life. If you require a level of quality that is not offered by offshore products, then by all means seek it from a company you trust, and of coarse you must pay the price. Could part of this flood of offshore products be the result of several factors, such as many companies charging unrealistic prices for products. I know many will say that operation costs in the US are the only reason for high prices, and I say that's only part of the cause. I have in the past offered a somewhat full line of overpriced US made products, and still do offer some of them. If it were all that I offered I would be out of business for sure. So tell me what I should do. I sell 1600 HEI distributors a month for various applications. The average price is around $42.00 MSD's average price is around $250.00 each. I know they are better quality, but I can't sell them, so I stopped trying. I can truly appriciate the outstanding quality of these products that are US made, and do sell some of these items that are much to critical in tolorances to take a chance on. Just remember no body is forcing you to buy products from countries that you don't want to support. You tell me what to do. My decisions are dictated by my customers. I personally would prefer many of the not so overpriced products that are made here. One of my suppliers offered me an offshore sbc oil pump for about 35% less than the Melling M55HV. Well our price on the Melling M55HV is only around $23.00 and it is a truely good value, and knowing that Melling has invested much money and time in seeing that this oil pump will last the life of the engine, means a lot to me. So for a difference of about $7.00 I would not even consider going for a no name Chinese knockoff oil pump. This is not the case on many products. The price difference is dramatic on some items, and this is when I take the additional step of testing. There are some products that are pure junk, and I avoid them regardless of how low the price is.
Bottom line is, people are quick to criticize others for buying or selling offshore products that they know nothing about. I'd like to see someone try making a living selling US made Fabricated valve covers for about $300.00 per pair. You should see the ones made in Tiawan for around $58.00 retail price. These offshore fab. valve covers are amazing in quality. This is all that many people can afford. Any many that could afford the overpriced valve covers, can't justify the huge price tag.

Last edited by SKIP WHITE; 01-13-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by price
Update on Chinese transportation. The rickshaw is being phased out, check this out from Shanghai China. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxXSo6HNbhA
It' not a hotrod, but it's sure not a rickshaw. So does this thread now make sense.

Last edited by SKIP WHITE; 01-13-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 AM

What it boils down to is that you give the customer what they want at the price they want it at. An old timer once told me to give my customers thier moneys worth. I think some people dont understand business. I have a set of skips fabracated valve covers and they work great. I also have a procomp efi distributor, I havnt installed it yet but I will let everyone know. A 383 long block capable of 420hp for less than 4K brand new, is a good value, period the end.

To Cobalt,

I wasnt trying to piss you off. I think before you recommend a part you should know the part inside and out. I hate to burst your bubble but money makes the world turn at every level. Some people dont have 1200 bucks to spend on heads for a street driven cruiser. Again I am not attacking, I just get tried of advising against something they have never tried personally.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.