Hot Rod Forum banner

skipwhite's 383 ROTATING ASSEMBLY

13K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  1Gary 
#1 ·
#6 ·
WHY do people have to go to a "Skip White" for a combo they if they spent the time to research the parts themselves could put together a combo of their own. AND more than likely a better one.Gezzzz,apart of hot rodding is learning this stuff,not como's by posting on forums and decisions make by juries.

Bottom line,want my opinion??. You get exactly what you pay for. No deals out there. And for you to learn about the parts is key.....................

#8 ·
Skip had a hei unit reasonably priced. No expirience with his other stuff.

Most hobbists benefit from the pre packaged engine combinations, like edelbrock or trick flow. They work awesome too, and they are more than happy to stand behind their product.

The problem with this hobby is you do NOT always get what you pay for. Machine shops are bad, body shops are worse.

A number of local guys use summitracing heads and love them.

#9 ·
90% of guys are buying pre-packaged deals and have no clue they must have weak links included in them in order to get to the price they are being offered at.And having no clue is what has damaged this sport.And what I am talking about is not the better examples of proven pre-packaged deals.

#10 ·
Hell I can sell you a bill of goods right out of a catalog never owning one bit of it and pocket the profits over what it costs me.QUESTION??. WHY would you want to pay a middle man,when you can do that for your self.If it sounds too good to be true,then it is.................

#11 ·
I ordered that kit your looking at, plus I got the block also. 4 bolt main 1 piece rmc. I assembled it about 3 weeks ago. The bores, mains, rods, pistons, everything mic'd perfect. Block clearancing, excellent.

The H-beam rods are Pro Comp. I spent about a week or so researching these rods before I ordered. I read tons of bad reviews on them by people that haven't actually ran them. Only hearsay. Now, I'm sure there are some real failures, I just didn't run onto them.
I found a few that have ran them and they were pleased. I figure for an engine that will probably never see about 5500 rpm, they should work out fine for me. They come with 8640 manley bolts.

Attachments

#14 ·
Up grades??. That is kind of vague.

Obviously anyone can make a shopping list and compare the costs between a kit and the individual parts to see if and how much is being saved. And I believe most will do just that before buying.

The potential advantage of buying a 'kit' as opposed to sourcing the parts individually is due to the economies of scale.

If you buy parts individually from vendors, you're still paying a middle man. Plus you're paying shipping/handling on every item that comes from a different vender or manufacturer.

Many if not all manufacturers do not offer price breaks to individual buyers. They instead offer the price breaks to vendors who buy in quantity.

A vendor who buys a large quantity will then have an advantage over his competitors regarding pricing.

Buying parts in kit form from a reputable vendor takes the guesswork out parts compatibility as long as there is good communication between the parties.

If building a no holds barred, spare no expense engine this probably wouldn't be the way to go, although there are some good packages offered by Mitchell, Shafiroff, Kasse and others.
We have networked manufacture direct purchases for yrs.Well really we have met many face on face and created those contacts.We aren't anyone special,so if your willing to do some leg work,you would be amazed at what you can get done.

#13 ·
Economies of scale

Obviously anyone can make a shopping list and compare the costs between a kit and the individual parts to see if and how much is being saved. And I believe most will do just that before buying.

The potential advantage of buying a 'kit' as opposed to sourcing the parts individually is due to the economies of scale.

If you buy parts individually from vendors, you're still paying a middle man. Plus you're paying shipping/handling on every item that comes from a different vender or manufacturer.

Many if not all manufacturers do not offer price breaks to individual buyers. They instead offer the price breaks to vendors who buy in quantity.

A vendor who buys a large quantity will then have an advantage over his competitors regarding pricing.

Buying parts in kit form from a reputable vendor takes the guesswork out parts compatibility as long as there is good communication between the parties.

If building a no holds barred, spare no expense engine this probably wouldn't be the way to go, although there are some good packages offered by Mitchell, Shafiroff, Kasse and others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.