slant 6 ignition question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Getting distracted at work...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

slant 6 ignition question

So I have everything on the slant six hooked up with the exception of the charging system. I found out on accident that I need a voltage regulator(guy at Pep Boyz said something about it). And right now, if I spray some starter fluid in the carb, crank the motor; it fire right up, but then dies immediately. I have a few more wires left, with nowhere to go. I read something in my Haynes manuel about a ballastor resistor?? My car is a 71...am I supposed to have one? I can't seem to figure this whole alternator/ignition system out. And its really the only thing left to keep the engine from running. But I really need some guidance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerGVette
I read something in my Haynes manuel about a ballastor resistor??
If the ballast resistor is bad, what can happen is the car will run as long as the key is all the way over to "START" (w/starter engaged), but will die immediately when you let off to "RUN", if you follow me.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
If the ballast resistor is bad, what can happen is the car will run as long as the key is all the way over to "START" (w/starter engaged), but will die immediately when you let off to "RUN", if you follow me.
That's exactly what's happening; except I don't even have one. The guy who had the car before me started taking apart the slant six for a motor swap. So a lot of the little stuff like that is missing. But I do need one, right?
Old 03-05-2010, 05:58 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

yes you do need a ballast resistor to make that run. you should see 2 hole on the firewall where the old one was mounted. if you don't know what they look like.........it is a ceramic rectangle with a connection on each end.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetdart
yes you do need a ballast resistor to make that run. you should see 2 hole on the firewall where the old one was mounted. if you don't know what they look like.........it is a ceramic rectangle with a connection on each end.
About how big(gauge) are the wires that go to it?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
WFO

Last photo:

I have no idea. I see blue ones, brown ones... lol

If it were me- I'd be looking very hard for a wiring diagram for your particular car.

I notice some diagrams do not actually say "this is the ballast", but you should be able to look at the diagrams and figure it out. There will be a wire running to the ballast from the "+" side of the coil- usually brown- can't miss it!

Enlarge the diagrams by holding the cursor over the diagram until the expand box appears in the right bottom corner, then click on it- else it will be next to impossible to read.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Mopar Slant Six (and other Mopars and AMCs) Ignition Modification

Hi HammerGVette, the need for different ballast resistors depends on if you have an electronic ignition system or not. I am active in 'slantsix.org', and what we actually recommend (mopar diehards read the links before making grufff) is a switch to GM/Ford ignition parts, used with a stock Mopar distributor. One of the reasons is to get rid of the ballast resistors, secondly to get a hotter spark, thirdly the new mopar parts you may need is mostly chinese made (s)crap! See this link, extremely much info there. The modification also applies to Mopar V8s, for V8s there is even a cool little custom billet bracket to mount a GM ignition module on the underside of the dizzy available on the web. AMC owners have the same issues with their ignition systems, this mod. is discussed on several Jeep forums. I am myself in the works of mounting a GM ignition module (Standard #LX301) and Ford coil (Standard #FD478) on my slantsix Aspen.

I hope the moderators here don't mind me directing people into another forum, there is no competition between us, and these are relevant issues to keep the SlantSixes running for another 40 years, but now with a lot more power and driveablility.
(...there is an australian 679hp slantsix Valiant on youtube...)

Besides, SlantSix hotrods are way cool!

Olaf
Old 05-01-2010, 10:12 PM

I drove a slant six for a while, and had a ballast resistor go out on the side of the road, so i ran a wire directly into the ignition coil from the battery and tried starting the motor. if you do that and it starts, it means all that you will need the ballast resistor. (to my understanding you can't run without one or it burns the coil up)
Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Get an aftermarket coil, they can run on 12VDC all the time negating the need for a ballast resistor. Might as well go completely electronic, you can even keep the points style ignition trigger if you want.

You need to get a wiring diagram or at least look at an intact car so you can figure out the wiring. Should be an example in a junkyard somewhere near you.

Since most Dodges use the same color coded wiring this Challenger diagram should be similar.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:29 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Here's a 1971 Dart front wiring diagram, from the link in post #6. The original question was from a couple months ago, but perhaps it'll help someone doing a search for similar info:

Old 05-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Hi HammerGVette, because you haven't bought the parts yourself, and therefore cannot be sure of what you have, your coil may also be one of the aftermarket 'high performance' coils that use a non-standard size ballast resistor that is bypassed with full voltage from the starting circuit, and then is fed via the resistor for normal operation. As pointed out by another member, such coils cannot function for a very long time without a ballast resistor. If you have a points distributor, '4 Jaw Chuck' and 'cobalt327's diagrams show you all you need. If the previous owner installed an electronic ignition system, he may have used the diagrams in this link: Electronic Ignition Conversion Instructions.
For testing your coil: Mopar Coil Test Procedure
Single ballast resistor electronic ignition systems: (4-Pin Electronic Ignition)
Dual ballast resistor electronic ignition systems: (5-Pin Electronic Ignition)
Mopar wiring diagrams from 1955 trough 1976, cars and some trucks: Mopar Wiring Diagrams
Simplified Charging Diagram w/Dual Field Alternator & Electronic Voltage Regulator: Dual_Field_Alternator_Wiring
(not correct if late model or aftermarket single wire alternator is installed)

In my personal opinion, a high performance system like the MSD is overkill on the SlantSix, the HEI mod will give plenty performance for a lot less money.
Olaf

Last edited by olaf; 05-02-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.