Sleeper or no sleeper. Thats the question? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: sleeper or not?
I would build a crazy rat fink ride 5 21.74%
I would build a super sleeper 17 73.91%
I would like to hire Hemmi for stud service 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2003, 11:22 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sleeper or no sleeper. Thats the question?

Hello All.
Just thought a car pool question might liven up the place.
I always liked radical looking rides with blowers, duel 4's and scoops. But Ive kinda grown to enjoy the super fast, stock looking cars also. So. If you was starting from scratch and had no other rides. Would you build a sleeper, or build a cartoon looking street rod? HG

Advertisement

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

I think that my Formula is a sleeper, it is an F-body, but it looks exactly like a V6 F-Body, so people even 4th gen F-Body owners mistake it for a V6 when it's got the same LS1 that they all come with, except for mine is mildly modded. Before the Formula I had a 92 Silverado with a ZZ4 350 in it with a few extra little tricks done to the engine, 373 posi, a Built T-5 and Centerforce clutch. The paint was fading, had steel wheels on it & had 1 white wall on the front. Ran a best of 13.55 @ 104. Was a real sleeper, if I wouldn't have gone so broke buying the Formula I would spraying that thing into the 12's right now.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:35 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

how come no option for Hemmi rat stud service????
Old 08-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Sleeper!!!!!
Old 08-02-2003, 03:50 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Can I get a phone # for that 3rd option??
Old 08-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

HG,

what's under your hood? Sounds like your trying to come in from the pasture.

Sleeper for me, don't need to show to brag, just wup some a**.

Dutch
Old 08-02-2003, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

I was just wondering. Mainly drumming up some chat. After tubbing my Gremlin, It sorta ruins the sleeper effect. I guess mine will be a crazy Ratfink toy. Hg

P.S. Mine's just a very mild 355ci sbc. An honest(maybe) 300-325 horses. Its at least starting now, but still cuts out a little. I gotta get a timming light and set my timming still. Im definatly building a new motor for next year. Maybe a blown 350 or a Dodge 440???? Never no about me. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 08-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

sleeper or rat fink ride

Man I gotta go with the Rat Fink sleeper rides. I have and really like building the radical rides much better. My 53 Chevy 210 2dr post has a 350hp 350sbc, 350turbo trans with a shift kit, line lock, 4wheel disc brakes, shortened ford 9" with 31X18X15 rear tires and little skinny tires up front on 14" wheels, full cage, ratchet shifter, backhalfed 4link rear suspension. The looks I get when people realize how this car is setup when they check it out at the car shows and cruise-ins. They get down on their hands and knees and look at the tires from the rear and shake their heads. My car looks stock except for the exhaust running through the 69chevelle side pipes.

Todd

RAt Rods Rule!
Old 08-02-2003, 09:57 PM
you're killin me buck!

Last photo:

what happened to the caddy mill?
Old 08-03-2003, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

It went to Harold when he bought the Caddy. You know how much I change my mind. Hg

Old 08-03-2003, 09:25 AM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Crazy cartooned ratfink ride. Didn't you exspect that from me? Cut that hood up stick a huge chrome blower out with a tri carbed setup and for scoops forget the 'vette scoops go out and get on of those gremlin plastic action figures and make a mold of the head and make some fiberglass gremlin heads and run some linkage so that the mouths will open when you give it some juice. If you plan on addin' some boost you can vent from the nostrils of the little grewsomes. Paint that block a mean green. Paint the rest of the car a trick olive with a gold pearl (very nice even though it sound llike sheet) Add a cool tribal strip down the side like the old AMC's had down the side that wedge shape and you'd have yourself a snortin' gremlin!

Or if you wanted to to bring in something about rat fink just paint the gremmie like a wedge of chease with small wedges as scoops and have the rat taking bites out for a more comical ride. Lotsa coin for airbrush work though.

HK
Old 08-06-2003, 12:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Sleeper..after my 36 is done, I'd like to build a Studebaker Lark, big block chevy, tubbed but the wheel wells radiused and lowered to hide the big meats. 5 speed with about 450 horse, some fun.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:50 AM

Last photo:

only trucks & trains have sleepers
if youve got it flaunt it thats what i say
there aint nothing better than that feeling you get when pulled
up at the lights and theres a buzz box in the next lane
hes going rrrrrring rrrring your cars going rumpety rumpety his girl is looking at your coool ride
shes all smilling at you and your car he cracks the sadds
and races of from the lights you keep your cool and motor off
hey he won the race sure
but you wernt racing you were cruzing
now hes all confused.

cool car sitting at the lights every one with half an ounce of cool is looking at it little kids are waving dads in there daily drivers are cursing cause they sold thier oldie and that guy in the ricer he still dont get it hes going green with envy hes gota do somthing stupid like stall it up or speed of fast

some people dont like sitting in a hotrod and have everybody stare but me im an addict

Last edited by ianhealey; 08-06-2003 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

A friend of mine's dad bought a new chevy pick-up in '74, with less than 30 miles on the odometer he jerked the motor out and shipped it off for $7K in engine work. $7k in 74 frogskins would be what? about $25K today? anyway that truck was streetable, (barely) but would break 12 seconds on DOT tires, He ran a 10.1 with open headers and a pair of M/T slicks. We loved to borrow that truck to run for parts, beer or whatever. We had a county sheriff set up his new fangled radar on an unopened expressway and tried to get a top end reading. His radar went to 160 and over ranged. (on the round chevy truck speedo, 0 was at the 7 o'clock position, 100 was at the 5 o'clock. We could run the needle all the way around and back to 45. No Idea how fast that was, but it was WAY to fast for a stock bodied pick-up, on first generation radial tires! shifted out of second with the speedo pointing straight down. We embarrassed hell out of a local gearhead with his big block 72 vette. Whipped him in both a 1/4 mile and in a "flyin mile".
That was a sleeper!
Old 08-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Rooster

I agree with ianhealey. when monster pulls up to the lights she's lurching, shaking, slobbering and basically just reeks of horsepower. there's no hiding that. cars don't "rev up" their engines next to her because there's no question she's every bit as nasty as she looks and sounds. sleepers are a thing of the past, when drag racing on the streets was punished by a slap on the hand. now days if you light em up down the boulevard you're looking at some seriously steep fines not to mention your insurance will go threw the roof. if it's nasty it will show, and then when you don't race it's because the other car isn't worth the ten gallons it would take to open your baby up.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.