Hot Rod Forum banner

sleeving a 350 engine

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  packratwrecker 
#1 ·
OK, so you guys have talked me into getting a 350, haha. A friend of my dads is selling me a low mileage longblock for 300$, however one of the bores needs to be sleeved because of a groove in the side. I am wondering if the engine will still be able to handle a lot of power if this is done (around 450-500 HP)??? I heard that it can't, but I am hoping the person is wrong. Thanks.

#3 ·
"groove in the side" has me a bit confused, try and give a little more detail. If the engine is low mileage where did the groove come from? If your looking to make the power you say you are you won`t do it with stock pieces so you have to ask yourself is it worth $300 plus another $100 for the sleeve job alone and other machine work needed? I`d keep looking.

#7 ·
sleeved

That is too much! You should be able to find a whole 350 motor in your local paper or we have shoppers in Louisiana. Even a junk yard should not charge over a couple hundred for a rebuildable short block Lluciano you are lucky to find your block for that price; I dont know about there but here I looked for two years ti find a good 400, I got mine for $125 but probably like you I did some talking. The 400 is scarce but the 350s are very common , easy to find. Of course its good to know the block you get is in good shape if you can ; like see it runnimg or smoking maybe but thats not always possible. $300 is just too much for a 350 block needing sleeving.

#9 ·
yeah sounds like your dad's friend is trying to make a buck on his screw up. SOme friend.

That and I don't know if I'd put a 500 horse 350 in that car for the street. Do you realize that you'll blow the rear, fry the trans and probably twist that unibody up before the day is done? Well, all that and on top of that the car will be virtually undrivable on the street.

Think about it man-

K

#10 ·
If it is a high output engine, complete with carb., dist, brackets etc. then thats not to bad. I would shop around, you might beat that price.
The sleeve should be no problem if it is done right.

Troy

#11 ·
$300.00 is a little high for it I think.Tell him you talked to some "knowledgable friends" and then offer him $200.00.If it is done right the sleeve should hold.I just gave a 350 block away last week that had #1 sleeved.It was taking up valuable room on the garage floor.

#12 ·
A sleeved repair is fine if the damage is within limits. I wouldn't use the block if the damage is so deep that the overbore for for the sleeve would not completely remove it and the block has no cracks. Some people have used sleeves to repair cracks and most times they get away with it for street use. You might have problems finding a machine shop that will sleeve that block. If the block just has some grooving from the wrist pin that's not too bad but I've seen wrist pin damage that was as deep or deeper than the sleeves are thick. Deep but repairable damage makes the cutter of the boring bar make interrupted cuts which is very hard on the cutter. This is why the shop might not want to fix a repairable block.

#13 ·
I have to agree with everyone else. $300 for a damaged block is totally out of line, unless it is really something special.
If you have the time, watch the classifieds.
Often, you can buy an old junker pickup for less than buying a junkyard engine, or block.
I've seem several mid-70's 1/2 ton 4x4's with 10/20 alloy blocks. That extra chromium in the block, will make a difference on ring wear, especially if you are taking about a 500hp turbo engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.