Sleeving SBC cylinders? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 AM
AK427

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sleeving SBC cylinders?

The Vortec block I'm currently building has 2 damaged cylinders (scored walls due to shrapnell when the engine let go in its previous application). All the other cylinders are perfect with cross-hatch still just about visible. Although I anticipate the scored cylinders will probably clean-up at 40 over, my machinist (who doesn't know anything specific about SBCs) suggested I might want to consider sleeving the 2 damaged cylinders in order to retain the original bore size and avoid unnecessary work on the other 6 cylinders.

Is it possible to sleeve an SBC in this way?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
More for Less Racer

Yes, but the interference fit required for the sleeves will distort the cylinders next to the ones you sleeve when the sleeve is pressed in, requiring them to be bored oversize to get them back round again. Sleeving not the best option when the only problem is scored walls and a common oversize is available, sleeving best reserved for more extensive damage like a split cylinder wall.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 AM
AK427

Last photo:

Thanks for info... I'll stick with a rebore to +30/+40.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:57 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I'd just bore the bad holes oversize and cleanup the others if at all possible. It's no big deal to have a couple .040 holes and the rest std. Be sure you mark the holes for future reference. If you really want to split hairs you can match the weight of the .040 pistons to the std pistons. I reserve sleeves for the really bad stuff, deeply scored or split walls. I've run motors with 8 sleeves and even removed and re-sleeved as necessary. It's always risky when you have to bore into water. By this stage of the game it is done to save an expensive block or hard to replace block. Maybe get a few more miles or few more runs out of it while you are looking for a new one. I don't get carried away with re-plate honing a sleeved block as the block will go everywhere but straight anyway. I've seen 8 sleeve blocks leak only 2% for a long time and other times a single sleeve won't seal at all. It's gamble anyway you do it. The real exception is diesel blocks. These are regularly heavily sleeved and often re-bored again. The saving factor is there is a huge amount of iron in a diesel block and they are very rigid in any case.

If your guy doesn't know what he is doing, find someone who does. It's not extreme science. Standard engine practice.

Last edited by bentwings; 03-05-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.