slick sand - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
poly primers are more porous and less durable and epoxy is the most dense of all primers. There's a lot more rust protection from Epoxy than poly primers but you're right, not advisable for someone that's not used to doing bodywork.
Well of course, until you sand epoxy too thin, then it has very little corrosion protection. I do two wet coats of epoxy on everything by default. Within my 7 day recoat I'll do Slick Sand, or 2k if I feel pretty good about the panel. I don't know that the poly primer provides ANY rust protection and that's not what I count on it for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 08:42 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have abused Slick sand in experiments like you can't believe, it is some amazing stuff. Can it fill? Let me put it this way, you could tape a quarter on the fender and BURY it with one application of Slick sand.

The only reason I don't like it is you will begin to not do finish work that you should be doing just because you know you don't need to.....and your work can suffer.

I see it as the perfect, absolutely perfect product for when you have a bunch of body lines and that sort of thing, a tail gate covered in filler around the stamped in letters, a firewall, inner fenders, those are perfect uses for it. You can sand the filler with much coarser paper roughing it out quickly without worrying about going down to finer papers and feather edging nice. You then apply a few coats of polyester primer and you have essentially applied a "skim coat" of polyester putty but without all the little ridges and crap from spreading it out around all those body lines and what not.

Like I said I have abused it, where I sanded the filler with brand new, sharp 36 grit paper and then applied it right over that. Later sanding that from 120-180-220-320-400-600 and applying a bc/cc right over it and literally years later not seeing any scratch swelling or anything. I had a Harley gas tank display that I used as a paint rep where I did this and painted a pearl paint job over it and proudly put it out for display at dealers shows and what not and it looked like a million bucks. The stuff is pretty neat that is for sure.

Brian
I think your work can suffer if you know no better. It happened to me. I started my job at bodycraft and they'd spray 2 coats of a really thin 2k. just meant one more coat of filler . It took me all but 5 minutes to adjust . I never sprayed slick sand but featherfill is NOT like a skim coat, nothing close to it. It's for WAVES, not dings. When I say 3 coats that means most of the primer will end up on the ground. Doesn't mean I'm trying to cover quarters or nickels. Poly primers are logical in a business atmosphere and most show cars have been poly primed.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnBortles View Post
Now I know this will generate some negative feedback but my one experience with Slick sand was not good. I've been custom painting cars since 1979. Recently a customer used Slick Sand on his project and I basecoated over it and did flames. As I was pulling the tape from the flames, the basecoat lifted from the Slick sand. We had to sand off every bit of basecoat, sand the primer again just to be sure, the customer had sanded but maybe he has not sanded it enough. So we used 400.
I'm almost done with the flames and there's still a few spots that paint is pulling up from the Slick Sand.
I know one thing, I'll never use that stuff in my shop. I'll stick with my PPG K36 when i need to fill, and PPG DP epoxy when I need to seal.
The customer sanded it, that is all I need to know, believe me your experience was not a usual one, it was a freak occurrence. Painting on something that a customer prepped is what I would be stopping instead.
But I sure can see your apprehension to ever use it again. I have done the same with other products, many of us have. When something bites you, you don't use it again PERIOD. But don't be so hard on the polyester primer, it can really be a great work horse for you.

Brian
Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
The customer sanded it, that is all I need to know, believe me your experience was not a usual one, it was a freak occurrence. Painting on something that a customer prepped is what I would be stopping instead.
But I sure can see your apprehension to ever use it again. I have done the same with other products, many of us have. When something bites you, you don't use it again PERIOD. But don't be so hard on the polyester primer, it can really be a great work horse for you.

Brian
yeah, that's what I'd suspect. A good prep takes time. A good light can help to tell you if it's prepped well.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

Brian
I don't normally work over primer a customer painted but this was a special project and not a large one. I usually like to stay with one line of paint from start to finish.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoAnnBortles For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnBortles View Post
I don't normally work over primer a customer painted but this was a special project and not a large one. I usually like to stay with one line of paint from start to finish.
Yes, if you search "FOLLOW THE TECH SHEETS" here on the forum you will see a hundred posts of mine. Yes, staying with all the same products can't be beat.

But lets face it, custom paint in general are "controlled mistakes" (Candy, pearls, cob webbing, fades, etc) So thank goodness there has been a lot of custom painters going out of the tech sheets or we wouldn't have the beautiful art we see today.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.