Slideing doors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 01:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Arrow Slideing doors

Ok you customizeing gods. I have a 87 Ford SuperCab. I would like to have both doors open like a slideing van door. I would also like to make it work with a remote. So the door would pop open and then slide back useing hydraulics or something. Any ideas on how to do the tracks so it will slide but have the door still look stock?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

I'd call that crazy, but then I'd have to start spouting cliches at myself like 'that's the pot calling the kettle black' and so on..

The engineer in me is spouting through all kinds of.. challenges.. with this kind of project..

Anyway.. I would think the logical place to start on something like this would be to look at, and most likely use, similar mechanisms off of a van or mini-van. Since the mini-van boom is out and the SUV thing is in, I'd think it shouldn't be hard to find parts vehicles.

I would anticipate that some of your bigger challenges might be secure closing of the door (so that it doesn't fly open while you're driving and send you rolling down the street) and sealing (so you aren't holding an umbrella in the closed car during rain)

Also, I'd venture to guess that you might have no choice but to sacrafice the objective of a stock appearance on either the inside or outside..

If you want to do something different with doors, have you considered gull-wing doors?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the reply

I did consider gullwing doors but I have seen customs done that way allready. I might have to go that way but I'm going to try my hardest to get this to work. I'll find a Cab at a wrecking yard to be my victim. I'll try two different approaches since I have two sides to work with. I could put a "tounge and groove" type fixture where the door would meet the cab and use a solinoid to lock it in place. Dont know if that makes sense. I'll draw up something for a visual. I think this could be pretty cool IF I can get it to work.
I will look at a mini van at the wrecking yard to see how it works and then cut the top and bottom door rails out of it.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:50 AM

Last photo:

one problem i can foresee is the sliding rail, try and take a good look at the side door of an astrovan for example, it has a slide rail that runs down the side of the quarter panel, you'd have to stick this on the side of the bed... also the rockerpanels and roof-rail would have to have sliders installed, not hard, just a lot of work.... and if its a super-cab. you'd have to remove the pillar so the front and rear doors were welded together and both slid open.... but getting in and out would be considerably easier even for a morbidly obese person
Old 04-16-2004, 10:40 AM

On an 87 ford f150 supercab the extended part does not include a door. So what would need to be done is weld the door shut and cut the extended cab portion out with the door giving us a large door. If the sliders were mounted towards the front of the doors we could get it to slide pretty far back. Any ideas on how to support the cab without the sheetmetal present.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

Two Doors

How about leaving the front door, and making the rest a removable section? Add safety locking into the ceiling and floor for the original door. On the removable portion use something like the Cadillac trunk lock where you start the closing process and let the locking device finish it. Once you have that stage finished, it would be a fairly easy step to move to sliding door. The structural strength could be added to the frame with 3/8 flat stock. Just a starting thought.

hr41pearl
Old 04-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you don't want Gullwing doors, how about Lamborghini style doors? I heard there are kits availabe for these doors. You'd probably be the only one that has Lamborghini style doors on your truck. Sliding Doors would be pretty hard to make because of the rails and everything associated with it. For the lamborghini doors you could use stong actuators. Just an idea.

http://www.autobashment.com/gallery/...ex2003/ek3.jpg

This is a kit

http://www.wickedbodies.net/generic523.html

http://www.streetracinggallery.com/L...-Shipping.html

Mike
Old 04-22-2004, 05:09 PM

I'm going to just go with suicide doors. I'll keep the sliding door project for another truck.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.