Hot Rod Forum banner

Slider member 4512 this is Slider member 3585 over!!!!

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  38 special 
#1 ·
It had to happen!!! That`s why i post as Slider in Wa. I got that red 57 p.u. with my post. Have you been on here long? Where are you from? What are your projects? Welcome aboard Slider.
Slider in Wa.

#3 ·
Slider in wa, love the shot of the trike your building, its simular to the frame I have in storage. Where did you get the center gear drive casing from? My first trike I used one from HD I found in a pick a part bike yard. This one on my trike in storage is machined from aluminum and I got the specs from a guy I knew from across the pond. That one looks peachy, a bit of paint and some cool rims and those would be great! If you ever decide to do a custom scooter and need some painting help or sheetmetal services for a vet let me know, be glad to donate what I can.

HK

#6 ·
HK, Is your question about the gear case? If so it is part of the sporster engine. I had to have a 17 tooth counter shaft sprocket built, to make the 37 tooth rear gear work with the Sporster tranny gears. Anyway it is for the wife and she wants Mother of pearl white with a purple clear coat. And she gets what she wants (after 30 years i quit tryin to change here mind.)I`m glad you like what you see. Should you break out that frame now?????? Thanks
Slider in Wa.

#7 ·
Yeah man, I'm all for breaking out the frame, its been in storage for about two years. Don't have any running gear for it but got the lookin goodies for it. I'll start on it after I get my rod done, it will probably be early to late july '03 before I start working with it. I think once I get it out a pul together ready for running gear you'll like it, its enough to make any rodder proud ;)

I say that might not look too shabby, I myself am not a big fan of purple, but I once had a VW bug with mother of pearl with a blue/lavender pearl in the clear. Looked pretty good. Still have the bottle of pearl if you don't have any yet, let me know if you need it and if I can find it I'll send it to you. Its called lavender or something but its purple at sight. I think Mamma will like it. You can't complain much, at least she supports your hobbies ;) :D

HK

#8 ·
Don`t know the frist thing about painting. I was told the paint she wants is not cheap. Isn`t it amazing when they come home and tell you how much they saved you on the dress they bought on sale? I mean it would have cost more if it wasn`t on sale right!!!!!!I mean they didn`t need the dress or go lookin for one, but in order to save me money she had to buy it. How can you deal with that kinda thinkin? Ya can`t!!!!Perhaps you could give me a small explination on what go`s into selecting and mixing paint. What are quickies? Hardners? Glossies? What type of paint should i buy? Is one brand better that others? How much should i get to paint three fenders, and two tanks? I don`t know none of this stuff. If i was wealthy i`d send you my sheet metal!!!! But if you have time to explain this i would appreciate it. It would be good to know when i do contact a painter. So thanks in advance HK.
Say do you know if there is a web site for beginners on painting?
Slider in Wa.

#9 ·
Slider I don't know of any websites for beginers on painting, but I will be perfectly happy to exsplain to you all you need to know, and if your get really bored I can walk you through painting the sheetmetal yourself. A motorcycle is about one of the best things to start with due to size and the fact that most of it if one color won't be visable all the time so messups are easily concealed. If you can't find a painter let me know, shipping might be a beetch but I'd be happy to do it. Are you leaving the frame black, or painting it too?

For a job like this I recomend using PPG, its a very good paint, and its easily applied and mixed for firsties or pros. To get the effect your wife wants you'll need to use a 2 stage paint in preferably 3 stages. What this means is you need a base coat (white, or eggshell) and a top coat the clear. Like on the newer lincolns the offwhite mother of pearl is applied like this. Base coat, clear containing the pearl, then a secong coat of just pure clear. In your case you will be applying it like this, base coat first, then the pearls, then the pure clear. Mother of pearl is just a pearl that isn't refined to acsentuate certain colors, it contains equal amounts of all colors. A purple pearl is a pearl with the purple irrodesants acsentuated more. In short they are just filtering out what colors won't be reflected by light.

Selecting the type of paint from alkyde enamel. acrylic lacquer, acryic enamel, polyurethane, or Acrylic urethane enamel. Each of these paints when applies are more prone to, or resistent to certain things. Each of these paints are more durable thann the next, best being the acrylic urethane enamel and also being quite exspensive. Second best is polyurethane, it only downfall is no polishing. Those two paints are easiest to spray without polutants, best adhesion as well as resistance to gasoline with a good hardness.

Hardners, its a catalyst for the paint and top coat to harden faster, clearer, and also harder than without using ine. Harners enable a painter to get the job done faster and better, expecially if the paint booth/area is not heated to aid the paint and keep it from clouding.

Quickies are a one stage paint that you toss is the cup, add thinner/reducer and hardner and spray and let cure and drive the next day. Like a Maaco paint job. They look pretty good, but don't last as long as a 2 stage paint would.

Glossies, a real deep look in the paint due to candies or the apllication of multiple coats of clear with hand rubbing between to keep smooth.

Painting two tanks and three fenders you could get away with a pint of both clear and paint, might still have some left over for other parts to add a custom touch. If I can find the pearl I'll send it to you for free, but you'll still need to buy the mother of pearl. Buy the pearl in the bottle not by the ounce. you can buy an ounce for half of the bottle and two onces you can have a whole 7 ounce bottle. Buy the bottle, that way if you ever want to repaint you have it, or you could sell it by the ounce for half the price as the paintshop. If you want to paint it yourself let me know, I'll be happy to walk you through it, its easier then it looks/sounds. If I missed a question let me know.

HK

#11 ·
HK, Your the man!!! I think i might just try it myself. With Your knowedge you make it sound easy. I`ll keep in touch as i get closer to painting. Thank you .
The Name "SLIDER" as applies to me is an earned name. In the biker world, you are given a road name. As i have been down on my Harley not once but twice,($6400,00 damage the frist time) The brothers named me "Slider". I have run upon this nickname before so i started posting as Slider in Wa. I wonder how the other slider got his name?
Slider in Wa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.