Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - slight humming noise at idle and knocking? noise on slow acceleration
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ya i've tried driving it with all the belts off. still makes the sound. I think it has something to do with the tranny or flexplate. I know when i was moving the engine into my shed to rebuild it that it fell on the flex plate in the dirt though so it wasn't bad. So maybe it bent or cracked it and i didn't see it. I tried having my wife hold it at 1500 rpm (where i can hear the noise the most) in the driveway today and i can't track down the noise at all under the hood or on the bell housing of the tranny ( listening with mechanic stethiscope) although inside the truck i can hear the noise. So i'm thinking it may be something hitting the body somewhere that i'm not seeing. Because i know i had a noise like that once before and it was my fuel filter tapping on the evaporator box. sounded just like a knock inside, but couldn't hear it outside the truck. Anyway i'm starting to calm down a little thinking this isn't a big deal, the only thing that really bothers me is that i've had an engine once that would make a noise very similiar to this at about 3000 rpm highway speed. and it turned out to be piston slap.