Slot Cars - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Slot Cars

I'm sure there are a few here who can remember the "Tom Thumb" raceways from the '60's, along with the slot car craze at the same time.

History Channel just had a short piece on classic toys, and gave slots a nice, 10 min. piece on it.

I did the slots back when they first hit, like many. But in '93 a young neighbor reintroduced me to the sport again.

Jeez- how things had changed!!! The cars, chassis's, motors, tires, bodies- EVERYTHING- was different. And the tracks! Where before we put up w/tracks more akin to moto-X (except for the Thumb tracks- they were nice), than road racing- the new tracks were GREAT. Most were well over 100', most in the 125'-155' range, smooth, good even power supplies, and FAST.

By '94, I had managed to capture the FL International 15 class championship in a car of my own making- that's the draw for me, I-15 rules dictate hand-made chassis and hand assembled motors can be used, except no hand-wound arms.

An Open Class car will go around a multi-turn, 155' track in the 3 second range, w/a flying start.

Drag cars (55' track length) will get to 130 mph in 0.50 second.

Cobalt magnets, hand-wound arms, silver brushes, laser cut, spring steel chassis, foam rubber tires on magnesium wheels, vacuum formed bodies (o.015" thick, w/"air control" are just a few specs on the modern slots.

The Open, Group 27 and International 15 cars all make enough power and have enough air control to actually run upside down, if you were to loop a straightaway back on itself. Easily.

I have a bunch of Open, Gp 27 and I-15 cars, motors and parts here, somewhere. If I run across them, I'll post a couple pictures. You won't believe how small and light the Open motors are- opposite of IC engines, smaller is better.

Open arms are .459" up to .500 diameter, although there's no restrictions. The mags are a cobalt alloy, light and incredibly strong, but brittle- they will crack if a wreck is bad enough. And wreck they do!

In the image on the right, below, on the top row, center is a Cox Chaparral- an Icon of its era. All these cars are from the '60's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slots 001.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	38847   Click image for larger version

Name:	slots 002.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	38848  

Advertisement

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-19-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

More fun stuff I can't afford, time or money, but would love to do!
At one time in town, there was a slot car/ r.c. cars and trucks, all kinds of tracks, all under one roof, a rich Daddy had it built for his kids and friends, they did a pretty good business. Now there is a Moose lodge there..
they used to pack them in on weekends, all kinds of racing. It would be fun to see a revival of this.
Dan
Old 06-19-2009, 11:03 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cobalt you really are a speed demon, cangrats on that class winning car!

I purchased a 1/32 scale home set for the kids and I to try out a couple of years ago. Back when I was a youngster I must have had 5 or 6 sets through those years from about 68 through the early seventies. Endless hours of fun. Wish I would have held on to some of the COX and strombecker cars, some of the vintage NIB cars are now selling for over a G note! with many in the 3 to 5 hundred $ range. Any one who thinks they may have some of these sets and or cars tucked away some where should take a look, may be worth some good money or at least bring back some good memories when you dust them off. After we set up the track we got some scalextric NASCAR 1/32 cars, the kids really took a shine to the racing and we had alot of fun. I put together a permanent track surface of about 38 feet using some 2x2's and some old doors coverd with rubber shelf liner matting, built a 5 amp power supply and got some of the better parma hand controllers. We are up to about 40 cars including some collectible Ferrari's which we don't run. The detail and performance of these new cars is outstanding. Just about any type of car can be bought and there are numerous forms of upgrades available. Once I started checking things out on-line I was amazed at the popularity of this hobby. With the advent of the playstations/XBOX/WI etc it is nice to see my kids enjoying some old school good clean slot racing. No matter, these slot cars will always be an interesting hobby for me...Oh I mean the kids.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Speed demon for sure!! But thanks.

I would LOVE to get a track set up permanently! Have often kicked the idea around, but never actually put saw to board.

There's several commercial track builders around, one of them is in TX- his name is John Ford. I met him briefly at the '94 Nat's at the Airport Marriott in Atlanta (I was out of FL then). He also has a magazine I've contributed to in the past- Scale Auto Racing News (SARN for short).

If I could ever swing it, I'd have him do me a 100 ft Hillclimb or mini-King track, just for me and my buddies to race on.

I think it's great your kids have enjoyed slots, too! There's a lot to be gotten from it, IMO- from the basics of electronics and soldering, understanding gear ratios, power to weight, aerodynamics, hand to eye coordination and not the least of all- sportsmanship.

The 1:32 Scalextric- cars are GREAT looking, BTW. Some of the best "to scale" cars out there, IMHO. They're coming out w/a '70 Jim Hall Trans Am class Camaro- it looks WAY cool.

You did yourself a favor to go w/the Parma controllers. I used an external resistor 2 ohm controller that is based on the Parma Turbo for my I-15 racing, 1 ohm for Open and Gp 27, 3 ohm for everything else.

I still have beaucoup controllers (Parma regular-type, not Turbo). I believe most are 4 ohm, but you can get "economy" resistors from 15 to 35 ohm- so give me a shout if you need any, or any old parts. Gratis.(I hope I didn't just violate the classified rules )
Old 06-19-2009, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Slot brushes

I remember doing this in the sixties and how serious some of the guys were.I converted AMT kits and though slow sure brought alot of attention to my cars.Wonder where all those neat cars went?Thanx for the memories,I had forgotten about those times at the 180.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:21 PM
66 mustang

man that all takes me back to early 70s,had a nice cobra slot with a rewound 36d motor,quickest you could get at the time.We had 2 large tracks in town where you everyone raced.ah fond memories!!
russ
later gator
Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Yes cobalt you are right about what the young lad gained from messing around with the set. We worked on building the power supply and wiring the track. He has taken to the slot.it cars which are the quickest home set cars we have and he has built a MaCleran F1 from a kit. My girls are less involved but still manage to break a few cars now and again. As far as I know there are no routed wood track clubs in the entire province so for now we will make due with our sport track (scalextric).
Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I think I have some very old slot car stuff still around I think. probably a few cars and some track, but I don't know
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

You did yourself a favor to go w/the Parma controllers. I used an external resistor 2 ohm controller that is based on the Parma Turbo for my I-15 racing, 1 ohm for Open and Gp 27, 3 ohm for everything else.

I still have beaucoup controllers (Parma regular-type, not Turbo). I believe most are 4 ohm, but you can get "economy" resistors from 15 to 35 ohm- so give me a shout if you need any, or any old parts. Gratis.(I hope I didn't just violate the classified rules )[/QUOTE]

Yes the parma economy controllers are well suited to the home sets without spending too much they are far superior than the ones that came with the set. We use the 25 ohm, (60 ohm on the stock controllers). This gives much better control of the cars speed and gets away from the "on/off" characteristics of the 60 ohm controllers when running a medium magnet strength car. Thanks for the offer. Another big advantage is the home built power supply. We used a resistor pot to set up a variable voltage output from about 10 volts up to about 17. This allows me to set it lower when my buds have had a few too many, they tend to forget that some of these cars are costing me close to 75 bucks each by the time I pay for shipping. I am working on a lap timer next so we can get a better handle on who has the "king of the stick" title.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
I think I have some very old slot car stuff still around I think. probably a few cars and some track, but I don't know
Yes well take a look for them, any of the old COX models are highly desirable if they are in good shape. If they are run ragged and broken up then the value will not be there but at least you can cherish the old time sake factor.
cheers, terry
Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

We used to run Slot and HO back in the 60's. HO's were my favorite, my brother did the slots.

I'd remembered finding to this track in Abbeville SC while walking the town square a year or so ago.. Seeing your post I wanted to find it again. Did a google search, WOW! I didn't realize just how many tracks are still operating.
Still pretty popular it seems.

You can find anything on the web, this is the track in Abbeville.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ZdFqRMW5c
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho
I'd remembered finding to this track in Abbeville SC while walking the town square a year or so ago.. Seeing your post I wanted to find it again. Did a google search, WOW! I didn't realize just how many tracks are still operating.
Still pretty popular it seems.
About '93, a guy came into the hobby shop where I was working part time (The Hobby Box, Pine Hills, FL, most people call it Orlando). He was out of Surf Side, SC (maybe Surf City?) anyhow, they had a nice track and invited me up for the WE to do some racing. Had a blast.

I took my comm lathe w/me (never leave home w/o it!) and spent most of my time doing motors for the guys- once one saw how much quicker and smoother the motors were (16D Parma's), EVERYONE had to have one! Started (inadvertently) a kind of "arms war"!

But slot guys are just like hot rodders- willing to share and help- but competitive!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

We had a track I could walk to in less than a minute, from our house in Omaha. I spent hours there after my paper routes were done. This thread brings back very fond memories.

Thanks Cobalt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.