Slow shifts 03 Chevy S10 ZR2 4x4 4.3L 4l60e 139k mi - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 PM
old dog learning new tricks

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
First thing I would do is hook up a scanner. Check two specific things: 1) trans temp, and 2) MLP... the shifter position switch.

In the internal wiring harness is a temp sensor. Sometimes you'll pull up the data on a scanner and it says -40 degrees. If its reading something that is nonsense, it needs to be replaced.

The MLP is a relatively common failure. If the ECM doesn't know what gear you've selected, its flying blind.

If both of those check out fine, pull the pan and tell us what kind of debris is in there.

... and I will assume that the speedo is working? Same thing happens with the speedo sensor as the MLP - the ECM doesn't have the proper information to make shift commands.
Okay, I got the issue resolved with the software provider and will finalize the purchase tommorrow, but I'll have to wait a couple of days for shipping (I can receive the software electronically, but I'm going to need a different interface cable than the one I have for my TA, and that will come Fed Ex).
The software includes a fully funtional scanner so I'll be able to provide any information we need.

Yes the speedometer is working.

Thanks curtis73!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmith10
with what youre explaining here, the first thing id do is hook up a pressure gauge to see if the trans is getting line rise (pressure should go up when stepping on the gas).
also, id check it for codes with a scan tool and not just a code reader. something that will also pull stored codes.
depending on the answers to these questions will tell whether its worth it or not to go on with any service and/or repairs to the trans.
Sorry for the delay posting back. I had some higher priority issues to deal with like thrown rod ect.
The pressure is ~60 psi at idle in park and jumps to ~90 psi at idle in reverse. It drops back to ~60psi at idle in drive and increases as the throttle is increased. When driving at speed the pressure increases with throttle increase and is highest at lower RPM's during acceleration. The highest pressure I observed was ~120 psi.
With my scanner set to transmission mode, current MIL's are: P0420 and P0128.
History MIL's in transmission mode are: P0420, P0128, C0222, B0036, U1016, U1041, U1096, and U1064. (Other than P0420 and P0128, those codes are Supplemental Inflatable Restraint.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
First thing I would do is hook up a scanner. Check two specific things: 1) trans temp, and 2) MLP... the shifter position switch.

In the internal wiring harness is a temp sensor. Sometimes you'll pull up the data on a scanner and it says -40 degrees. If its reading something that is nonsense, it needs to be replaced.

The MLP is a relatively common failure. If the ECM doesn't know what gear you've selected, its flying blind.

If both of those check out fine, pull the pan and tell us what kind of debris is in there.

... and I will assume that the speedo is working? Same thing happens with the speedo sensor as the MLP - the ECM doesn't have the proper information to make shift commands.
According to my scanner the transmission temp sensor is working. On one occasion after a 5 mile 55 MPH drive, the temp was ~180 degrees farenheit.
The scanner displays the correct gear when shifting 1-4. When stopped it displays 1 no matter what position the shifter is in (meaning that the scanner is diplaying the actual gear the transmission is in rather than what position the gear selector lever is in.)
I pulled the pan to change the filter and found absolutely no debris such as metal or friction material in it, although a filter change may have been done recently. If so it wasn't real recent because there was some build-up of dirt, road grime ect on the pan bolt heads.
Yes the speedometer is working fine.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 AM

I've got some problems posting scan results that I haven't figured out yet but here are some screen shots of some of the MIL info.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 96 ws6
Sorry for the delay posting back. I had some higher priority issues to deal with like thrown rod ect.
The pressure is ~60 psi at idle in park and jumps to ~90 psi at idle in reverse. It drops back to ~60psi at idle in drive and increases as the throttle is increased. When driving at speed the pressure increases with throttle increase and is highest at lower RPM's during acceleration. The highest pressure I observed was ~120 psi.
With my scanner set to transmission mode, current MIL's are: P0420 and P0128.
History MIL's in transmission mode are: P0420, P0128, C0222, B0036, U1016, U1041, U1096, and U1064. (Other than P0420 and P0128, those codes are Supplemental Inflatable Restraint.

line pressure is a bit low from what i see. this could explain your shift issue.
from here, i would turn up the epc maybe the 1/8th turn max i mentioned before, or get a new epc.
you should see about 75 lbs in drive at idle.
if you decide to replace it, i recommend a borg warner replacement

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.