sluggish 427 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
First On Race Day

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sluggish 427

iv got a 1968 427 ford in a 1984 ford pickup and i got a problem my 427 is very sluggish off the line and i dont know why could it be over filled tranny or somthin else i need to put ponies in it and im on a tight budget what can i do

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I can't imagine how that engine could
be sluggish, they have over 450 lb ft of
torque & somewhere around 400hp, is your
trans slipping? now that I think about it, that
engine had a fairly high CR, I think it's over 11to1
is the engine running OK? are you getting any
pining? have you checked the timing? the points?
plugs, & wires? Someone may have retarded the
timing to compensate for the poor gas.
Rich
Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427feracer

iv got a 1968 427 ford in a 1984 ford pickup and i got a problem my 427 is very sluggish off the line and i dont know why could it be over filled tranny or somthin else i need to put ponies in it and im on a tight budget what can i do
The 1968 production 427 (390HP) was a detuned hydraulic engine. It only saw installation in the 1968 COUGAR GT-E and it was discontinued with the introduction of the 428CJ.

You need to check basic engine tune.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Kultulz,

In 68 the W engine was an option for
a lot of fords, comet, fairlane, & so on,
it was a dealer install option & Holman Moody
was an outlet for the W. eng. NASCAR racer

Rice-Holman for Drag racing

both co's had very fast fords
Rich
Old 01-11-2008, 05:46 PM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd

Hi Kultulz,

In 68 the W engine was an option for
a lot of fords, comet, fairlane, & so on,
it was a dealer install option & Holman Moody
was an outlet for the W. eng. NASCAR racer.
Hey Richard!

There is no documented evidence that anything but the GT-E received the engine. Simply put, it was expensive to make and it was a dog.

I don't see why HM would be involved with that engine. It was a stop gap measure until FORD finally got its' act together with the 428CJ. Now they may have been involved in the race 427's, the MR, Tunnel Port and NASCAR 427.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

The Ford 427 was by no means a dog. The detuned W code engine wasn't great but wasn't that bad either. Ford didn't want to put ultra high performance cars in the hands of the general public. It was discontinued because of the expense.

The Cobra Jet 428 was also an FE engine that used 427 low riser heads. It was actually a detuned engine that performed very well. With a set of medium riser heads it would have performed much better.

It was an FE 427 that won LEMANS.

The 427 FE SOHC engine was outlawed by NASCAR before it was ran in an actual race because NASCAR knew that there wasn't anything out there that could touch it.

I did an edit to add this. Are you 100% sure that it's a 427?

Danny
Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampr

The Ford 427 was by no means a dog. The detuned W code engine wasn't great but wasn't that bad either. Ford didn't want to put ultra high performance cars in the hands of the general public. It was discontinued because of the expense.
The 1968 FE 427 390HP W-CODE was a dog as were the S-CODE 390'S that came before them.

The 1968 FE 427 390HP W-CODE was not a regular 427 but received a new block to allow hydraulic lifters. It was detuned as was every other 427 offered for street duty.

FORD had two versions of 427's, race and street. If you wanted HI-PO. you bought the pieces over the counter. CHEV and MOPAR offered race engines for the street, FORD did not.

FORD only came to its' senses after reviewing the TASCA MUSTANG that TASCA built. That was the basis of the 428CJ.

FORD ruled the racing world but not the street. I was there, I saw it, I took schit for it and I learned from it. If you wanted a fast FORD, you had to build it.

PERIOD! UNQUOTE!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 PM
540ci ford want sum?

ok now this gets me going,i have a 67 r model galaxie,i.e. 427 2*4 carbs and it is by no means a dog and it has the med rise heads i have the o.e tunnel ports but i swapped them out for fuel economy and also ford did install some 427s in other cars after 67 but they were classed as 428's and th w-code every one is talking about i have only heard of it in the cougar i could be wrong but not normally, also as for the orig post the sluggish drag truck,sounds like an igniton/timeing issue or a loss in compression or a transclutch pack or band that is bad
Old 01-12-2008, 03:22 PM
540ci ford want sum?

well for just for every one the ford f.e series engines are all basiclly the same
352,390,427,428 are all the same basically with the excption of the 427sohc with is its own breed i know i have done work on a sohc motor(rebuilt the carbs)and well it is impressive espically with the exaust open
Old 01-12-2008, 03:27 PM

Wow, just think what Shelby COULD have accomplished if he hadn't put that "dog" motor in his Cobras!

One of my High School 'dream' cars was a '40 Coupe with a dual-quad 427 to combat a friends '37 Chevy Coupe with 427\435 HP Tri-power.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
The 1968 FE 427 390HP W-CODE was a dog as were the S-CODE 390'S that came before them.

The 1968 FE 427 390HP W-CODE was not a regular 427 but received a new block to allow hydraulic lifters. It was detuned as was every other 427 offered for street duty.

FORD had two versions of 427's, race and street. If you wanted HI-PO. you bought the pieces over the counter. CHEV and MOPAR offered race engines for the street, FORD did not.

FORD only came to its' senses after reviewing the TASCA MUSTANG that TASCA built. That was the basis of the 428CJ.

FORD ruled the racing world but not the street. I was there, I saw it, I took schit for it and I learned from it. If you wanted a fast FORD, you had to build it.

PERIOD! UNQUOTE!
Wow, somebody's kinda touchy here. Nobody said anything about a 390 S code being all that great even though the Cobra Jet had the same cam. With the right parts even the CJ was a lot better. That is one of the reasons I consider it detuned.

Did you do an edit on your post because I could swear that your original statement said the the 427 was a dog and not just the W.

If you're going to get upset it's not worth discussing. I'm out.

Danny

Last edited by Kampr; 01-12-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:26 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampr

Wow, somebody's kinda touchy here.

Did you do an edit on your post because I could swear that your original statement said the the 427 was a dog and not just the W.

If you're going to get upset it's not worth discussing. I'm out.

Danny
I don't remember getting upset. I am only trying to convey one reason FORD has the reputation it does, CHEV, MOPAR and AMC put cars on the street that would run. FORD did not. The W-Code 427 was not a true 427, but a detuned version meant for street duty. I was there and I lived with the embarrassment(s).

As for editing a post, there will always be a notation at the bottom saying the post has been edited.

The 427MR R-Code that was put into the 66/67 FAIRLANE was a thumper. It was not a true 427 in the sense of a race motor but was serious enough to be a pain on the street. That and cost is why you never saw that many.

If you do not want to enter a discussion, why do you feel that anything you post is to be accepted as gospel?

The truth of the matter is (and GOD knows that I am a true FORD FREAK) is that FORD ruled the race tracks but did not follow up on the street. That hurt them. That is why they have the reputation they do among enthusiasts. Not until the 428CJ did FORD get serious about performance on the street.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I read all the posts, and nobody asked...so I will. What makes you think it's a 427??? I suspect you have either a 429 or 428, both are NOT a 427. I'd have to see some pics for verification. All 3 of those engines have different solutions for similar problems and knowing the correct engine is a necessity.
Once again,What makes you think it is a 427?? A casting # or verified crossbolts or something like that would be helpful.
I do agree with Gary, the W was a turkey with very few even produced. When the 428CJ was introduced , it may as well been a 390 2bbl.

Sorry, I see that someone DID ask if you were sure that it is a 427...I'm a skeptic
Old 01-13-2008, 04:44 PM
First On Race Day

Last photo:

is this the Casting Number of a 427

The reason I think my motor is a 427 is because the only casting number that i could get was C8AE-H. And that is the casting number from the heads.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427feracer
The reason I think my motor is a 427 is because the only casting number that i could get was C8AE-H. And that is the casting number from the heads.
Those are just run of the mill 352-390 heads, nothing special there, I had those heads on my 67 F250 with a 352.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.