SM 465 - Bad Noises - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 06:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SM 465 - Bad Noises

I recently rebuilt the engine, transmission, and transfer case on my 78 chevy K20. It's been finished and running well for the last 4 days. Today the transmission started making a new and horrible whining sound. In top gear under cruise with no load it sometimes has a high pitch whine. It goes away under load. I'm used to the regular whines of this tranny, but this is disturbing because it is a lot louder than any whines before. It sounds like "doing damage loud". It is intermittant and maybe happens more when the transmission is cold. Like I said, it just started happening today.

This was the first transmission I've rebuilt; but I think I did a decent job and I didn't find it too difficult. I mostly just replaced the bearings and seals. What would cause this whining noise to appear after a few days of driving (probably a couple hundred miles)? If a bearing is failing is there any way to find out which one without tearing the whole thing apart? Any chance that it could be an oil issue? Would synthetic help any? It was filled with oil and there are no noticeable leaks so I'm assuming it's still full. I will check asap.

Any help is appreciated,
dh

Advertisement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It's possible that you could have a pinion bearing noise too. Gonna take some checking to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 PM

SM 465-Bad Noises

I would guess differential also. Here is a trick I've used in the past.

Take a small tape recorder,using duct tape,mount it to the driveline component,where you think the noise is coming from.

Go for a short drive,then mount it on another driveline component,go for a ride.

This should help you dial in the noise. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies. It's very definitely coming from the transmission or transfer case. The truck doesn't have any sound insulation so all noises come through clear as a bell and it's easy to tell where they're coming from. I'm used to the normal transmission sounds, the new noise is just a lot louder than I'm used to. I think it would actually be best described as a screeching or squealing.

Today I determined that it only happens when the transmission is cold. After driving for a couple minutes it won't happen. I also checked the oil level and it is a bit below the fill plug on both the tranny and transfercase. I bought some lucas oil stabilizer and I'll put it in tonight. Hopefully it'll help. I'll update if anything changes,
thanks again,
dh
Old 12-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Maybe the throwout bearing is squeeling? Adjust a tad too tight?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:49 AM

Last photo:

Here's an update. I thought I had it figured out, but now I'm worried again.

It was only happening when the transmission was cold and in high gear, ok, no problem. I let it warm up before I went into high gear. That seemed to be ok and I didn't hear "the sound" for a few days. Then today it came back. I was on the freeway cruising at about 60 mph. The transmission was good and warm (I figure) because I was driving for about 30 minutes before getting on the freeway. After about 5 minutes on the freeway the noise starts. I've noticed there is a quiet clunk sound when the screeching starts. Then there is the same clunk when it stops. When it's making the sound I can sometimes get it to stop by letting off the gas. Then when I get back into it the sound comes back. I was in traffic today and couldn't do much accelerating/decelerating to try to get rid of the sound. After squeeling for about 30 seconds it started to make bad clunking sounds and make the truck stumble. It felt like an engine miss but it wasn't the engine. The transmission was catching up and making my truck kick and stumble. This happened for about 30 seconds and then it went away and was fine. I've since driven it about 50 miles today with no problems. I figure the screeching was a bearing heating up and the kicking was it grabbing. Does that sound plausible? Does anybody think this could be something else? What would screech so bad then go away? I was planning on putting synthetic oil in it but now I don't know. Maybe I'll try it anyway.
thanks for any help,
dh
Old 12-17-2006, 12:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Maybe the throwout bearing is squeeling? Adjust a tad too tight?
Would this happen in only high gear? It seems to be gear (or output shaft speed) dependant.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.