SM465 - Is it worth using? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Last journal entry: Bell Crank Fix
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

SM465 - Is it worth using?

I've got the opportunity to buy a SM465 tranny rebuilt about 15k mi ago for $100. I'm building a 350 for my truck and I plan on about 350-400hp, 4.11 gears, and 31x10.5R15 tires. My question is, is the SM465 a good tranny. I don't know a whole lot about which tranny's work for which applications. I will be using this truck primarily for street driving. It will be my daily driver. I'll use it offroad a bit for hunting, etc, but nothing extreme. I've been directed toward a T-5, but I can't ever seem to find them. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

klutchmaster427 ... the use of " profanity" in the forums is not allowed. Especially when used in a thread title is not allowed per the guidelines of Hotrodders.com
Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Sorry....I should've restrained myself. I appreciate the heads up and I'll watch my mouth
Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

The SM465 is one of the most bullet proof transmissions ever built by GM. The only part that ever seems to sell is the front bearing retainer. When I get them as cores I save the bearing retainer and throw the rest in the scrap. No point in storing anything that will never sell.

Biggest drawback is the weight. They are heavy.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

So aside from the weight it'd be a good tranny option then? Is there enough weight that it will really make a difference in my power? my truck is already over 5000 lbs afterall.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutchmaster427
So aside from the weight it'd be a good tranny option then? Is there enough weight that it will really make a difference in my power? my truck is already over 5000 lbs afterall.
It depends on what you want. The 465 is really a three speed with an additional very low granny gear. If you are not hauling anything heavy, that low gear will about get you to the other side of the crosswalk. After that, it's just a three speed with 1:1 top gear. The T5 won't survive in your application. It was marginal in the lightweight Camaro and Mustang. If you want a five speed, consider the NV4500 used in the later model Chevy trucks.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

First gear in the 465 is 6.55 to 1, I'm swapping one into my 1988 Suburban right now, just having problems with getting to work on it outside right now with all the rain we've been having lately.

I've run the 465 in both 2WD and 4WD trucks, never had a problem except the sloppy shifter, which I just fixed in my current transmission by turning down a bronze bushing to press fit into the shift handle and then pressing the shift-rod end into the bushing/sleeve.

I was considering swapping a 4WD trans and transfer case into the 2WD Suburban, but driveshafts I have laying around will allow a 2WD trans to fit in without ANY cost to me for the swap. I have had more than 35 Chevy/GMC trucks from 73-88 over the years, and have all the parts laying around to swap it to whatever I want it to have.

One of these swaps I am going to upgrade to a hydraulic clutch and not have to drill the frame for the bracket for the Z-bar.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.