Small air holes in filler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Small air holes in filler

I have followed advice given here and by the manufacturer about how to mix my body filler, in this case, Evercoat Rage, and have a few very small air hole pops, +/- 1/32, in it. While I can put some "Icing" on/in these pops, my guess is that the heavy body Everfil polyester primer should fill them. Or, I can put down some SPI epoxy or SPI 2K then poly prime. Need some opinions by the experts .

Dave

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 02:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

if you try to fill a hole with paint it will shrink. primer can really only take out a 80 grit sand scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

I quit using Rage just for that reason. It's too thick to spread. You can stir in a little fiberglass resin to thin it to make it spread easier.
Bob
Old 04-30-2007, 03:24 PM

try this!

i use rage,and it does what you say,but i sand it with 80 and use a blower to get the holes open in doing this all is exposed.then mix up another batch very well with a little more hardener just say 2%,and put over the area in question,and sand with da,-180 then finer, and you should be fine for you primer.............(bourne51).........
Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

After shapeing is done a final skim coat of thinned filler or Icing is the fix for pinholes..
Heres an oldie but a goodie -> http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=936
Old 04-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
After shapeing is done a final skim coat of thinned filler or Icing is the fix for pinholes..
Heres an oldie but a goodie -> http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=936
Good thread - so far I'm right on track with what your thread says and will be doing the final skim with icing and guide coating prior to primer in the morning. What I am doing is a trunk panel - see my AVATAR - that almost looks like it was assembled with a ball pein hammer by Brookville. This is what I started with - the dark areas are after removing their primer with 60 on my long board.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunklgbd 1..jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	20858  
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

Dave, I use the Rage Extreme, it is smoother and spreads easier and thinner with less pinholes. Regular Rage and Rage gold also works well but they are thicker and more prone to pinholing. Use the polyester putty/ployester glaze/ icing to finish off. Next use the polyester primer for the final shaping and finish with your SPI 2K then paint. As an option you can also seal the surface with the epoxy before applying paint-provides a good solvent barrier for better gloss retention and also more adhesion for the paint.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Dave, I use the Rage Extreme, it is smoother and spreads easier and thinner with less pinholes. Regular Rage and Rage gold also works well but they are thicker and more prone to pinholing. Use the polyester putty/ployester glaze/ icing to finish off. Next use the polyester primer for the final shaping and finish with your SPI 2K then paint. As an option you can also seal the surface with the epoxy before applying paint-provides a good solvent barrier for better gloss retention and also more adhesion for the paint.
Bob
Interesting that Rage Gold is thicker then the Extreme. This stuff that I have seems quite thin - especially after using Duraglass which has the consistancy of my favorite oatmeal cookie dough.

I'll top off my final prepared body with epoxy - gotta check my supplies. Baker PBE and I almost seem to be on first name basis - as well as BarryK. I've been well indoctrinated by you folks as I'm using SPI epoxy, 2K and Universal CC tho DuPont ChromaBase BC.

Dave

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.