Small Animals and Children Ran for Cover! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 09:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Small Animals and Children Ran for Cover!

We fired the Mighty 440 Mopar yesterday afternoon.

Pushed the Killer Tomato Dart half way out the shop door, flipped the BG 400 to life, gave it a 1/2 turn on both Idle screws of the 995 King Demon RS, pumped it about 4 times and hit the crank.

Bang poof sputter...couple of more pumps to fill'er up with 110...crank pop crank VAROOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!

She lit off and popped the tach to 4K before Allen could get his foot off the loud peddle. She dropped back down to about 1800 and rattled every window within 4 city blocks....small animals ran for cover, children were crying in fear of the Mighty Mopar.

Had the timing manually stabbed at 34* , bumped it to 36* moved the idle to 1500, a couple tweeks on the 4 corner bleeds and she sat there and hammered on every cylinder. 80# oil pressure, EGT at 1270*....how sweet does it get!!!....700+ HP pounding out a Rock and Roll, Open Header, Mopar Tune on a sunny, warm, Oregon afternoon.

She came up to 180* and I let the King Demon open up and feed in a touch of fuel....about 5K on the RPM clock before I could let go of the linkage....cleared the driveway for about 50', dust, leaves, beer cans and the gathered crowd of bystanders.

We shut her down and "The crowd went wild......" we did a Happy Dance.

Next Sunday we'll take her down to the track and see if she'll crank off a 9.40-9.50 pass for us.....I'll keep you posted.

Got to run for today, I'm pulling the Rat Killer Cuda out of the winter barn today and we'll see if we can get the 318 to light off and scare some more small animals and children.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

You don't sound the least bit excited.

Congrats on your latest build.

ENJOY!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Sounds like fun! I would just say that EGT is a bit high for idle or no load. Does not hurt too much, but might melt everything in site. My turbo engine melted all the wire loom close to the headers on breakin due to high EGT, like yours. Once I got the timing stabbed it was good.

I hung around a friends house once when they fired off and broke in a 1200HP 630ish cid Ford with two 1050 doms. and a sheet metal intake. It would jump to 6k with the blip of the throttle. You want to talk about making kids and small animals run......I ran when this thing busted off. It took me a minute to go back in the shop. The noise was simply amazing.

Chris
Old 03-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Sounds like rip roarin fun! NOthing like startin up a big engine with open headers and lettin those ponies loose Around here I don't have many people to listen to the engine start ups lol. Last time I did that it was just me dad and a few friends. Though my cat found the quick way out lol. Try and get some pictures of the engine.

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.