Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Small base circle cam or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10 View Post
Stock 5.7 rods in a 400 should hit the cam and block. Also the 400 crank will required lots of work to fit the 5.7 rods (cutting and balancing).

You can buy "stroker 5.7 rods" which are already clearanced.

Since you are building a street engine, consider using stock 400 rods. Avoids lots of pit falls and cost.

No need for a split duration cam with afr heads. Intake and exhaust duration should be the same with those heads. If you don't use headers or have a restrictive exhaust system then the extra exhaust duration will be good.

I would use a cam with 230 degrees duration at 0.050" on both the intake and exhaust, 110 LSA, headers, dual 2-1/2 or 3", and setup the engine with 10:1 cr. Should make close to 500 hp with any rod.
What do you think about this one?
Howards 112591-12S
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,800-6,000 Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 231 Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241 Duration at 050 inch Lift: 231 int./241 exh. Advertised Intake Duration: 285 Advertised Exhaust Duration: 295 Advertised Duration: 285 int./295 exh. Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.470 in. Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.470 in. Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.470 int./0.470 exh. Lobe Separation (degrees): 112.

I know! That's not as durable/long life as a roller one but, i do less than 2k miles per year so... It doesn't matter to me and is less expensive. Also, is a small base circle with over 230 duration, the torque/hps broad range at 6000 max rpm performance range desired with 112 lsa. A plus for my power brake.

I saw that setup on 383 at car craft with Canfield 195cc Heads so, with AFR, it shouldn't be worst performant? I know! It's a split patern duration. I don't already have the AFR heads so, if it's gonna be a problem, i'll buy an other kind like the Brodix IK 200 with less flow numbers.Oh! It's hard to be setted. I really need the american knowledge like all of you. I believe in you!

Big Torque 383 Build - Car Craft Magazine

Euhm! It seems approaching what i want like performance.

P.S. As you can see, my english is not as good as yours. You know, as i said before, we speak french in my province of Quebec so...