Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Small base circle cam or not? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/small-base-circle-cam-not-230435.html)

Coolrider 03-07-2013 08:46 PM

Small base circle cam or not?
 
Hi! Every body...

As i said before, i'm on a 406 sbc project. I don't know if i need or not a small base circle cam. My interest is on the Hydraulic Roller Voodoo Retro-Fit Lunati 20120711K (60111). It seems to have what i want. Great acceleration, torque and throttle response to have fun stop light to stop light.

Cam specs:
-RPM Range: 1800 - 6000
-Lift: .515"/.530"
-Duration @ .050": 219/227
-Advertised Duration: 270/278
-112/106: 112/106

My car specs:
-406 sbc (approx. 10:1 cr with 75 cc, AFR 195 and 7 flat top)
-auto. transmission 2500 tci stall.
-5.7 con. rod
-3.75 stroke
-373 rear end

My question: Do i need or not a small base circle cam? If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks!!!

Coolrider 03-07-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolrider (Post 1654588)
Hi! Every body...

As i said before, i'm on a 406 sbc project. I don't know if i need or not a small base circle cam. My interest is on the Hydraulic Roller Voodoo Retro-Fit Lunati 20120711K (60111). It seems to have what i want. Great acceleration, torque and throttle response to have fun stop light to stop light.

Cam specs:
-RPM Range: 1800 - 6000
-Lift: .515"/.530"
-Duration @ .050": 219/227
-Advertised Duration: 270/278
-112/106: 112/106

My car specs:
-406 sbc (approx. 10:1 cr with 75 cc, AFR 195 and 7 flat top)
-auto. transmission 2500 tci stall.
-5.7 con. rod
-3.75 stroke
-373 rear end

My question: Do i need or not a small base circle cam? If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks!!!

I've forgot to say that my 400 block is a factory 72-78 GM and the rods are the following:25700P
These Scat I-beam connecting rods incorporate all of the best features possible for an I-beam rod, including some strength adders found in H-beam designs. Scat Pro Comp I-beam connecting rods are profiled with clearance for long stroke applications. These connecting rods feature a one-rib cap design for added strength and bearing support, and special hollow dowels with ARP cap screw bolts to greatly increase strength and horsepower capabilities.

vinniekq2 03-07-2013 09:57 PM

I would first
1) use a bigger cam
2)not use a split duration cam with AFR heads
the reduced base circle cam is the same price,so use one if you are worried

prumora1 03-08-2013 02:41 AM

I would have to think with a stock stroke it would be no, plus if its a retro-fit cam it would already be set for what you need

454C10 03-08-2013 04:47 AM

Stock 5.7 rods in a 400 should hit the cam and block. Also the 400 crank will required lots of work to fit the 5.7 rods (cutting and balancing).

You can buy "stroker 5.7 rods" which are already clearanced.

Since you are building a street engine, consider using stock 400 rods. Avoids lots of pit falls and cost.

No need for a split duration cam with afr heads. Intake and exhaust duration should be the same with those heads. If you don't use headers or have a restrictive exhaust system then the extra exhaust duration will be good.

I would use a cam with 230 degrees duration at 0.050" on both the intake and exhaust, 110 LSA, headers, dual 2-1/2 or 3", and setup the engine with 10:1 cr. Should make close to 500 hp with any rod.

Coolrider 03-08-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1654612)
I would first
1) use a bigger cam
2)not use a split duration cam with AFR heads
the reduced base circle cam is the same price,so use one if you are worried

I know! I did read somewhere on many forums discussions that the afr 195 flow enough to go with single patern and that a 400+ sbc should be at least with 225. That's why my the other choice was the Howard's 110885-10 but, most part told it opted for the lunati for many street use reasons and Lunati suggested this to 383-400. The 110 lsa will probably not produce vacuum enough for my power brake so, i would install a Vacuum Canister.

Howard's 110885-10 specs:
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,000-5,800 Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 225 Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 225 Duration at 050 inch Lift: 225 int./225 exh. Advertised Intake Duration: 278 Advertised Exhaust Duration: 278 Advertised Duration: 278 int./278 exh. Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.525 in. Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.525 in. Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.525 int./0.525 exh. Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
Camshaft Manufacturers Description: Fair idle, street high performance. 2,200+ stall, aftermarket intake and headers recommended.

I wrote to Howards Cams Online Support‏ and they suggested me the small base circle version of that cam part #119995-S but, i can't find it anywhere.

Coolrider 03-08-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prumora1 (Post 1654627)
I would have to think with a stock stroke it would be no, plus if its a retro-fit cam it would already be set for what you need

So, you think that it would not affect the performance with notable difference?

Coolrider 03-08-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 454C10 (Post 1654635)
Stock 5.7 rods in a 400 should hit the cam and block. Also the 400 crank will required lots of work to fit the 5.7 rods (cutting and balancing).

You can buy "stroker 5.7 rods" which are already clearanced.

Since you are building a street engine, consider using stock 400 rods. Avoids lots of pit falls and cost.

No need for a split duration cam with afr heads. Intake and exhaust duration should be the same with those heads. If you don't use headers or have a restrictive exhaust system then the extra exhaust duration will be good.

I would use a cam with 230 degrees duration at 0.050" on both the intake and exhaust, 110 LSA, headers, dual 2-1/2 or 3", and setup the engine with 10:1 cr. Should make close to 500 hp with any rod.

As writted, i've chosen the scat part# 25700P because, they say this one with clearance for long stroke applications so, i tought that it would be OK? . I still have the stock ones but, how many hps they can tolerate? So, you think that with at least 230 duration, i should not get clearance problems with any con. rods? Interesting! I have 1 5/8 headres and dual 2 1/2 flowmaster 44 series.

Thanks!

Coolrider 03-08-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 454C10 (Post 1654635)
Stock 5.7 rods in a 400 should hit the cam and block. Also the 400 crank will required lots of work to fit the 5.7 rods (cutting and balancing).

You can buy "stroker 5.7 rods" which are already clearanced.

Since you are building a street engine, consider using stock 400 rods. Avoids lots of pit falls and cost.

No need for a split duration cam with afr heads. Intake and exhaust duration should be the same with those heads. If you don't use headers or have a restrictive exhaust system then the extra exhaust duration will be good.

I would use a cam with 230 degrees duration at 0.050" on both the intake and exhaust, 110 LSA, headers, dual 2-1/2 or 3", and setup the engine with 10:1 cr. Should make close to 500 hp with any rod.

What do you think about this one?
Howards 112591-12S
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,800-6,000 Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 231 Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241 Duration at 050 inch Lift: 231 int./241 exh. Advertised Intake Duration: 285 Advertised Exhaust Duration: 295 Advertised Duration: 285 int./295 exh. Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.470 in. Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.470 in. Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.470 int./0.470 exh. Lobe Separation (degrees): 112.

I know! That's not as durable/long life as a roller one but, i do less than 2k miles per year so... It doesn't matter to me and is less expensive. Also, is a small base circle with over 230 duration, the torque/hps broad range at 6000 max rpm performance range desired with 112 lsa. A plus for my power brake.

I saw that setup on 383 at car craft with Canfield 195cc Heads so, with AFR, it shouldn't be worst performant? I know! It's a split patern duration. I don't already have the AFR heads so, if it's gonna be a problem, i'll buy an other kind like the Brodix IK 200 with less flow numbers.Oh! It's hard to be setted. :confused: I really need the american knowledge like all of you. I believe in you! :D

Big Torque 383 Build - Car Craft Magazine

Euhm! It seems approaching what i want like performance.

P.S. As you can see, my english is not as good as yours. You know, as i said before, we speak french in my province of Quebec so...

joe_padavano 03-08-2013 08:46 AM

To answer the original question, the base circle is irrelevant. Get the cam with the specs that you need for your engine combination.

Lobe lift is the difference between the lobe peak and the base circle. Lobe peak is limited by the diameter of the cam bearing journals (the lobe needs to pass through the cam bearings when installed in the block). If you need more lobe lift than you can get by increasing the lobe peak, the only alternative is to go to a smaller base circle to increase the difference between the two.

The only downside to a reduced base circle cam is that you may need longer pushrods to compensate.

vinniekq2 03-08-2013 09:50 AM

If you can squeeze the bank account,the roller cam is a much better choice,more power,better idle.
Before you buy the cam,you need the heads.
heads first,then match cam/intake/carb/headers.
The short block needs the CR matched and rods to fit.If you get a roller(highly recommended) then get a small base circle
what are the power figures that you want and what RPM range are you hoping to operate this engine?

Coolrider 03-08-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1654709)
If you can squeeze the bank account,the roller cam is a much better choice,more power,better idle.
Before you buy the cam,you need the heads.
heads first,then match cam/intake/carb/headers.
The short block needs the CR matched and rods to fit.If you get a roller(highly recommended) then get a small base circle
what are the power figures that you want and what RPM range are you hoping to operate this engine?

Oh boy!

I know that... There's several points to consider in a setup. What i want is exactly the result obtained with the Lunati (60111) 20120711 1800-6000 with great acceleration stop light to stop light and that's the one i wanted but... Is not a small base circle and i still don't know if it could work with my factory 400 GM block??? (Does it work? I don't know?) Some says not enough duration, is not a single patern so, not a good idea with AFR 195 etc. etc. To be certain, in my confusion, I am going to reproduce the 406 Impersonator and i'll use 1.6 rockers at the intake. If it worked one time, it should once again?

Chevrolet 406 CI Engine Build - Chevy High Performance

Howard's suggested me the small base roller #119995-S but, i can't find it anywhere. It has almost the same specs than the 110885-10

F-BIRD'88 03-08-2013 01:05 PM

Regardless of what people tell and or whether you use a small base circle cam in it or not..,, you you still need to check the cam lobe to rod clearance in your motor.
It is up to you to do that.

With a 2500 stall and a 400SBC get a solid street roller with 238 to 244 duration @.050"
EG: Comp cams XR280R-10 or the equal Lunati solid roller Voodoo cam. EG: #60131, #60132

any all these cams are available in a small base circle camshaft version. ALL you need to do is call them.
All these cams are available in single pattern version and on any LSA. All you got to do is CALL THEM.

Yes these work with power brakes.

And you must check the cam lobe to rod clearance anyway.

If you are going to get a roller cam get a real roller cam. Not a sissy-man cam.
Lunati street roller cam #501B1LUN is another really good one for your 406 with the 2500 stall.

vinniekq2 03-08-2013 01:20 PM

read the article
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolrider (Post 1654784)
Oh boy!

I know that... There's several points to consider in a setup. What i want is exactly the result obtained with the Lunati (60111) 20120711 1800-6000 with great acceleration stop light to stop light and that's the one i wanted but... Is not a small base circle and i still don't know if it could work with my factory 400 GM block??? (Does it work? I don't know?) Some says not enough duration, is not a single patern so, not a good idea with AFR 195 etc. etc. To be certain, in my confusion, I am going to reproduce the 406 Impersonator and i'll use 1.6 rockers at the intake. If it worked one time, it should once again?

Chevrolet 406 CI Engine Build - Chevy High Performance

first thing
Howard's suggested me the small base roller #119995-S but, i can't find it anywhere. It has almost the same specs than the 110885-10

first thing I see in these magazine builds,especially with flat tappet cams(hydraulic) the sweet spot in the RPM range is 41-5600 rpm.
the roller cam engines usually have a wider spread in the sweet spot,closer to 2k,that type of engine is more than noticably better to drive. A lot of flat tappet hydraulic cams peak,then roll off in power very quickly.
Im not saying you have to rev to 6500 rpm,but once you feel that power you will at least understand why roller cams exist.
all the new cars rev 6500 from the factory

Coolrider 11-12-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 454C10 (Post 1654635)
Stock 5.7 rods in a 400 should hit the cam and block. Also the 400 crank will required lots of work to fit the 5.7 rods (cutting and balancing).

You can buy "stroker 5.7 rods" which are already clearanced.

Since you are building a street engine, consider using stock 400 rods. Avoids lots of pit falls and cost.

No need for a split duration cam with afr heads. Intake and exhaust duration should be the same with those heads. If you don't use headers or have a restrictive exhaust system then the extra exhaust duration will be good.

I would use a cam with 230 degrees duration at 0.050" on both the intake and exhaust, 110 LSA, headers, dual 2-1/2 or 3", and setup the engine with 10:1 cr. Should make close to 500 hp with any rod.

I finally listened to your advice and I chose Lunati bracket master. Now, I hesitate between the afr 195 or the afr vortec 190 to have more low end-midrange torque? The 190 vortec has 65 cc and with a Reverse Dome -15.0cc, i should get almost 10:1 (9.9:1) with the suggested .039 gasket. I have headers and 2 1/2 pipes. What do you think about that?

12340-SCA-432-C406 - Chevy 406 Reverse Dome -15.0cc Scat-Based Engine Kit

Air Flow Reasearch AFR-0912 SBC Cylinder Heads (Pair) 180cc Street Vortec Style Heads, straight plug, 65cc chambers, complete w/parts

Lunati 10120410K (Formerly Part Number 00010) Chevrolet Small Block V8 262-400 1955-Present Hydraulic Flat Tappet Bracket Master Complete Cam Kit RPM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.