Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - small blcok chevy! The ultimate starter problem! S.O.S.
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Last journal entry: How sweet it is!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

very informative post "oldbogie"

absolutely some food for thought. Ive replaced several starters in several different makes and moudels of vehicles never had this difficulty before. Usualy, bad one comes out new one goes in and you drive away. At the most a shim required.. Its more then apparent that the problem resides in the cracked cast area. As far as how it got cracked to begin with is anyones guess? It wasn't cracked when we put the motor in the car. The block was sent away and bored .30 It seemed to have come back all clear and ready for take off. The starter bolts used where the same ones that were in the block when the engine was pulled. The engine had been starting fine for years before the rebuild. If they were 100% factory bolts i have NO idea. I did however by replacement bolts found in the HELP-SECTION of most auto stores.

I would agree with you as far as welding cast. The idea was just to build a foundation around the missing chunk. That foundation allowed us to lock a nut onto the top of the bolt nice and flat. Had he not welded the missing chunk, id never would have gotten a nut on flush.

I realize that starter bolts are designed special and realy there should be NO substitute

at anyrate the damn thing seems to be holding niceley. perfect sounding starts and using the paper clip trick all lines up just fine.

One thing i have learned during my time playing with hotods. anything can and will happen.

peace

Last edited by sugar ray; 07-19-2007 at 02:03 PM.