Hot Rod Forum banner

small block 350 engine code

4K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  juggalo360 
#1 ·
hi i have a small block 350 and the numbers on it are: V1207DD and 1GL1369A5. no sites have these numbers at all. plz help me my firing order is all messed up.

#2 ·
i need help badly. emergency.

my small block 350 is spitting gas and flames out of the carb cause the firing order is messed up. the intake manifold says 18436572 but this is not correct. i need to know what this engine is the codes i can see r V1207DD and 1GL1369A5 plz help i need this truck running in the next hour.

#9 ·
the valves i adjusted while the engine was off. brand new hyd lifters. assembly lube everywhere. i tightened the rocker arm nuts down till i could not turn the rod. the lifter seat for the rod was about 1mm from the retainer clip inside lifter. the distributor was installed with the casting mark facing towards front of engine. the rotor was pointing just to the drivers side of the top radiator hose. the engine turns over very nicely but its just backfiring and spittin gas. quadrajet 4 bbl with a electronic fuel pump. hei distibutor ( coil in cap). and the number 1 spot on the distributor is just to the left of the wiring connections right?

#14 ·
Could be two things, valves too tight or timing is off. The fact that you say you could not turn the pushrods leads me to believe you may have them too tight.

How did you ensure that the engine was at TDC firing #1 so you could install the distributor?? I'm also thinking 180° out or just off enough to cause problems, one or the other.

#1 can be anywhere on the cap, as long as the rotor points to that post when #1 piston is at TDC firing.

#18 ·
juggalo360 said:
i cannot get to it distributor and hydra vac brake booster is in the way
No problem- the same procedure is used from the 262 to the 400 SBC, as far as setting the valves on a hydraulic valve train and for wiring the ignition wires and setting the distributor in place correctly.

You first need to find TDC on the compression stroke in order to install the distributor correctly. Sometimes the damper line and timing tab are not correct- like if a different tab or damper was used.

To adjust the valves, I use the EO/IC Method:

In order to adjust the preload, the lifter must be properly located on the base circle or "Heel" of the lobe.

At this position the valve is closed and there is no lift taking place. You will need to watch the movement of the valves to determine which lifter is properly positioned for adjusting.

1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder that you are going to set the preload on.

2. Hand rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm. (Why? Because when the exhaust valve is just beginning to open, the intake lifter will be on the base circle of the lobe, the correct position for adjusting the intake.)

3. Back off the intake rocker arm adjuster and remove any tension from the pushrod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the pushrod seat up against the retaining lock if you give it time to do so. (If you are installing brand new lifters they will be in the neutral position when they come in the box.)

4. Now spin the intake pushrod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the pushrod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one half to one full turn from that point. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

5. Continue to hand turn the engine, watching that same intake. It will go to full open and then begin to close.When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. (Again, when we see the intake almost closed, we are sure that exhaust lifter is on the base circle of the lobe.) Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

DETERMINING TDC will allow you to be sure the timing tab and damper are correctly indicating TDC.

MAKE A TIMING TAPE to see what the total timing is, w/o needing to use a dial back timing light. You can also buy a timing tape, they're not very expensive. The problem is if you have a different diameter damper than what the timing tape is made for.

#20 ·
juggalo360 said:
can i spin the engine around and set the timing line on H.B. in the deepest v and be on the compression stroke? also if the valves r too tight could that cause a foot or two of a gas cloud to spit out of the carb?
If the timing tab and balancer line is correctly showing TDC, you will be either right where you want to be, or 180 degrees off. That's why you want to either use a finger on the plug hole to determine the compression stroke, or remove a valve cover (yours are off now?) and watch the valve action to tell when you're on compression.

Having the valves too tight can cause a fiery backfire up through the carb. The timing being off will do the same thing sometimes.

#22 ·
When you go to adjust the valves, back off the adjustment nut until there's play. Then as you tighten the nut down, try jiggling the pushrod up and down instead of twisting it. This will help you to feel/hear when the slack is taken up. Once the slack is gone and you are at "zero lash", tighten the nut an additional 1/2 turn. Then go on to the next valve.

Sorry for interrupting. I didn't realize until now that there was a second page of the thread already in progress! My mistake, I'll sit back and shut up now. :embarrass

#23 ·
lol the moving the wires dint help much. it did stop backfiring. and i moved the distibutor over one tooth on cam. its still spitting a cloud of gas and smoke back thru carb tho. and my POS starter is starting to get stuck it stays engaged to the flywheel with power off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.