small block 350 engine code - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalo360
i stuck my finger in the #1 spark plug hole and turned the engine over until i got compression till it stopped. .
Once you did this, where was the timing line on the balancer in relation to the timing tab??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 PM

it was dead center on the timing mark the deepest v
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
i cannot get to it distributor and hydra vac brake booster is in the way
No problem- the same procedure is used from the 262 to the 400 SBC, as far as setting the valves on a hydraulic valve train and for wiring the ignition wires and setting the distributor in place correctly.

You first need to find TDC on the compression stroke in order to install the distributor correctly. Sometimes the damper line and timing tab are not correct- like if a different tab or damper was used.

To adjust the valves, I use the EO/IC Method:

In order to adjust the preload, the lifter must be properly located on the base circle or "Heel" of the lobe.

At this position the valve is closed and there is no lift taking place. You will need to watch the movement of the valves to determine which lifter is properly positioned for adjusting.

1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder that you are going to set the preload on.

2. Hand rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm. (Why? Because when the exhaust valve is just beginning to open, the intake lifter will be on the base circle of the lobe, the correct position for adjusting the intake.)

3. Back off the intake rocker arm adjuster and remove any tension from the pushrod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the pushrod seat up against the retaining lock if you give it time to do so. (If you are installing brand new lifters they will be in the neutral position when they come in the box.)

4. Now spin the intake pushrod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the pushrod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one half to one full turn from that point. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

5. Continue to hand turn the engine, watching that same intake. It will go to full open and then begin to close.When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. (Again, when we see the intake almost closed, we are sure that exhaust lifter is on the base circle of the lobe.) Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

DETERMINING TDC will allow you to be sure the timing tab and damper are correctly indicating TDC.

MAKE A TIMING TAPE to see what the total timing is, w/o needing to use a dial back timing light. You can also buy a timing tape, they're not very expensive. The problem is if you have a different diameter damper than what the timing tape is made for.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 PM

can i spin the engine around and set the timing line on H.B. in the deepest v and be on the compression stroke? also if the valves r too tight could that cause a foot or two of a gas cloud to spit out of the carb?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
can i spin the engine around and set the timing line on H.B. in the deepest v and be on the compression stroke? also if the valves r too tight could that cause a foot or two of a gas cloud to spit out of the carb?
If the timing tab and balancer line is correctly showing TDC, you will be either right where you want to be, or 180 degrees off. That's why you want to either use a finger on the plug hole to determine the compression stroke, or remove a valve cover (yours are off now?) and watch the valve action to tell when you're on compression.

Having the valves too tight can cause a fiery backfire up through the carb. The timing being off will do the same thing sometimes.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 PM

i think i just found the problem. the wires are in the wrong spots. they are 2 spots to the right. ima try and fix this and see if the engine fires up. brb
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 PM
WFO

Last photo:

When you go to adjust the valves, back off the adjustment nut until there's play. Then as you tighten the nut down, try jiggling the pushrod up and down instead of twisting it. This will help you to feel/hear when the slack is taken up. Once the slack is gone and you are at "zero lash", tighten the nut an additional 1/2 turn. Then go on to the next valve.

Sorry for interrupting. I didn't realize until now that there was a second page of the thread already in progress! My mistake, I'll sit back and shut up now.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 PM

lol the moving the wires dint help much. it did stop backfiring. and i moved the distibutor over one tooth on cam. its still spitting a cloud of gas and smoke back thru carb tho. and my POS starter is starting to get stuck it stays engaged to the flywheel with power off.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 AM

alrighty this engine is 4 sale. j/k. its pissing me off tho i just readjusted the valves double checked the the firing order. and its still spitting gas out of carb. its not even tryin to fire or run
Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 AM

i wish this engine would give up the ghost so i have a reason to go with a 454 or a 403
Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 AM

ooooo pretty. its blowin fire thru carb now.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
No offense taken- but it is YOU who is mistaken.

You prolly have the valves adjusted too tight and/or the distributor 180 degrees out.
He said he just popped a cam in it. I'm betting he didn't rotate the engine 360* before he dropped the dist. in after lining up the dot's on the cam
& crank gear.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
ooooo pretty. its blowin fire thru carb now.
Keep that up, and your going to be looking for a car to put those engine's in after it burns to the ground. Find out what's wrong.

If you didn't rotate the engine (after lining up the dot's on the cam and crank gears) 360* you need to put the timing mark on TDC, pull the dist., rotate the engine 1 turn till the timing mark comes back to TDC and re-install the dist.
check rotor posistion and start your firing order clockwise starting with the tower the the rotor is pointing at. If you allready did that, look somewhere else and pay no attn. to me!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:59 AM

tommorrow ima pull the distributor and turn it 180. cause the number3 and 6 pistons r firing while the intake valve is open.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 AM

i got restless and did what u said turned the distributor 180. its tryin very hard but its still not running. i had it running for about 4-5 seconds but thats it. tommorrow ima mess with the distributor and find the right timing for it. hopefully itll fire right off and scream. this engine is very loud so far. 2 1/2 exhaust with 3 inch flowmaster 40s no crossover dual exhaust.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.