Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Small Block 400ci...or...Big Block 396ci????
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2002, 03:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yes, I had an experience boring out a 402 block. I got a "deal" on some 12 to one 427 pistons. This was in about 1977 so I can't remember all of the details but the block had to be bored about 125 thousands. I was with my first wife then and didn't have much money hence the "cobbled together" big block with cheap used (forged) pistons. That motor lasted all of one week before it started belching large amounts of white smoke out of one of the exhausts. There was a huge crack in one of the cylinders! I tore the motor down and had a sleeve installed in that cracked cylinder. The motor ran fine for about a month until I noticed low oil pressure upon acceleration. I was running a stock pan and I'm pretty sure I sucked the pan dry because it wasen't long after the low oil pressure thing that it a main bearing spun. I went back to that same machine shop and the owner got me a "rebuilt steel crank kit" for a 100 bucks. After installiation of the rebuilt crank the motor ran great for a long time but I really hated that high compression. I never could keep it from pinging on hard accelleration. I've never had a big block since then and have enjoyed several trouble free small blocks and am now running a cheap home built 383 in my 4 speed Camaro. I must say that if you're on a strict budget like me then the small block is the way to go. Heck, that big block caused my first wife to leave me. Well, it could have been the womenizing, drinking and coming home very late that made her leave. No it was the big block!