small block build, - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 01:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

small block build,

G'day people

As I have been looking around here for a while and havn't come across this question in regards to a 350 chev. And as I have just pulled the engine out of my toy (SWB Patrol 4x4) I want to fix it up while its out..

1st, once the heads were removed, I found the pistons to be burnt black on top, but clean around the sides (like new), there was a lot of carbon build up around the inlet valves on top of the pistons (to me maybe guides or seals) but there is 1 cylinder that is clean around the whole piston, but where the inlet valve sits, the strange thing though is this cylinder had the dirtiest plug ***????... all the other plugs were clean bar the rounding of the ceramic part of the plug closest to the inlet valves wich had a minor coating of oil mist (may even be burnt)...Could someone tell me why its BURNT black, I know its going to burn oil, but this is really black, could there be to much compression - wrong dizzy curve - lean mixtures - etc etc, im a little stummped.. Can pinging cause this???

2nd, As my expirence with small block engine building is minimal, I am wanting to know how much lift a set of 462 fuellie heads can go, Can I add a speed pro street/strip cam like this, and will it suit my application..
Adv duration 288deg
Duration @ .050" 232deg
Valve lift .480"
Lobe separation 108deg

The engine has flat top pistons, heads are as mentioned double hump 462 casts, 2.02/1.6 valves, big port job, 64cc, unknown cam (currently) 4 bolt block, steel crank, custom 4 into 1 extractors, some manifold looks similar to an eldebrock but it only has USA written on it, no other casting???? I would say at a guess it would be running 10.5 comp or more.
My carby is a 650 holley, but it has a sprint gas LPG on top, and is set up for straight gas (lpg).
I have not had normal pump fuel through it as the pump is gone, and there is no fuel lines, etc, or tank for that matter, lol....
But if I can get some premium fuel 98, what HP would it possibly get with the above mentioned cam, with dizzy graphed to suit...

This is sitting in a SWB Nissan Patrol, 35 inch tyres, and 4.365 diffs. heres a pic of my toy, rust and all....

And thanks
Casey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0432 copy.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	6445  

Advertisement

Last edited by kc_ksom; 08-15-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Pistons sound normal. Except the one clean is probably washed down with fuel or water from a bad carb or bad head gasket. dirty plug is from cyl. not firing and burning off trash.

That cam would work with the heads and intake well.

About 375hp.

I would lighlty port for low speed torque.

You don't have a lot of gear for the tire size.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:16 AM

Last photo:

Yea thanks for that johnsongrass1, I am still unsure what the go with the clean cylinder is, because there was no head gasket prob, the car doesnt miss fire, its running straight LPG, so it cant run rich on one cylinder, I thought other than the oil on top, I would of said that was the only good one, lol... But yea, I have seen in the past a blown head gasket and the piston is cleaned, but I am positive this is not the case here..
I thank you for the reply.

Ohh, 375hp, DOH!!! how can I get this thing over the 400 mark, NEW HEADS, grrrr!!!!!
I would of thought as the heads have exstensive port work, they would flow as much as an after market set anyway, I will have to get the port work looked at as I cant verify that they have been done correctly... But thanks again, I have to go clean the block and heads etc up now SO I CANT WAIT FOR THAT,,,, Not!!!!

Ohh!!! As for tyre size, this is purely for WANK FACTOR!!! well not the only thing, but the major reason, lol,,, the other reason is it has 4.3 diffs and well at 100km (65mph ???) its pulling 3000rpm or around there, and I was going DEAF also broke, lol....

This thing realy is just my toy, but suprisingly it is economical to run on the LPG, so it does get used a fair bit, wich is the main reason I wanted to clean it up and make a little more reliable oil pressure,,,, But thanks once again

Casey
Old 08-16-2005, 07:19 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Nothing wrong with 375. 375 makes any street toy fun.

You can make 400hp with better heads but on a small block it gonna come by the virtue of rpm. With your gear, and tire size, and my inexperience on LPG, I offered advice a little conservative to save face.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:46 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

The one cylinder is clean froma result of good rings. It's the other ones that were burning oil to cause that black residue. Carbon buildup is normal on a gas engine (which most of us are most familiar with) but propane is a hell of a lot cleaner. For instance or a LPG engine with good rings an oil change is only necessary about every 30,000 miles- not 3,000 like gas. It also burns cooler which is probably why the oil buildup on the plugs is such a dark tarry (from what I gathered) black, and less like the soot that you would normally expoect from burning oil. Thoe heads aren't too bad for a budget choice, but I'd go a little heavy on porting/polishing the chambers to lower the compression to under 10:1 98 octane will probably handle higher fine, but trail rigs usually last longer and are a lot easier on upkeep with lower compression than what you would use for a street rod. I would also keep the port volume on the small side and just try to clean up the runners rather than an overhaul. As stated it helps low end torque and I'm sure you know that it's torque that pulls you over the boulders.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.