small block chevy ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 08:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

small block chevy ??

I am arguing with my local machine shop, I need to build a motor for my 63 chevy II but can not decide on rebuld the existing 283, 327 or 350. I am looking for about 350 horse on pump gas. any thoughts

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston pop
I am arguing with my local machine shop, I need to build a motor for my 63 chevy II but can not decide on rebuld the existing 283, 327 or 350. I am looking for about 350 horse on pump gas. any thoughts
Depends on what you have to begin with. You can't beat cubic inches, so if you already have a 350, then go with it. If you have the 283 or a 327 and the block checks out good, stick with it. Any of those choices can achieve the HP you want with the correct combo of components. (heads, cam, exhaust, carb selection). Are you running the original standard shift or Powerglide or have you switched over to some other trans. The stock rear will not hold up very well under hard acceleration with 350 HP. You should also consider Cal-Tracs and frame extensions to get the power to the ground. Nice project! ENJOY!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Getting 350 hp from a 283 would be an impressive feat. Better start looking at turbochargers or ??...

Im building a 327 from a 350 block. It will be real similar to the 350 hp l-79. If you choose to do that then the upside is the 327 is more efficent (capable of a bit better mpg) and I also wanted a period correct displacement for my 65. The downside is that building a 327 nowadays will cost you more than a 350.

There is a lot of upside to a 350. From a raw power point of view they will make it easier than a 327. Start off with a good rebuildable core and you can save a lot of cash. And their low end torque is excellent for a street machine.

You know, with gas edging ahead of $4.00 a gallon, depending on your car, a well built 283 might be a good way to go though. But getting huge hp #'s from it would be expensive. 300 hp should be quite doable.

Have fun with it!!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:09 PM

these are the same points my machinist is making , can't beat cubic inches, for the money you can spend less on a 350 per horse power than the 283/327
The car is now a driver with the 283 so I know the moter is good, i am planning on a turbo 350 to replace the power glide, my friends think it the wrong choice. everyone is telling me that at shows and runs no one will have the sound that the 283 will produce. if I go with the 350 block do I have to worry about the front sump oil pan and pick up?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

If you're going to keep it a driver, I'd definitely go with the 350 and the Turbo 350 trans. The milder you can keep the modifications, the more fuel efficient it's going to be on the road. The turbo, or even the 700 overdrive trans would be better.

The Powerglide may be good for racing, but for a driver, you're better off with the launch of first gear in the turbo.

As far as the sound of it, the 283 will sound better in a crowd only because it will have to be built pretty radical to make the HP you're looking for. Check around. There are some cam companies that now make cams that have some "thump" to them, but aren't too radical. I think Comp Cams makes a new series of cams called "THUMPR'S''. Something like this should get you the best of all worlds, performance, mileage and a good sound.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

If you use an early 350 block, you can use the oil pan off the 283.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:27 PM

i think i would consider a newer model roller cam engine , with fuel injection... it'll cost more but atleast you might be able to get atleast 20mpg...
Old 07-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Quote:
these are the same points my machinist is making , can't beat cubic inches, for the money you can spend less on a 350 per horse power than the 283/327
It's really simple in those terms. You want 350 HP. To do that with the 283 will require 1.25HP/CI. That same 1.25HP/CI, applied to a 350 will get you 420HP. Both doable and both quite easy. That said, the 350 will make 20% more power at or near the same cost(+/-). TQ, the 350 will also make better TQ. IMO, the 350 will get you what you want - without high cost fuel and no sacrifice in drive-ability or performance. JMO
Old 07-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

A lot of that "old 283" sound was rams horn manifolds and 2" dual exhaust pipes with glass packs and NO H pipe. It IS a unique sound that can work on any rig.
I have it on one small block Ford and nearly everybody comments on it sounding "60s". Totally different than 2 1/2 inch pipes, H, and Flowmasters.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

O know this 'old guy' who still has his new bought Warlock. He told of using 2.?"copper in an exhaust, something about the sound, way back in the day. I never heard of anything like it, seen or heard anything with that type deal. Anybody else? You might need to be the age of a wise man for this one if it's true LOL
Old 07-04-2008, 03:23 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

If its a stick tranny make the 283 a 301.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston pop
i am planning on a turbo 350 to replace the power glide, my friends think it the wrong choice. everyone is telling me that at shows and runs no one will have the sound that the 283 will produce. if I go with the 350 block do I have to worry about the front sump oil pan and pick up?
You have to change the trans crossmember to use a TH350. They are available from the vendor I linked to below. The driveshaft will have to be changed in length. An large cap GM HEI may not clear the firewall without a "dimple". They make a front sump pan and oil pump pickup for the 350 if the one from the 283 won't fit. Another choice is to use an aftermarket oilpan with the cutout for the steering to clear. This is what my son is doing on his '65 Chevy II longroof. Your 283 radiator should work OK provided you use a shroud.

Go to Chevy II Only for info and parts specifically designed for what you are doing. Excellent customer service.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:40 PM
More for Less Racer

Frisco, Powerglide and TH-350 are the same overall length, use the same yoke and the same crossmember, and crossmember mounts in the same place. You shouldn't have to move or modify anything as long as they are both passenger car transmissions. Some truck trannys have a longer tailshaft but the mounting location is the same. TH400 or an Overdrive trans are the ones that require mods to everything.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 PM

Chevy II

The stock transmission cross member needs to be "notched" for clearence if using a TH350 trans. Put the 283 away for when you return it to stock, a stock block, raised oil filter pad block is worth some coin. Build a mild 350 with a TH350 trans, and 3.55/3.73 gearing and it'll be more than enough for the street.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
use the same yoke and the same crossmember, and crossmember mounts in the same place.
Could be. I do know that my son removed the stock 6 cylinder engine and powerglide from his '65 Chevy II wagon and bought a "kit" to install a small block Chevy in its place using a TH350 trans. The kit came with a new trans crossmember, front engine uprights & motormounts for the V-8 engine, radiator, fan shroud, modified oil pan and extended pickup, etc. We had the engine in place for a trial fit and he is waiting for finishing the final install. He is going to rebuild the front suspension first.

In this threads originator piston pop; he already has a V-8 in his '62 so he will need less to swap engines and trans.

To 65smallblock: I believe it was in 1961 that the Chevrolet Corvette offered the 283 cu.in. fuel injected engine at 315 HP and that in 1962 the Chevrolet Corvette's offered a 360 HP 327 cu.in. fuel injected small block from the factory. Getting 350 HP isn't really all that difficult with the right combo of parts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.