Small Block Chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 11:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Small Block Chevy

Hey everyone. I'm 16(17 in a month) and I have been building myself a 1980 Camaro Z28. It has a mildly modded 350, but it's tired....My friend and boss both offered me 350 block for free, and I am going to take 1 of them.

I want to be able to make my car kind of like....a street legal Pro Street thing. I am looking to get it into the 900+ horsepower range, and the.....10's or lower. I am wondering if this would be possible, and how would I go about doing so.

I understand it requires much time, much money, and much knowledge. I am a mechanic, so I make my money that way, and well....I have some experience on cars being a mechanic and all lol.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 12:00 PM
paints everything flat black

Last journal entry: September 2005 - Current
Last photo:

you won't get that sort of power out of a 350 unless it's like quad-turbocharged or running nitro-methane or something.

think more like 400 HP, 500 if you're truly ambitious.

the blonde weasel
Old 06-15-2005, 12:05 PM

I've already ran more then that out of a SBC. I know I can hit 600 horse without a super charger or nitrous. You think a 383 with a 6:71 or 8:71 can't hit 900 horsepower?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

[QUOTE=BlueEyedDevil141]Hey everyone. I'm 16(17 in a month) and I have been building myself a 1980 Camaro Z28. It has a mildly modded 350, but it's tired....My friend and boss both offered me 350 block for free, and I am going to take 1 of them.

I want to be able to make my car kind of like....a street legal Pro Street thing. I am looking to get it into the 900+ horsepower range, and the.....10's or lower. I am wondering if this would be possible, and how would I go about doing so.

If they don't mind If I were you I would take both 350 blocks.

As far a producing 900+ HP thats asking a lot. You are speaking in cubic inch dollars to even come close to those HP goals. I would agree with blndweasel for saying its normal to expect 400+ HP for a SBC, not that more cant be had, It just comes with a much higher price tag. To hit those HP #'s I would assume that it would not be naturally aspirated. some sort of adder would be needed. Also a small block with that much HP would not be all that street frendly. But it would be fun!!!

Steve
Old 06-15-2005, 12:33 PM

Well, for me to get into the low 10's or less....what kind of power would I be needing?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:51 PM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

horsepower is not the only thing you need for a fast car. gearing matters also.

im not gonna say alot about your age cuz i only have 5 years on you, but for now just maybe rebuild your 350 and see how that goes first, then try building something a little more powerful. 900+ is way too much for a small block. if you want that then go with a big block. maybe a blown 454. in my opinion the olds 455 is awesome. it is a torque monster. i am planning on putting about $5000-6000 more into it and hoping i am hitting about 700 hp, but with 800+ft lbs of torque. and its not really going to be streetable. is what i am getting at is save your money and wait untill you can afford all the parts, and build a few engines first. you dont want your first engine that you put 10000+ into blow up on your first run because you didnt pay attention to tolerances.

Last edited by 455c-10; 06-15-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

The engine is only part of what it takes to run good numbers at the track. There are some high HP cars out there that can't get out of their own way when it comes to drag racing.

You will not get 900HP out of a gas 350 small block. Throwing around HP numbers like that people will tend to not take you seriously.

I am not sure what your budget is like, I know when I was 17 I couldn't afford to build anything like you are thinking. Maybe times have changed.

With that said, You do NOT need 900HP to run in the 10's, you can easily get there with 550HP (less if you have a light car that hooks). The lighter the car the less power you will need. Taking weight out of the car is usually cheaper than making more power. I can't tell you how important SUSPENSION will be, you have to get the power to the ground or it is useless.

We won't get into gears, stall convertors, tranny types, spring rates, shocks, traction devices, safety equipment, roll cages, and all the other things that need to be in place to run 10's or better.

If you can build the 383 that will make getting to the 10's a lot easier (still won't be easy). I assume you plan to run pump gas?

A blower would get you there no problem and you can make 800HP with a blown small block fairly easy. Th problem is at 17 how are you going to afford to build a blown engine? Do you have your license yet? How long have you been driving? Have you ever made a 1/4 mile pass before? I ask these questions because, you probably have no idea how fast a true 10 second car is. That is not something a "beginner" should be driving (at the track or not) a 12 second car is FAST (too much for a rookie). Start with something a bit more tame and work your way up to the 10 second goal.

Royce
Old 06-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Very well said Royce. I hope you`ll take into account what Royce said, he speaks it from experience. I don`t know your experience just as he don`t, but I will say what I`ve said to many a young man on this site, Don`t be too eager to climb up the power ladder, learn to drive it and handle it first, then step up, as you can`t enjoy the hobby or your camaro dead or in a wheel chair.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

Good stuff up there Royce!

Making big power is the easy part. All the other stuff that goes along with that is the tough part. Going from a 13 second car to a 12 second car to a 11 second car to a 10 second car are big steps in the "total package". 13's can be done easily on all the stock stuff in street trim (just need more engine), but after that it starts getting crazy.

Try rebuilding the block with some decently strong parts (don't over kill it) and add a good set of heads then install a upgradeable N02 kit. Lighten up the car, install a roll cage, and go to the track. Shoot for 350-400 hp (off the bottle) and get some track time (5 or 6 trips with 5 or 6 runs each trip). Later on, start using the N20. 75 hp to start then setup one level every two trips to the track until you get to 300hp N20.

Should run mid 13's to start and mid 10's on the bottle at 300hp.

Of course the transmission will need to be build-up and have the proper torque converter. And the diff will need gears and some type of lockable carrier and some hp axles. And don't forget the racing seat, seat belts, rims, slicks, hp fuel pumps, racing fuel, hp ignition, hp exhaust, brake linelock, shifter, helmet, and racing suit. Then the faster you go, the quicker the parts break or wear out! And that reminds me, a truck and car trailer with a wrench will start coming in handy once you get into the 11's.

FYI, if you go into the 9's you will need a special drag racing license. And once the car is in the 12's, it will need to start passing harder tech inspections.

Ah, to be young again! I don't what to kill you dreams but you need a little reality information on a project like this. It can be done, but not all at once. Slow down a little, hotrod.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:09 PM

My friend has a 454 with a blower and nitrous in a '72 Chevelle. So...That is a VERY fast car. It was dynoed at 1175 or something like that....So I dunno what 1/4 time it is. I do not have my license, but I have ran the 1/4 several times in a buddies '68 Camaro.

I am going to pay for this since I'm working an adults hours, so I get some nice cash flow.

I have access to 2 FREE 350's so I wanted to take advantage of them, and parts are cheaper. How much would a 454 block cost for me to find somewhere?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
Good stuff up there Royce!

Making big power is the easy part. All the other stuff that goes along with that is the tough part. Going from a 13 second car to a 12 second car to a 11 second car to a 10 second car are big steps in the "total package". 13's can be done easily on all the stock stuff in street trim (just need more engine), but after that it starts getting crazy.

Try rebuilding the block with some decently strong parts (don't over kill it) and add a good set of heads then install a upgradeable N02 kit. Lighten up the car, install a roll cage, and go to the track. Shoot for 350-400 hp (off the bottle) and get some track time (5 or 6 trips with 5 or 6 runs each trip). Later on, start using the N20. 75 hp to start then setup one level every two trips to the track until you get to 300hp N20.

Should run mid 13's to start and mid 10's on the bottle at 300hp.

Of course the transmission will need to be build-up and have the proper torque converter. And the diff will need gears and some type of lockable carrier and some hp axles. And don't forget the racing seat, seat belts, rims, slicks, hp fuel pumps, racing fuel, hp ignition, hp exhaust, brake linelock, shifter, helmet, and racing suit. Then the faster you go, the quicker the parts break or wear out! And that reminds me, a truck and car trailer with a wrench will start coming in handy once you get into the 11's.

FYI, if you go into the 9's you will need a special drag racing license. And once the car is in the 12's, it will need to start passing harder tech inspections.

Ah, to be young again! I don't what to kill you dreams but you need a little reality information on a project like this. It can be done, but not all at once. Slow down a little, hotrod.

Don't get me wrong guys, i'm not trying to be arrogant or a know it all or anything; because I don't. I HAVE rebuilt several motors, including mine. I have a cam, lifters, rockers, pistons, rods, crank, pushrods, intake, carb, and all my ignition. I am going to do all my suspension first, i'm just trying to get an idea of what the motor will need so I can write up my buildsheet lol. This motor won't be in car till at least next september, if that.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:30 PM

I believe you can make 900 hp on gas with a small block. I just dont think your main webbings will put up with it very long.

If your gonna do it start looking for an aftermarket block. If your gonna look for an aftermarket block, get a tall deck raised cam big block ( but you should consider a hemi) unless your heart is set on a small block. I'd get an aluminum block so I could repair it and use it the rest of my life. There are plenty of K.B. water blocks around that you can latch onto cheap and they will hold 3000-4000 hp pretty reliably. This will offer flexibility as you get older and want to run alcohol funny car,Pro mod or something else. If you're stressing about getting into the 10s at 17 yrs old, you'll need the ability to run 7s by the time you're 21. No sense buying 6 blocks to get there.

Personally, 10s gets boring real soon. The only good part of 10s is the launch and after that, they may as well put the return road exit 200 feet down the track cause I am bored by then.

You go get the block and get back to us for the rest of the story. You can get them from $1000-2000 depending. A few windows wont hurt nothing they are made to window. If the front or the back of the block is damaged, pass on it.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

Ford Big block 390 / Ford Big block 391

ignore this post

Last edited by StevenC; 06-15-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:30 PM

I read alot of people saying that 900+ isn't feasable. But they are wrong. A very well built bottom end 383, AFR 225 heads, of course everything balanced to extremes, roller everything, and a nice little single 76mm turbo on 112 gas will put you over 900 ponies. 20G's. Any arguments?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66NovaGuy
I read alot of people saying that 900+ isn't feasable. But they are wrong. A very well built bottom end 383, AFR 225 heads, of course everything balanced to extremes, roller everything, and a nice little single 76mm turbo on 112 gas will put you over 900 ponies. 20G's. Any arguments?
I think the argument on that was more geared towards its feasability at the age of 16/17. Consider budget, experience, etc. A 900+hp motor isn't in the budget for most 40 year old adults. The cost of the engine is high enough. Dont think for a second that most stock transmissions, rear ends, even chassis will stand up to 900+hp for long. The 1980 Camaro was built for 190-300hp, not 3-4 times that.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.