Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - small block chevy engine id code help
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My first '67 I had back in the late-80's had a 194 6cyl, which I converted using a 283 from a 65 malibu. I knew I had to dump the cannister-type oil filter and get an adapter for a screw on filter. And since front-sump nova pans/oil-pump pickup parts weren't easily attainable, the only choice I had was a deep-sump early nova "notched" pan from Milodon...but the "ram" (power assist) and hoses had to be removed.

From what I understand, the recessed oil filter was made to clear the clutch cross-shaft/linkage as well. Never saw an original set-up personally, but attained a couple of 283-nova blocks over the years. They both came from automatic-novas, but had the pivot-ball holes for clutch linkage.

On another note, my last '67 nova was converted to 4sp. by the previous owner, using chevelle parts (and a typical SBC with a normal oil filter location). Actually worked good, with one exception...the clutch fork would hit the floor pan when pushing down on the clutch. He made a notch in the floor (just to the left of the gas pedal). Geometry must have been good...that was the softest pedal-pressure I've ever felt using a three-finger clutch. No herky-jerky feel in the pedal. The orignal early-nova bell housings had the clutch fork clocked-down to clear the floor pan.