Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Small block chevy tick

27K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  39 chev 
#1 ·
Can someone please help me out! My 350 is ticking it's coming from the passenger side.. I thought it was maybe a stuck lifter, replaced all the lifters and pushrods. It was gone at first then later came back. Readjusted valves countless times. I've tried changing plug wires, header gaskets, even went as far as changing the flywheel. However I found that the tick is coming from the number 4 cylinder exhaust valve. You can tighten down on it really tight til it's about to cut the motor off but it slowly comes back. Motor has good oil pressure. Give me your opinions on it thanks!

#33 ·
SBC tick

Bought a 1987 Monte Carlo years ago for one of my daughters. It had a light tick that I swore was a valve out of adjustment. Chased it for a while, got out the stethascope, and found a worn arm/pin on the fuel pump. replaced the pump and the tick was gone. Still have the car and still no tick. Easy check, cheap fix.Hope this helps.

#34 ·
Bought a 1987 Monte Carlo years ago for one of my daughters. It had a light tick that I swore was a valve out of adjustment. Chased it for a while, got out the stethascope, and found a worn arm/pin on the fuel pump. replaced the pump and the tick was gone. Still have the car and still no tick. Easy check, cheap fix.Hope this helps.
I realise this is an old thread,but since it has been brought back up,I will comment. I went through the same thing on a 350 in my 69 pickup. I even went as far as replacing the timing chain,but still had the noise.I pulled the fuel pump and found the pivot pin hole was badly worn.I also changed the fuel pump and she was quiet after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.