Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Small block chevy tick

27K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  39 chev 
#1 ·
Can someone please help me out! My 350 is ticking it's coming from the passenger side.. I thought it was maybe a stuck lifter, replaced all the lifters and pushrods. It was gone at first then later came back. Readjusted valves countless times. I've tried changing plug wires, header gaskets, even went as far as changing the flywheel. However I found that the tick is coming from the number 4 cylinder exhaust valve. You can tighten down on it really tight til it's about to cut the motor off but it slowly comes back. Motor has good oil pressure. Give me your opinions on it thanks!

#13 ·
Yes the lifters are brand new. Let set in oil over night before putting them in also. I don't really think it's an exhaust leak sense it stops when you over tighten the rocker.. But yes it misses a little! I took it back apart last night and pulled that one lifter out and it didn't have a dish in it, it was still flat so idk if its a cam lobe. I don't know what's going on!!!

#14 ·
if tightening rocker down so far as to hold a valve open & keeping it from fully seating,cylinder would have little to no compression making even an exhaust leak go away or @ least quiet down.It wuz just a thought based on your description of tightening lifter down.It does however seem more like a worn or flat lobe tho since you state that it goes away for short period after adjustment.As Tech stated tho,ck the hgt on all your studs also to make sure you don't have 1 trying to pull out,or,even a very worn,bent rocker arm.

#15 ·
Over tightening to remove the click may be masking the sound by creating a dead cylinder. Even an exhaust leak will go away if you tighten the lifter far enough to keep that cylinder from compressing by opening the valve totally.
Set the lifters to cam spec, and look for the real cause of the noise. You my need to get a stethescope to pin it down closer. If by chance it is an exhaust leak, you can find it by sticking a old feather around the exhaust ports and see if a leak moves it as it passes by. Probably too hot to put your hand or fingers down there and feel for a leak.
Had one come by just two weeks ago for a lifter adjustment, and had new gaskets on it. I found a crack in a header flange on one port. Pulled the headers and welded the crack up. New set of gaskets, and the weld fixed the tick.

#17 ·
Thanks! I will check out the header again who knows it could still be leaking! Also before I got the truck back an noticed the ticking, it was ran really hard by the guy I let use it said it died twice he was driving it so hard and fast, I also believe it was low on oil when he drove it!

#18 ·
Was this before or after you changed lifters?He could have floated a lifter.Also if that valve isn't completely closing,rocker could be loose enuff to cause a tick or rattle.Same thing if a spring is weak.Are these self aligning rockers?Make sure rocker is contacting valve stem @ the correct point.

#23 ·
I think I got the loud tick fixed! Took it all back apart swapped out that lifter on that cylinder, got all new rocker nuts and changed exhaust manifold gaskets again, and checked the header for cracks or holes didn't find none. It's not ticking nearly as loud now! It's barley doing it you have to be listening to hear it. I have the valves adjusted- I Un tightened rocker til it cladered made it stop then went a quarter turn like some reremended.. Idk what the same ticking is.. I'm thinking torque converter low on fluid because when put in reverse it starts ticking louder again. One problem right after the next!

#24 ·
Check everything over good for loose bolts nuts,etc.You may just have somethin loose & vibrating around.Ck your trans lines to make sure they aren't rubbing together.Headers can make stuff work loose.Get a stethoscope,or,use a piece of hose to your ear to listen & try to pinpoint the exact location.Just be careful & watch what your doin so you don't get burnt or hit by somethin movin.

#25 ·
I do know I got to pull the trans back out. When I replaced the flywheel the new one didn't have a balance weight on it like the old one I asked a couple different mechanics they said it didn't need it, I still thought it did. Well I listened to them anyways put it all back together to find out it shakes a little when its coming back down from being reved. I should have just went with my gut!!

#28 ·
You think the ticking could be coming from the flywheel sense it doesn't have that weight on it keeping balanced? I unbolted the torque converter and held it up while the motor was running to rule that out. It sounds right at that area! I'm gonna check the back rockers again just to rule that out also!

#31 ·
Just a thought here, but when you pull the trans, take the convertor out and shake it. You just might find your rattle. I have changed out a few of them that were having failing and sounded like a can full of marbles. If one fin breaks off the rest follow suit shortly after. Again just a thought since you are going to have it all out anyway, it will be easy to check and will rule out a convertor noise.:thumbup:

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.