Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Small Block Chevy Top End Rebuild: How Much HP??
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by purple1967camaro
i base my guess about my friends engine on the engine my dad had in his 82 corvette. it was a 383 stroker with flat tops and 76cc heads and a mild cam 260 or 270 and mild valve train. it had a performer manifold and a 600cfm carb and was engine dynoed at 450hp. and because my friend has that same setup but with dome pistons and a lumpier cam and a higher ratio valvetrain i would imagine his engine would make quite a bit more power.
There is no way. As far as I know there are no 76cc aftermarket heads, so I'm assuming you're referring to stock heads. With that cam and setup in a 383 you're looking at like 270-290 HP, and he's lucky to get 220 at the wheels. Unless you saw the motor go on the dyno, watched the slip print up and saw that motor dropped into the car, this guy is telling stories. Maybe he's counting the HP his stickers give him on the side of the car! Sorry, had to throw that one in.

Here's a clip from Ryan's stroker page on a 440 horse 383:

Combo 10.
Combo 10 uses Dart Iron Eagles instead of Sportsman II's. The swap produces 24 more HP and 7 more ft-lbs of torque than the Sportsman II's. The Iron Eagles also made 14 less HP and 18 less ft-lbs of torque than the Trick Flow 23 heads. We can see that the Dart heads are clearly better than the World Products heads.
Displacement: 383 cu. in.
Carburetor: Holley 750 double pumper
Heads: Dart Iron Eagle
Intake: Edelbrock Victor Jr.
Camshaft: Comp Cams hydraulic roller, with 230/236 of duration @ 0.050 in. lift, and 0.510/0.520 in. lift
Rockers: Trick Flow roller, 1.5:1
Headers: 1 3/4 in. primaries, with 3 in. exhaust and Flowmaster mufflers
Pistons: KB hypereutectic, 12 cc dish
Rods: Trick Flow forged, 5.7 in.
Crank: Trick Flow forged
Distributor: MSD Billet with 6AL ignition
Comp. Ratio: 10.0:1

MAX HP: 446 @ 5500
MAX Torque: 433 @ 4500

Notice this motor doesn't break the 450 horse mark, has $1000 dollar a set aftermarket heads, a 280-286 500 lift ROLLER cam in it, an intake that is two steps up from the performer you're using, and a HUGE set of headers on it.

You're not the first one who's had a story told to them, I wouldn't mention it to your buddy who told you it, they usually don't take it well! What's the 1/4 mile time and speed for this car? That's the true test!

K