Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Small Block Chevy Top End Rebuild: How Much HP??
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I'm telling you guy, its not a 450 horse motor, I would be surprised if it broke the 400 mark. Torquer heads are 170 cc runners, you need about 190-200 to make an easy 450 horse. Your friend's cam is flat and is 10-20 degrees shorter on duration. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its a potent motor, but I'm just trying to tell you 450 horse is not easy to get! BTW, as long as you know the compression ratio, we don't need to know how big the domes are. Domes are not the best way to bump compression and are probably hurting the flow of the motor rather than helping it. Unless you need some serious compression, domes are bad.

Just for giggles, I did your setup with the compression you mentioned. I have exact numbers on cams and the flow numbers for the SR heads.

HP 379@ 5000 RPM
TQ 427@ 3000 RPM

Which sounds exactly right. I put a 272 comps cam in it and used headers in the combo.

Those are great numbers man, just build the motor, you'll be happy with the results. The torque figure is VERY good, and will be a killer on the street for sure. I actually like this setup very much, just enough cam to hear, nice torque, very streetable, even daily-driver quality. Don't worry about the numbers man. Take it to the track and lay waste, most of the guys who say they have 4 or 500 horse really only have just over 300 anyway!

You'll be in the low 13's with this setup, which is really hauling *****. One other thing to mention is that your torque curve for this setup is very flat, meaning consistent power and response throughout the power band. You get your HP early so you don't have to run super low gears and can still have it on the highway. One thing to remember is that a 380 horse motor with a flat curve and early HP will probably beat a 450 horse motor that is running a huge cam "stoplight to stoplight" (not implying streetracing, just using the term for reference). Peak HP means nothing, your band and curve are what to look at. YOu can't run your motor at 6500 R's all day long, so why not have your power where you drive it?

Good motor, Build it.

K