Hot Rod Forum banner

small block ford cast iron heads

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  red65mustang 
#1 ·
Anybody know of a econo cast iron cylinder head for the small block ford that is similar to what the GT-40 head was???? If so can you give me the part numbers????

Keith

#3 ·
Keith,
The head that was used on the V-8 Ford Explorers had the GT intake port but the standard exhaust port. Something about headers for this head was different also. You can get them pretty cheap. I can't remember the part number but I think they called them a P head.

Chris

#4 ·
head

Mike, It's for a street rod customer. It's a stock 351 rebuild with a very mild cam...

Chris, yes i have used the gt-40p heads before. There is a minor issue with the plug location when using stock manifolds. but i machined a clearance radius in them and they wrok good. The problem is that they are off of the ford books.....I should have bought 50 sets!!!!! L.O.L.

Keith

#11 ·
k-star said:
Anybody know of a econo cast iron cylinder head for the small block ford that is similar to what the GT-40 head was???? If so can you give me the part numbers????

Keith
The 69-70 Windsor head is the head that was copied to make the GT-40 iron heads which also used the new rocker arm type. I think the 87-93 Mustang E7TE 5.0 HO head with the CNC porting offered by PowerHeads is as good or superior. Depending what you are trying to accomplish.

#12 ·
xntrik said:
The 69-70 Windsor head is the head that was copied to make the GT-40 iron heads which also used the new rocker arm type. I think the 87-93 Mustang E7TE 5.0 HO head with the CNC porting offered by PowerHeads is as good or superior. Depending what you are trying to accomplish.
Didn't know that the '69 Windsor head was copied. I have a fresh set of these heads with oversized stainless valves setup for rollers and wanted to put them on a later 5.0 mustang. Are you saying I would be better off using the GT-40's ? Never saw anything documenting the flow of the Windsor head not even with stock valves. I would like to see the flow numbers on these.

#13 ·
Actually the E7TE heads are off of truck motors. In 1986 Ford was trying to find a good a head for the 87 HO 5.0 Mustang, because all of their the car heads sucked. They pulled the high torque fast burn combustion chamber truck heads off the shelves and slapped them on the Mustangs. They are nothing special, I don't think they flow any better than the earlier 289-302-351 heads, they just have better combustion chambers. If I was to build a Ford engine with stocker heads I would probably use either 69-74 351W heads or the E7TE, but this is just me.

#14 ·
Cstraub said:
Keith,
The head that was used on the V-8 Ford Explorers had the GT intake port but the standard exhaust port. Something about headers for this head was different also. You can get them pretty cheap. I can't remember the part number but I think they called them a P head.

Chris
I know of a lot of "P" heads, but that matter is entirely unrelated to cars............

From what I understand, the principal difference between the P head and others is just the smaller chamber. IIRC, they didn't use it in the 'Stang for long.

tom

#16 · (Edited)
onlythegood said:
Didn't know that the '69 Windsor head was copied. I have a fresh set of these heads with oversized stainless valves setup for rollers and wanted to put them on a later 5.0 mustang. Are you saying I would be better off using the GT-40's ? Never saw anything documenting the flow of the Windsor head not even with stock valves. I would like to see the flow numbers on these.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/5288/index.html

bear in mind these GT 40 heads are not those on the 93 Cobra, but the alum heads.

When 1.94/1.6 valves are put in the W heads with porting, they flow significantly better.

#20 · (Edited)
What is the source of these charts??? Other sources list some of these heads as virtually identical.

How can we determine the condition of the valve job, which valves are used, flow bench test procedures, etc.??

It is interesting that for almost "identical" heads there are almost 20 cfm differences. Differences that do not exist from other sources.

Just an observation..... :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.