Hot Rod Forum banner

Small block ford fireing order(s)

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 ·
So my dad who is an old time hotrodder and more specifically a chevy fan was working on our 66 fairlane and was having issues with the car idling like it had a monster cam or ... wrong fireing order.

Well the motor is a 85 302 out of a mustang the first year of the Roller cam motors and im not sure its a 5L or 302 ( i think there our differences between them) but anyways he had it fireing as a conventional 302 that he would be familiar with back in the day and it would shake the whole car and we knew it wasn't right.. so he changed the fireing order to a 351's and now it idles like a dream and runs great

im wondering if the "302" and the "5L" have a different firing order? he is convinced that it is a 351 now (which i know it isn't) but can somebody enlighten us?

#2 ·
85Sierra said:
So my dad who is an old time hotrodder and more specifically a chevy fan was working on our 66 fairlane and was having issues with the car idling like it had a monster cam or ... wrong fireing order.

Well the motor is a 85 302 out of a mustang the first year of the Roller cam motors and im not sure its a 5L or 302 ( i think there our differences between them) but anyways he had it fireing as a conventional 302 that he would be familiar with back in the day and it would shake the whole car and we knew it wasn't right.. so he changed the fireing order to a 351's and now it idles like a dream and runs great

im wondering if the "302" and the "5L" have a different firing order? he is convinced that it is a 351 now (which i know it isn't) but can somebody enlighten us?

Yes. The 5.0 HO engines used in the Mustang, TBird, Mark, and mid 90s Explorer have the W firing order. Not exactly sure which year that happened for Mustangs, but I think 82 even with the flat tappet engine.

All other 5.0s retained the conventional 302 firing order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.