Hot Rod Forum banner

Small Block Id Help Please

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  DoubleVision 
#1 ·
I am looking for some help with my small block chevy i belive it to be a 283 early yr since it has oil fill tube on the intake and rear block pvc tube
front id right side is FA37125F024D AND THE CASTING NUMBER ON THE REAR IS 3789935 I HAVE SEARCHED AND SEARCHED WITH NO LUCK CAN ANY ONE HELP ME WITH THIS

#4 ·
DoubleVision said:
3789935 283 61-66 230-315 car & Truck 2-bolt

If you couldn't find that casting number on a basic web search you didn't look very hard.
thanks i got it 61 to 64 car truck 3.8bore 3.0 stroke still do not know hp or torque though
i just got a 1950 willys and this is the motor in it now do you know what trany i can use to replace the powerglide dont rember if the 350 is the same length

#5 ·
Typing in 283 ID isn't going to get you anything. All you had to do was type in Small Block Chevy Casting Numbers. There's gotta be 300 sites on casting numbers alone. However if you ever need to look up the casting numbers again for blocks, cranks, heads, or even the suffix code for small and big block chevys then you can go to this site:
http://www.chevymania.com/

The PG to TH350 is a easy swap. You will want the Th350 with the 6 inch tailshaft which is the short tail. You will likely have to do a slight modification to the cross member to get it to clear the TH350s pan. The drive shaft will be the same lenth also. However I'm not sure if the spline count is the same, if it's not then this is no problem either. Just get a spline off a driveshaft from a vehicle that used a TH350, get a new universal joint and your good.
The TH350 would be the easiest swap. However the 2004R is the same lenth as a TH350 also, and it has a lower first gear and a overdrive. However there is more detail to the swap. The 700R4 will bolt in also, but the cross member would have to be moved as well as other changes. The TH400 would work also but really not needed behind a 283. The Th350 or the 2004R are the easiest of all the swaps. TH350's came in three tail lenths.
Short: 6 inches
Medium: 9 inches
Long: 12 inches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.