Small Block pushrod length? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2002, 06:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Red face Small Block pushrod length?

Here's a good one for ya, got a 350 chev its crate Goodwrench motor. Just fitted 282 cam hyd lifters & new chain, i've pulled the rocker studs & fitted screw-in studs with guide plates also using Harland Sharp roller rockers & stock length hardened pushrods to go with the guide plates.....now here's my problem the pushrods appear to be approx 3/4" too short & can't find any reference to this at all. Looks like the new roller rockers sit much higher up with the new taller stud position therefore requiring longer pushrods, or does the stud boss need lowering to lower the actual stud height??
Its been another late night in the workshop & its now 3am here in England so off to bed thinkin about my small block!! funny i'll be thinkin about something else when get up?
Any help with the push rods would be helpful! thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2002, 03:29 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

Did the rocker arm manufacturer say anything about milling to fit the arms properly?

Regardless, you are going to have to check your new valvetrain geometry with an checking pushrod-adjustible with a weak vave spring(s) (intake and exhaust) to ascertain that you have correct rocker arm/valve stem tip contact throughout the valve lift sequence.

You will then have to buy (or build) custom length push rods.

[ June 22, 2002: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>
Old 06-22-2002, 06:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Smile

thanks for reply, i think the roller rocker manufacturer assumes std press in studs are used therefor no head mods! but with the screw in studs & guide plates the whole assy sits too high giving incorrect roller tip to valve geometry; remedy is to mill the stud boss lower & as you say calculate correct operation of the rocker tip on the valve. But as usual any excuse for new toys & big dent in the Mrs bank account, just driven 500 miles & seven hours later i'm now the proud owner of a lovely pair of Dart Pro 1s.
That'll sort it!! thanks again.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.